Werewolves, Ninjas, And Grumpy Mothers Oh My

For weeks Miss A talked up being a werewolf for Halloween. I tried to persuade her to change her mind, I’ll admit. I guess I was missing the sweet princess era, which apparently came to a resounding halt two years ago when she dressed up like “Sleeping Booty” and I fixed her hair in a feminine up do befitting of a princess. I’m not really surprised by her request, though, since she’s my girl who has told me she wants a motorcycle and to smoke a cigar when she turns 16.

Last weekend after her outpatient surgery I decided my sweet baby girl would be a werewolf if that’s really what she wanted to be. I mean it could be worse, right?

We headed to Party City and she stood there gazing up at the great wall of costumes in awe. We found a werewolf costume in the boys’ section but it was too large. I secretly felt a glimmer of hope stirring within my manipulative mother’s soul. Maybe she’d change her mind? Well she would have nothing else but a werewolf costume. We headed down to the mask aisle and there it was…the perfect mask. We even found crazy werewolf gloves. She really wanted a plaid shirt to complete the look, just like the boys’ costume set, so we trekked over to Goodwill and found the perfect brown plaid button down.

Voila!

Werewolf costume

Blurry iPhone photo…or maybe it’s blurry because I was shaking in SHEER TERROR.

Yesterday after school I was helping her take her boots off and she laid her head down on my lap and looked up at me with big brown eyes, “Mommy, you know what I really want to be now for Halloween?”

“A ninja!”

1. UncommonBlonde says:

What a good mother you are! I bet it took a lot to buy that costume for her but what a great exercise in letting your child express herself and be creative. I have always admired my parents for supporting me and my siblings although we might have had different tastes and ideas on things. Now if only I can follow in these footsteps … it’s going to be REALLY hard if my little one wants to get a scary mask instead of a princess costume 😉 I’m a bit of a control freak …

2. Katie says:

If there’s such thing as being an adorable werewolf then your little one achieved it –she’s so darn precious!

A ninja? Wow, this little girl is really giving you a run for your $$, literally. But at least if you cave and make a ninja suit (maybe an old karate uniform?) you’ll be able to see her pretty face. Good luck w/ the costume situation & Happy Halloween! 🙂

3. Jamie says:

Jessica, I’m kind of a control freak so trust me…it was difficult to let this go. Ha ha!

I honestly think she may make young children cry tomorrow night at Trunk or Treat at her cousins’ church.

4. ernestine says:

You are a better mom – then your mom. I could not have gone that route with you.
    Since I am of another generation – what is a “ninja”?

5. Ann Ford says:

Jamie you are an awesome MOM!! I only have one granddaughter and 4 grandsons. My granddaughter is a girly girl!! But She would love the werewolf costume! She started her first year of middle school this year and is having a ball and keeping the grades up too!! I was so afraid of middle school I just about cried. But she is loving every minute; playing clarinet in the band (even though at first she said she did not want to be in the band because of the age old thing “all band people are nurds!!” She made up her own mind and shocked us all when she decided she wanted to be a band nurd! She is president of student council and of her 4-H, She is having so much fun that the fear I had is gone. They grow up so quickly; and we have to let them be themselves; I think MISS A is an adorable werewolf.
    I made a ninja cosutme for one my grandsons when he was five or six; but then it was teen-age mutant ninja turtle. It almost needed a degree in engineering to make that costume. I have made most of their costumes until they got old enough that it did’t interest them anymore. I Spent days and nights on end making a fairy costume that had so many layers of net my machine needle broke a dozen times! It is so much fun to do; I am glad you are having such a great time with your kids. YOU GO GIRL!!! Love you Ann

6. Balisha says:

Oh, Jamie…this is just too cute! I remember when we stayed overnight at my Mom’s and watched the Miss America pageant. In the morning when my petite daughter came down the stairs…my Dad said, “Here she is our future Miss America.” She promptly said in her little deep voice, “I don’t wanna be Miss America…I want to be a truck driver.” Enjoy all these moments…they’ll be gone before you know it. Balisha

Balisha, ha! I love it. That sounds like my Miss A.

She’s not a total tomboy. Last night we were in Cracker Barrel in the Christmas section of their store and she ooohed and aaaahed over a little red velvet dressy Christmas purse.

8. Tessie says:

I love it!! I was like that not a total tom boy but not totally girlie…it led to me joining the military and becoming a cop who could fire a weapon without breaking her brand new nails during the recoil…:) I am very proud of that lol.

9. Jennifer says:

I think this is hilarious. I have a friend whose daughter looks exactly like Snow White. When she was three she convinced/bribed/forced her to be Snow White for Halloween. About a week before Halloween her daughter came and woke her up one morning and said, “Mom, Barnie says we can be whoever we want to be, and I want to be a Pink Power Ranger.” She NEVER was able to get her to dress up as Snow White.

10. Jessica Moore says:

This is hilarious! I think it’s awesome that you let her be a werewolf! I remember how excited I was as a child to get to pick out whatever costume I wanted. This is one story you can tell her when she gets older and laugh about it.

11. Malia says:

I can’t even begin to express how much I LOVE this. There are so many reasons behind why I love it so much but to go into them would be a blog post and a half all on it’s own. Suffice it to say, this made me smile and beam when I read it and saw the picture. You and Miss A rock!

12. Amanda Starr says:

Looking around the site today and saw this post. It’s nice to know that my girl wasn’t the only one that wanted to be a werewolf this year!! I’ll have to show her the picture. Thanks for sharing and also making me feel like my little one isn’t too coo coo cuckoo haha.