Basket Case

So I signed up for what I definitely didn’t think wouldn’t be a challenging school volunteer position, but one that is officially over as of next week (cue choir of slacker angels singing “Freedom” by George Michael.)

I signed up to be the coordinator for Miss A’s kindergarten class basket for the annual school fall fundraiser silent auction.

Technically the baskets were due yesterday but since I have been gallivanting about in Hollywood with Katie and Jen and Eva and Amy I am turning ours in late. The basket is based on the five senses (same as last year and everyone seemed happy with that so I didn’t feel the need to rack my brain for a new theme.) The centerpiece item is an in-home wine tasting for 6 to 8 people by a local wine expert and will feature two bottles of red and two bottles of white wine. Everything else in our basket is kind of a mixed bag, literally; I have several gift certificates, including one for dinner and a massage, and passes to two local museums.

The problem? I have to make this basket scream BID ON ME.

I can’t put actual wine bottles in the basket but was feeling okay about it after buying some wine tasting props such as wine glasses, wine glass charms, coasters, etc., but then I ran into another mom at soccer today and she was telling me that her movie night theme basket was so behemoth that she couldn’t lift it by herself. And then she proceeded to tell me how incredibly amazing all the baskets looked and how she was joking with people about how they must have had professional decorators put them together.

WTH?!

I am so freaking screwed.

I guess I’ll be out shopping for more goodies so Miss A’s class basket doesn’t look woefully pathetic. I am no Martha Stewart so I’m hoping it doesn’t look obvious I am not confident in my silent auction basket assembly skills.Β  And then I’ll be having my own damn wine tasting in my own house this weekend to celebrate after I turn that sucker in.

Girl I will DO IT!

One of my co-workers, God bless her, brought me some cellophane wrap with gold leaves on it to dress it up. I also bought nice wire ribbon at Michaels.

GAH !!!!!!!!!!!!! πŸ˜‰

Going to hit Dollar Tree and TJ Maxx later tonight. Thankfully Michaels had a nice line of autumn theme entertaining stuff that wasn’t pricey.

Hey if anyone has ANY IDEAS for other accessories for wine, let me know (bottle opener, nice bottle stopper…?)

2. Tabor says:

This is such a scene out of that short TV series with Debra Messing when she gets dumped by her producer husband and has to compete with all the rich hollywood A-list at her husbands school. Are you sure you don’t live in L.A.

3. rowena___. says:

what else do you have in the basket already? when we got married we received a terrific basket from the crew at TPAC that had:

*cheese board, cheese knives, and a selection of cheeses
    *tablecloth and towels
    *music CD
    *candles
    *several bottles of wine
    *wine glasses
    *wine bottle chiller
    *this cool gadget that seals vacuum seals the wine bottle after opening
    *coffee table book about the work of andrew goldsworthy
    *gift certificate to a local art gallery and shop

it seems like there was more but i can’t remember right now, i’ll come back and comment again if anything else comes to mind.

Thank you Rowena!!

I just literally got back from TJ Maxx and Dollar Tree where I found an awesome wine guide and some really neat small square appetizer plates as well as some gourmet crackers. So…it’s not looking too shabby now. I also had bought some fall raffia type stuff to fill the bottom.

As for misc. stuff I have a reed diffuser thing and massage oil for scent as well as Country Music Hall of Fame passes and Frist Center passes (10!) and an Outback gift card and one for a 30-minute massage and a $50 iTunes gift card.

I would like to find a bottle opener and some bottle stoppers but I couldn’t find any. I do need some cheese to go with the crackers.

It’s slowly coming together!

5. Jennifer says:

Oooohhhhh! Bath and body stuff. Some hand made stuff. Head to your local farmers market or some other venue for some really high end B&B stuff. Not that I;m biased or anything.

That covers the smells and feels.

6. Mary @ The Writer's Block says:

Jamie–do you remember the baskets from last year? I think there were all types of baskets: big, small, etc.

Your gift cards sound awesome!!!

One of my kids’ classes is doing JUST a basket full of gift cards. I think it’s a great idea even though it won’t LOOK big.

I really think you’ll be fine.

Oh, and one tip, in case you hadn’t heard this trick before: wad up newspapers, paper bags, etc. for the bottom, then cover that with your raffia or those shreds. Set the stuff on top.
    .-= Mary @ The Writer’s Block´s last blog ..More to Come! =-.

7. Cleaning MK says:

Hello,

Cool blog.. you remind me of someone I know….

When I was younger I remember seeing these kind of hampers at christmas and I remember my dad struggling to carry one… It was full of so much stuff!!

What did you end up putting in yours?

Danny
    .-= Cleaning MK´s last blog ..Welcome =-.

Ya’ll!!!!!

The basket is up to $500 on bidding and the auction is not over until tonight.

WOOT!

Anyone want to hire me to put together a wine basket? πŸ˜‰

9. noi that oto says:

Hi! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after going through some of the posts I realized it’s new to me. Anyhow, I’m definitely happy I stumbled upon it and I’ll be bookmarking it and checking back frequently!