Vicks VapoRub: All The Cool Moms (& Dads) Use It

I can’t quite quit my flip flops or shorts yet, but there’s a definite a nip in the air these recent fall mornings here in Nashville. My 9-year-old has a soccer tournament in Kentucky this weekend and the chilly forecast for her first game on Saturday has me on full-on fleece alert (not to mention hankering for hot coffee or even hot chocolate).

The change in the weather, unfortunately, always brings with it some unwanted sniffles. With a busy school and soccer schedule we don’t have time to get sick, though! My 6-year-old, Miss A, has already had her first bout with congestion and one of the first things I did was break out the familiar blue jar of Vicks VapoRub and her flannel pjs.

My mother relied on Vicks VapoRub when I was a little girl and now that I’m a mom Vicks is a must have in our medicine cabinet. The familiar menthol smell is a soothing reminder of all things comforting and caring to me, like curling up under a quilt made with love by my grandmother or the smell of a crackling fire in our wood-burning stove. There are some poignant sensory triggers that instantly take you back to being a child and feeling completely safe and loved in your own home.

I’m proud to tell ya’ll I have been asked to be a Vicks VapoRub mom this fall and winter, along with some other great bloggers like fellow Tennessee mom Robin from Pensieve, the hilarious Jenny from Mommin’ It Up, and my California peepΒ Sugar Jones. I’ll be sharing news and updates from Vicks over the next several months as well as giving some personal anecdotes about Vicks VapoRub. And although I’m somewhat joking about being a “cool mom,” I am at least cool to my kids. OK my coolness is slowly wearing off for the 9-year-old. I still have the 6-year-old totally fooled.

The big news for Vicks VapoRub is that they’ve signed on a well-known dad to be part of their ad campaigns. This is the first time a dad has been featured in Vicks VapoRub ads in the 100 plus years it has been around! You can find out more on the Vicks VapoRub Facebook page, where they’ve been posting teasers about the Vicks VapoDad. Rumor has it the big reveal is THIS WEEK.

What sights, sounds and smells of fall remind you of your childhood? I grew up in tobacco country in northern Middle Tennessee so the smell of tobacco being fired in barns always takes me back to fall days as a kid.

Disclosure: I am being compensated for my work with Vicks but, as always, the words and stories I share with you are all my own.

1. Susan says:

Fall for me as a kid meant harvest – riding in the combine with my dad, eating dinners out in the field… Luckily, I’ve been able to share some of that with my son when he gets to go farming with grandpa.

2. Cheryl says:

Oh my gosh, I love LOVE LOVE the smell of Vicks VapoRub-absolutely one of my favorites, but I also love the smell of PineSol-weird I know, but I can’t help it!

3. Jamie says:

Susan and Cheryl:

I love your memories. Thanks for sharing. πŸ™‚

I also love the smell of Play Doh, new shoes, crayons…reminds me of school as a child! As far as cleaners go, Murphy’s Oil Soap always reminds me of my mom. I use it to clean our hardwood floors.

4. Nelson's Mama says:

You know I love barn fires.

My grandmother was a FIRM believer in Vick’s too (and Watkin’s liniment) – her favorite remedy for a cough was to smear it on my chest and then take a piece of HOT, HOT flannel and plaster it to me. Oh, I hated that way that felt!

5. Ernestine says:

Memories of Vicks, you, your sister’s and brother. Could not had made through
    the winter without it. It is still in my medicine cabinet when I feel the slightest congested. Oh, thank you for telling me that when you smell Murphy’s Oil Soap
    you think of me – what a compliment πŸ™‚

6. Lisa says:

I like the smell of vicks vapor rub only because is soothes me for some reason. I use it a lot on myself when I feel a fever coming on.

Recently, I used it around the perimeter of my head before hair dying–to keep the dye from staining…couldn’t find the petroleum jelly…lol.

7. Anash says:

no seriously vicks vapor rub is a stapple in the winter…i have yet to find any product comparable to it! it just WORKS!

8. Dahbou says:

I absolutely love the smell of Vick’s. I still remember it from when I was little but I also use it nowadays. Once in a while I open the jar and take a good long sniff. I also think it’s fantastic that Vick’s has a dad for their campaign.

9. rob says:

I came upon your post–which I enjoyed, btw–while searching: “scarred dad in vicks ad”. I have an 8-yr-old and a 10-mo-old (who I’m holding at the moment) and, as a Dad who spends as much time with his kids as possible, I thought it odd that Vicks would pick such a unique (actor/model/average joe?) example to represent caring Dads. Since, as you mention, this is the 1st time Vicks has done this, wouldn’t they pick a more universally appealing (safe?) representative?
    Of course, as a 40-something myself, maybe I just don’t recognize one of today’s well-known, young actors or celebrities!