It’s been a while since I’ve written a Social Media Monday post but the start of a new year is the perfect time to plan out your content and rethink your social media strategy.
We’ve moved beyond blogging, beyond social media management, and on to content marketing. The content you create, whether it be for your own personal platforms or your business, needs a long shelf life and in order to do so it must resonate with your readers. Planning out an editorial calendar for the year, however, can be a daunting task. Here are 10 ideas to effectively optimize old content and reenage your readers as you kick off a new year.
- Add a Pinnable image – Back in the BP (Before Pinterest) days of blogging I shared a lot of great content that didn’t necessarily feature an attention-grabbing Pinnable image.
- Curate a “wrap-up” type post – (my favorite posts of 2014, the most commented on posts of the year, my favorite images in 2014, etc.)
- Update your readers on the status of a situation you blogged about – a career change, a new puppy, a move to a new city, going back to school for a new degree, a fitness routine you launched, etc.
- Update a series such as an annual line-up of Super Bowl recipes, a list of your favorite bloggers, your favorite organizational or productivity apps, your recommended tech products, etc.
- Curate a post highlighting your favorite Tweets of the year and tell the story behind each one
- Create a SlideShare based on your post – SlideShare has more than 60 million unique visitors a month, generating over 215 million page views (Source: Social Media Examiner)
- Write a before and after post – room makeover, beauty makeover, blog makeover, etc.
- Curate your favorite posts – feature them on a Pinterest board OR create a group board asking a team of bloggers to also submit their favorite posts of the year
- Design a graphic highlighting your favorite posts or social media moments and post to Instagram, etc.
- Survey your readers – Ask for their feedback on past posts for examples of content categories you are considering focusing on in the new year
I’d been meaning to get onto Slideshare and then forgot all about it. Thanks so much for the prompt. I’ll make it a 2015 goal.
Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all Ill be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!
Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.