Missing Our Girl

It’s been five weeks since we had to say goodbye to our first girl.

I miss that neurotic old dog and I miss her sweet smell of a puppy days when everything in her path was fair game as a chew toy.

I miss the staccato click clicking of nails on our hardwood floors and her shameless begging for table scraps.

I miss her crooked little leg and her big brown eyes and her love of napping in the sun. We’ll never know how her leg was injured, as she was about 3 months old when we brought her home from the Nashville Humane Association, but that experience undoubtedly left its mark on her and her disposition for the rest of her life, no matter how much we made her feel loved.

And she was loved.

I miss her bossing our dog Jack around like a grumpy old lady and by the way he occasionally sulks and whimpers when I get home from work I know he misses every ounce of alpha dog in her 38-pound body, too.

I just flat out miss her ya’ll, and so does hubby, tremendously. I still can’t talk about her without crying.

This picture is a classic prank ultrasound photo my hubby made in 2001 when we first announced we were having a baby.

Now this?

Makes me smile on a sad day.

1. Maureen says:

I love the ultrasound picture.. brought a smile to my face as well.. very cute..
    I understand what you are going thru as I had to have my cat that I had for 14 years put down on Friday… I miss her bossing me around all day long.. She would DEMAND to be fed several times a day.. DEMAND to have the front door opened so if she could decide if she was going out to catch some rays… or if she would just stand there with the door open and smell the outside world..
    Pets.. they sure do bring a lot of Joy to the world..

2. Niki says:

So sorry for your loss — it is one of the hardest things life can throw your way. Time will help and eventually the pain will subside and you will be left with all of the wonderful memories your family made together. Peace and blessings to you.

3. The Petite Young Blonde says:

That’s so hard! The PYB still misses the BEST KITTY IN THE WORLD, Riley, who died 2 years ago this summer. Her feelings are still just hurt and bruised over that. She dug the hole and place the BEST KITTY IN THE WORLD in it and sat down and cried like a baby.

She hopes the pain subsides for you and God bless your husband for the ultrasound picture!

4. Jamie says:

Awww thanks ya’ll! The ultrasound photo is flat out hilarious. This file was on my computer at work and I know a larger copy exists somewhere.

Must NOT LOSE the hilarious Bailey ultrasound photo.

It is awesome. 🙂

She is missed.

5. Jean says:

Isn’t it funny how these animals worm their way into our hearts? When they are gone there is a huge hole left where they used to be. Miss her always and cherish her memory.
    The ultrasound is so cute!
    Isnt this week glorious in Tennessee?

6. Amy says:

Hugs to you. It just takes time. I sometimes still miss the old Cote-bear. He was our first “baby”! He layed on my big prego belly when I was pregnant with Aaron.

7. Diane @ BeStillaMinute says:

So sorry. I know this pain all too well. I lost my first ‘baby’ ( a long haired dachshund) in 2009 after 14 years with her. I adopted two more after she died but I swear not a single day goes by that I don’t think of her or talk about her. Still brings a tear to my eye sometimes too. She was an alpha dog too, all 13 pounds of her! ((Hugs)) It will get easier with time.

8. nike lunar 6 0 says:

I write a leave a response when I especially enjoy a article on a site or I have something
    to add to the discussion. Usually it’s triggered by the sincerness communicated in the article I browsed.
    And on this post Missing Our Girl – Blonde Mom Blog.
    I was actually moved enough to post a thought 😛 I do have 2 questions for you if it’s okay.
    Is it only me or do some of these remarks come across like written by brain dead
    visitors? 😛 And, if you are posting at other places, I’d like to keep up with
    anything new you have to post. Would you list all of your community pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?