Any Given Monday (And Saturday, And Sunday…)

This past weekend marked our last for fall travel soccer (AKA soccer on steroids).

I’ll admit I’m ready for a little break from us all of us spending nearly our entire weekend at her games and me shuttling her to twice weekly practices but this girl will be ready to put her cleats back on as soon as practice starts back up again in December and indoor futsal gears up in January. I figure that is just enough time for the metal bleacher indentations on my butt to fade.

Miss C’s souvenirs from the season are much more fun.

Oh and if you ever doubt the tenacity and toughness of 9 and 10-year-old girls, one of Miss C’s teammates broke her arm during a tournament several weeks ago. Granted, it was “just” a buckle fracture but it was a fracture. A FRACTURE PEOPLE! And she got the go ahead to play with her cast in a fun match yesterday. Her bright green cast was protected with bubble wrap and she played like nothing had ever happened. Side note, a sweaty, smelly shin guard makes an excellent stabilizer for a broken arm when in a pinch on the soccer fields.

What can I say? Soccer girls kick grass!

Do your kids play sports? Both my girls play soccer (my 6-year-old daughter plays regular league) and my younger daughter is also interested in gymnastics. I’ve been waiting for her to change her mind about that, since last year she was also interested in martial arts and dance lessons and violin lessons and she loves art but gymnastics may be next on our list. It will probably do my butt good to have a little variety in bleachers.

1. EG says:

Little Man is very into soccer, and he’s good at it. He’s also extremely confident and convinced that he’s the fastest, best player on the field. We need to work on sportsmanship!

I think we’re going to try martial arts over the winter before soccer and tee-ball start up again. He could use some self-control.

EG:

I hear ya. I think martial arts or gymnastics would help Miss A with her coordination.

BMO: I think we are going to play a Chattanooga tournament in the spring. The furthest we’ve “traveled” so far is Cookeville!

Have some ribs for me! (If you get to venture out at all) and good luck this weekend.

3. LA says:

My daughter plays for a girls only soccer club. She just turned 12, and has played since she was 3. We live in Nebraska and have traveled to Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Illinois for soccer. She loves it! She’s our baby and only one that has played soccer.
    She also plays on a select softball team that travels all over to play and two select basketball teams. And she plays volleyball for her school. It seems like alot, but we really encourage her playing whatever she loves, if possible. (She’s also a straight A student! That comes first!) Plus, my husband and I have a real love of sports also. Good Luck! When these girls get soccer in their blood, there is no stopping them! Enjoy your little bit of down time!

Oh, and I second that comment on soccer girls being tough! So True!

4. Claire McKeon says:

I miss those soccer days! My kids are older so those days are gone. Enjoy!

mosaic317(at)gmail(dot)com

5. Kwhip says:

I, too, am glad the travel soccer season is over (until indoor starts in a week!). My 9-year-old son loves it, and it’s really fun to watch them all grow and learn the game. And I was a soccer player, so I know firsthand how tough those girls are!

6. Liz says:

Heh, I read Cookeville as Kook-ville. Then again, one of my favorite places to visit in the fall is Buttzville, NJ (I kid you not!)

7. EG says:

I really want to say, “My kids will NOT play travel sports until they’re close to scholarship age!” but I don’t want to have to eat crow in a few years.