This Is Your Car, This Is Your Car On Kids

You know what’s sad?

I’ve been driving around with this balloon bobbing around in the back of my SUV for a week now and I don’t even care.

It’s like a colorful, helium-filled “kick me, I might as well be a minivan” sign.

We also came home with a bobble-head Chuck E. cup, one that’s refillable for a lifetime, a fact the Chuck E. Cheese door bouncer shared with such pride that I swear it was like she was telling me we were getting a full-ride scholarship to Harvard. Altogether now: bobble-head, Chuck E., refillable, lifetime. Shoot me now!

I have emptied out the fall season soccer gear and Halloween randomness, but I’m not touching that melted chocolate raisin mess that’s ingrained into the fabric on the back seat.  It reminds me too much of well…nevermind. If you’re a parent, YOU KNOW.

1. Jennifer says:

It is time for me to take the car seats out and wash them again. I’m not looking forward to it. I found a milk cup the other day that had leaked onto a pull up (thank God) and it was all moldy and gross. All I could think is “when did I get this nasty?”

2. Colleen - Mommy Always Wins says:

Every time I make a turn in my car, there’s this loud…”tinkling” noise as pieces from two plastic McDonald’s Happy Meal toys roll from one side of my car to the other. I believe they’re some sort of owl 3D “puzzle” from some movie, but all the pieces are about one step from being thrown out!

3. Patrice McCrary says:

Teachers of young children also have “the car is my traveling storage unit” syndrome. The back of my Envoy now holds: christmas bell ornaments for our Polar Express experience, halloween decorations from our recent party, two versions of Stone Soup for our Friendship/cooperation lesson near Thanksgiving, three content books, a child’s plastic chair and two teacher bags of items to work on over the weekend. That was all just placed in the car today. My husband lovingly calls it my school “junk.” I take offense to that! I call it my school “treasures.” 🙂

4. Sheri O. says:

Oh yes, I can so relate! Personally, I am not looking under my kids car seats until they are at least in middle school, by that time all the crumbs and food bits lurking under the seats will have grown legs and walked off on thier own!
    Hubby swears a hungry homeless person could eat for a week with all the scraps I am hauling around in the minivan!
    Oh, and don’t even get me started on the joys of driving the dreaded minivan!!!

5. Kimbuckjr says:

Been there, done that! My little car (Honda Civic) is also known as “my daughter’s bedroom…on wheels.” If we can’t find a ‘certain’ toy in the house the next place to look is my car. It’s pretty sad!
    The sad thing is, this is an improvement compared to my daughter’s toddler years (my daughter is now 7-years old).
    When my daughter was still in a baby seat (prior to the booster seat) I would allow her to eat and drink while on the road. Well…my kick-back, easy going self quickly changed when my husband came into the house one day screaming at me that he had found ‘MOUSE’ droppings in the back seat, where our daughter sat in her baby seat! Eeewwww – GROSS! I immediately took the Shop-Vac and vacuumed out the back seat, steralized the baby seat and all the surrounding area. Apparently, the mice were coming into my car through the wheel wells and pigging out during the wee hours of the night/morning. GROSS!
    From that moment on I have never allowed my daughter to eat and/or drink (unless it’s water) in my car. I don’t even eat and/or drink my car anymore.
    So instead of mouse poop, I now haul soccer, school, and gymnastics gear with me wherever I go. I prefer the trade-off, that’s for sure!

Thank you for your time!

Kim (Kimbuckjr)

6. Susan Smith says:

It was hard keeping my car clean when my children were young with their toys, sippy cups and snacks. Now that they are older they know what they bring into the car they take out!