That Which Doesn’t Kill Us Makes Us Stronger To Carry That Box O Wine

Last year for Lent I gave up drinking any and all forms of alcohol. I somehow lived through this trying time and came through on the other side, well…thirsty.

I don’t even really remember last spring or how I managed to pull this off without going insane, as mama likes her nightly glass of wine, but hubby says I was extremely cranky toward the end and well, we all know what that’s husband code for.

This year for Lent we both gave up Cokes and sodas of all varieties and it really hasn’t been too bad except for a couple of weeks ago when I saw a 3-year-old chugging on an 18-ounce of Coke at a birthday party like she was swigging moonshine. I was tempted to take it from her.

I’ve also given up the elevator at work and I’m taking the stairs. Now before you get too impressed you should know that I work on the second floor of my building.

All this sacrifice must be paying off, though, because this morning I weighed and I’ve lost almost 6 pounds since December 31. OK so maybe it’s more like 5 point something pounds. I’ll TAKE IT.

Some people have a food baby, I apparently have a Coca Cola baby in my belly.

Now if I can continue to stay strong until Easter I may have this muffin top thing whipped.

Did you give up anything for Lent? And no, we’re not Catholic. I just like the idea of a little motivational Jesus action to help me give up some bad health habits.

1. amy2boys says:

Great news on the shrinking Coke baby! I add a spiritual practice and I make a sacrifice. Sacrifice-wise, this year I gave up sugar in my coffee, and I’m a BIG coffee drinker, so it’s a bigger deal than it sounds. It has gone pretty well. I also gave up cussing, not that I cuss a ton but just to clean things up I gave it up — including that head cussing, which is most of mine. The under the breath or not out loud cuss. I do that a lot.

It has not.gone.well.

2. Susan says:

A friend of mine gave up shopping on the internet. Including browsing. I haven’t asked her how it’s going, but I know I would have failed on the first day.

3. Jamie says:

Amy I like the spiritual practice idea, too. I so need that. Ahem.

Susan, I could never give up the Internet and window shopping online. NEVER! 😉 I don’t even shop that much in real life but I love to browse online and spend my imaginary money. Ha ha.

Mama..no worries…the girls do not drink much Coke at all! A little rootbeer or Sprite for a treat. 🙂

4. Alexis of NorthOnHarper says:

I do not drink Coke regularly- although it is practically my favorite thing on the planet (I was raised in Atlanta and being the home of Coca-Cola you are practically required to by law!). Cutting it out has made a major difference in my body. So I cheer you on!!! Maybe after lent only drink it once a week….

5. Jennifer says:

I’ve heard of a lot of people giving up soda and it having that effect. Good for you!

And if you can’t imaginary shop how do you spend your imaginary lottery winnings?

6. amie says:

Baked goods! Hubster and daughter gave up soda, son gave up tea. My kids are sneaking around trying to find out what everyone in family gave up , so we can provide it for family Easter brunch at our house . We also try to be thoughtful and giving to our church and parish shcool. How fortuitous that the giant auction fundraiser happens during lent & I am on planning committee. Can yoyu sat about a billion volunteer hours?

7. Samantha Gluck says:

I am so glad I just discovered your awesome blog! I loved this post and I laughed out loud! I need to cut WAY back on the soda (Diet DP). I support DP. They follow me on twitter even! Anyway, love your writing style and various insights!