Things That Bother Me More Than Katy Perry Showing Elmo Her Cleavage

That bossy Ruby.

That red thing on Yo Gabba Gabba.

The name Hooter Hiders (although this is definitely a tres cute nursing cover up!) But seriously…HOOTER HIDERS. I can’t imagine registering for one of those. I thought My Breast Friend was bad.

This Halloween costume being available in a size 4 to 6 girls. Nothing like Coyote Ugly in training for your first grader!

I think Katy Perry’s music is fun and catchy. We’ve been known to sing California Gurls in the car. I mean you can’t go wrong with Snoop Dogg, although I’m hoping my 5-year-old doesn’t sing about gin and juice in music class any time soon.

Katy Perry’s website still has her matched up with Elmo Hot N Cold video, even after Sesame Street decided to pull it. Honestly her outfit doesn’t really bother me as much as the fact that once you introduce your little ones to kiddified versions of top 40 songs (such as instant ear worm generator Kidz Bop), they don’t know the difference when they hear the real songs on the radio and if you’re not careful about monitoring what they listen to they’re hearing the non-kiddified version of Hot N Cold and all about PMSing like a bitch.

Nice.

What do ya’ll think? Should Katy Perry have been on Sesame Street at all? Could they have given her a Hooter Hider? (Heh.)

p.s. My favorite all-time musician match up on Sesame Street was with REM.

Disclosure: Amazon affiliate link used.

1. EG says:

Okay, maybe this is discrimination against chesty girls, but I am one so I can say it. If you have little boobs like Katy Perry, it’s not really obscene to wear something skimpier like she was wearing on Sesame Street. Actually I kind of feel the same way about that girl “pirate” costume. Might be better on a 7-year-old than a 12-year-old.

I think Katy Perry is fun, although probably somebody at Sesame Street could’ve avoided this whole thing by asking her to change her shirt. Parents should be way more offended by their kids being able to read the cover of Cosmo in the grocery store line.
    .-= EG´s last blog ..Conversations with Little Man =-.

2. Michelle Smiles says:

I don’t really care if Katy was on Sesame Street – but you are right…I would prefer that it be to sing a kids song rather than changing words to an inappropriate song. And while I wouldn’t have blown a gasket if she had appeared in that outfit, I would have wondered what moron thought it was appropriate attire for the pre-school crowd. It is a big enough battle to keep my daughter from growing up too fast without her wanting the “princess outfit” (how she sees anything she thinks is pretty) Katy was wearing on Sesame Street. I just don’t understand the through process when someone said “THAT is the perfect outfit for our target audience of 3-6 yr olds!”

(Ruby is so bossy and Sabrina imitates her and pretends Tessa is Max. Drives me nuts.)

3. Jennifer says:

I don’t care if Katy Perry shows her cleavage to Elmo, but I don’t really want her showing it to my two year old. Even though he doesn’t know what cleavage is, or what it means, or that it relates to sex, or what sex means. I still believe that he shouldn’t be exposed to those types of things at his age. I feel there are appropriate things for kids, and inappropriate. Anything remotely related to sex is inappropriate for the pre-school crowd. And actually, is completely unnecessary. I mean how hard would it have been for her to wear a regular top and pants or a skirt that was just a little bit longer. Not all that hard.

4. lifeinapinkfibro says:

Hmmm. I haven’t seen Katy with Elmo, though I confess I do love the Sesame Street cameos. Nobody needs their hooters out in Big Bird territory though. And I agree that the name of that product is hideous. Also, what’s wrong with using a strategically placed baby wrap? There’s a product for everything these days…

And I am SO with you on the Yo Gabba Gabba guy. In fact, that whole show annoys me endlessly. Possibly because it seems to go on FOREVER!
    .-= lifeinapinkfibro´s last blog ..Building resilience in plants and kids =-.

5. ernestine says:

Mom has arrived over the hill. Do not understand any of this 🙂
    Sure pleased that when I raised you, sisters and brother I did not have to deal with this. We hardly watched television 🙂
    .-= ernestine´s last blog ..September Ending =-.

6. Angel says:

I am not a mom, but honestly I don’t see anything wrong with her outfit, i mean she had the lace/mesh coverup thing as well and it was “dress up” clothes from what I got out of it. But like I said I am not a mom, although I do think her music is catchy and my five year old niece belts out her songs in the car.
    .-= Angel´s last blog ..So I Might Be Moving Again =-.

7. Kimberly says:

I think it’s just another example of kids being desensitized more and more at an earlier age.

8. Kari says:

Why didn’t Sesame Street just make Perry wear a nice flattering Tee Shirt? Did they not think about her wardrobe before doing the show? Come on its Sesame Street! Surely a producer or director thought before hand “Maybe Katy should wear something less revealing for this children’s show.” Now I start to wonder who is running Sesame Street.

Even though I like her music her outfit was just like the Halloween costume above, not appropriate. A little girl sees that and thinks its normal and wants to wear it. What happen to modesty? I can’t go to a store and buy an outfit for my niece anymore that I feel is modest. Everything is getting more skimpy. Swimsuits have less material to cover you up, Halloween costumes are too revealing, and if cheerleading outfits get any more revealing then they will be wearing bikini’s.
    .-= Kari´s last blog ..What a Great Week =-.

9. Carrie says:

It didn’t really bother me, she looked like Tinkerbell.

But, I do think it would have been better if that sheer fabric that actually crosses her chest (it’s hard to see, but it’s there) should have been much darker, or glitter, or something to de-emphasize the offending bits.

I thought the song was awesome and I really hope they somehow fix her attire and still air it.

The top of her costume actually reminds me of the sheer fabric you see on figure skaters’ costumes. They could have brought up the green fabric a tad higher and it would have been fine!

11. Tessie says:

I actually liked the Katy Perry video with Elmo my boys did also. I could not for the life of my figure out what was wrong with what she was wearing. But then again my kids listen to both the kid version and the real versions of songs and the only thing they seem to care about is the fact that they can dance to the music. I listened to everything as a kid because my mom let me and I think I fared pretty well.