I Am Soccer Mom, Hear Me Cry

Miss C, ninth season of soccer, age 8

I don’t have an athletic bone in my body, so it is pleasantly surprising to me that my first-born daughter, Miss C, is not just playing soccer, but excelling at it. The season winds down this weekend and her team is undefeated.

I was always the scrawny girl with wild long hair who was just a wee bit uncoordinated. The only sport I was playing when I was 8 was holy terror dodge ball instigated by sadistic 4th grade boys who looked 14 trying to fatally wound 3rd graders, especially the scrawny ones that they could pick off one by one on the playground.

Miss C is wrapping up her ninth season of soccer. It’s difficult for me to even wrap my brain around that, but she has the trophies proudly displayed in her bedroom to prove it. Nine seasons? Did she start playing IN THE WOMB? No, but she did start playing when she was just 4. Playing soccer at age 4 is really an excuse for parents to take pictures of their kids looking completely adorable running around aimlessly in black soccer shorts and colorful jerseys that swallow them.

It’s funny, well not really, what babies you have still when your kids are 4. You don’t even realize it until you look back at their photos.

Miss C, first season of soccer, age 4

1. Sarah says:

Wow! It seems like yesterday she was just starting! Time is zooming by like that with my little one too! And, I hear you about no athletic bone in your body. I used to hate the PE teacher who put out the volley balls for dodge ball games. And what was with those nine year old boys with arms like they’d been lifting in the gym and shooting up with roids?

2. Sarah Pietrzak says:

She looks so happy! Congrats on having a daughter who is so talented. I’m the same, I’m not remotely good at sport yet my son blows me away with his hockey skills. Husband and I look at each other bewildered and wonder: “where on earth did that gene come from?”

3. Katie says:

Aww, she is absolutely adorable!! I love both pics, but the 4 year old pic especially melts my heart — she was so tiny!! 🙂

4. Deb - Mom of 3 Girls says:

Oh, I know what you mean! I’ve been a soccer mom for five years now. And I had both the experienced player this fall (Hannah) in her fourth year of playing, and the 4-year-old (Becca) running around in oversized jersey and shorts. Which was darn cute. 🙂 I know that I’ll blink and she’ll be likely starting her fourth year of playing before I know it too. Sigh.

Way to go, Miss C!! 🙂

5. Tabor says:

Your description of 4-year-old soccer champs is right on. I have a ton of photos of my grandchild being a lovable doofus on the field.

6. Niq says:

FOOD NETWORK’S hit show
    “WORST COOKS in AMERICA ” is back!
    LOOKING FOR THE WORST COOKS IN AMERICA TO COMPETE TO BE THE MOST IMPROVED & WIN BIG $$!

Casting immediately all over the country!
    Are you a really bad cook? Do you need major help in the kitchen?
    Do friends avoid your dinner parties like the plague?
    Does your husband or wife serve you dinnertime disasters?
    Is your friend or family member a catastrophe in the kitchen?
    IF SO WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU IMMEDIATELY!
    To apply for yourself or nominate someone email us at: worstcooksnyc@gmail.com
    INCLUDE INFO BELOW & Tell us why you (or the person you are nominating) are the most disastrous cook in the country
    MUST INCLUDE
    NAME OF WORST COOK AND NOMINATOR
    BOTH NOMINATOR AND NOMINEE CAN WRITE US AN EMAIL
    RELATION TO EACH OTHER (IE: FRIEND, SPOUSE, RELATIVE, ETC)
    AGE*
    Tel # for both worst cook and nominator:
    WHERE YOU LIVE (city//state)
    Occupation,
    Include name
    photo
    TELL US WHY U OR THE PERSON YOU ARE NOMINATING IS THE WORST COOK-TELL US DISASTER STORIES, THE MORE THE MERRIER-funny stories are great. What was your worst cooking moment? What is at stake? Why would you want to improve cooking? ie: health, kids, impress someone, relationship, etc…