Disclosure: I received product in exchange for my honest review. Amazon affiliate links used.
It’s not often that I look forward to cleaning.
My girls and I have drooled over Shark’s commercials on TV, so when Shark contacted me about reviewing the new Shark Steam & Spray Mop I was definitely excited to test one out and when I mean test I mean REALLY put to work. We’ve been known to send a few vacuums to the vacuum graveyard over the years. With three dogs in the house now I need all the help I can get to maintain some sense of order and cleanliness.
I was familiar with Shark as a leader in steam cleaning, but did you know they are also the number one most recommended vacuum brand? They just released two new cleaning tools designed to make cleaning up messes a breeze: their first ultra-light vacuum AND the Shark Steam & Spray, which is now a well-loved member of my family. Wink.
Between work, and shuttling the girls from soccer practice to games and gymnastics to Girl Scouts, I don’t have a lot of down time and what down time I do have I don’t want to waste on cleaning the house. (Because DUDE that would be depressing.) I love gadgets and cleaning tools that make our busy lives easier.
When the Shark Steam & Spray arrived, I knew I’d hit motherhood gold when my girls were practically fighting over who would use it and were clamoring around while I opened the box. I could have kissed the Shark Steam & Spray at this point.
The Shark Steam & Spray was incredibly easy to assemble and I love the washable microfiber pad. It also doesn’t take very long for the water to heat up once you’ve filled the reservoir.
As you can see, the first time we used it on our hardwood floors it cleaned up QUITE a bit of dirt and grime.
Holy mother of dirt ya’ll…and yes that’s my 11-year-old willingly cleaning. Wahoo!
When I came down with a nasty virus Christmas night I was very happy to have the Shark Steam & Spray to eradicate the evil stomach bug germs. It does a fantastic job of cleaning and sanitizing our kitchen floor, bathroom floors, and is also safe for our hardwoods.
Speaking of germs, with flu season in full swing, I thought I’d share five interesting (if not disgusting) stats:
- The CDC recommends you scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds, or the equivalent of time it takes you to hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
- A 2007 Clemson University study found salmonella bacteria on the floor can contaminate food almost immediately when dropped, and it can survive up for four weeks on some surfaces.
- A study from the Hygiene Council (sponsored by the company that makes Lysol) found that kitchen floor just in front of the sink has more bacteria (830 per square inch) than the trash can (411 per square inch).
- Our shoes bring in a lot of unwanted germs. A 2008 study commissioned by Rockport showed that the high level (96 percent) of coliform and E. coli bacteria found on the outside of the shoes indicates frequent contact with fecal material, which most likely originates from public restroom floors.
- 80 percent of common infections, including the H1N1 flu virus, can be spread through contaminated hands, according to the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC).
The Shark Steam & Spray Mop has three cleaning modes:
• Steam & Spray Mode which is perfect for tough messes like stuck-on dirt or heavy traffic areas (like our vinyl floor in our kitchen)
• Steam Mode which tackles everyday cleaning and sanitizing jobs
• Spray Mode is ideal for quick, on-the-go messes and for use with Shark’s SaniFiber Disposable Pads
The Shark Steam & Spray comes with Steam Energized Multi-Floor Cleanser, which is non-toxic and biodegradable, making it safe around kids and pets. It’s also safe to clean all floor types, including tile, laminate, stone, marble, and sealed hardwoods. I love that there is no strong, chemical type smell after I’ve used this cleaner. I primarily use the steam only mode, though.
Our floors dry really quickly after using the Shark Steam & Mop, too, which is great because my kids and dogs can’t seem to stay out of the kitchen for more than 5 minutes. I’m definitely a fan!
The Shark Steam & Spray has a suggested price tag of $149.99 so it’s not inexpensive, but it’s definitely a GREAT investment, especially if you have kids and pets (like me!) You’ll never want to use a regular mop again.
Do you have a steam floor mop?