It’s been a while since I’ve written anything very humorous. It’s not that my life isn’t just one sitcom moment after another but working, having middle schoolers, volunteering, yadda yadda yadda. The humor is there ya’ll. Sometimes I just can’t see it. Which brings me to my point…
I’ll be honest with you, I don’t really feel 46 but I am. Here are a few things that have made me feel really damn old lately:
- I am older than my new boss. I’ve got a new writing gig and just realized that yes, I am OLDER THAN MY BOSS. In fact I am the oldest person at the office. I am the baby of my family and I remember there was a time when I was always the baby at work. Dayum ya’ll.
- Some of my high school friends are posting pictures of their grandchildren on Facebook. GRANDCHILDREN? What the hell? Are my peers really old enough to be grandparents? Apparently.
- I can’t see. I seriously cannot freaking see anything close up any more. I have succumbed to buying Dollar Store readers in quirky animal print designs. My 10 year-old recently took one look at me and said, “Mom, you look like an old lady who is trying to be cool.” Awesome. I need a magnifying glass to read any product labels.
- My girls are amazed that I was alive when the original Star Wars movies were released. We have watched the entire series of movies in preparation for the new movie later this month (can’t wait!)
- I feel like a Cougar if I agree with my girls that any actor under the age of 30 is hot.
- My knees are making some sort of seriously disturbing crunching noises when I walk up stairs. I am researching supplements and getting excited about it. Share your faves. For real.
- I remember when Charlie Sheen was, well, one of those cute Sheen boys.
- I would rather sip wine at home in my comfy yoga pants and ratty old favorite t-shirt on a Friday night than do just about anything on this Earth.
- People in their 20s call me ma’am not out of courtesy but because I am indeed a ma’am.
Alright…how about you? Anything got you feeling a little or a lot old lately?
And honestly 99 percent of the time I feel pretty young. Here’s to age being JUST a number!
Not 46? 45? I love this essay from The Huffington Post.