I Need To Plan To Prepare A Dinner Plan As Soon As I Have Time To Plan

Last night was a classic example of a school night dinner plan fail.

Miss C had soccer practice at 5 and I didn’t realize until 6 that her coach had decided to extend all practices by a half hour. Maybe 30 minutes doesn’t sound like that long, but it was muggy out, I was cranky from counting all the mosquito bites on my arms and legs, and Miss A had been playing barefoot on the playground so long that her feet were stained permanently black. In other words, we weren’t going to get away with skipping showers after dinner, whatever the heck dinner was going to be.

Hubby had to work late on the other side of town and couldn’t leave his client’s for at least another 30 minutes. He had planned on getting home while we were at practice and firing up the grill, but there went that fabulous idea out the window.

I had nothing to fall back onΒ for a quick dinner, unless you want to call Cinnamon Toast Crunch or dog kibble a main course.

My stomach was grumbling. Pizza is normally a fail safe standby but we just ordered pizza last Friday.

This is how I ended up taking two very sweaty post-soccer practice girls (who actually cleaned up really well in a 5-minute challenge to get changed) to meet the hubby for dinner at 7 at a local sports bar featuring $2 kids’ specials on Tuesdays. From the looks of all the families there, we weren’t the only ones with this brilliant idea.

Oh and Miss C remembered she had more homework to do when we got home.

Next Tuesday? There will be a plan! In the words of Scarlett O’Hara, “As God is my witness I’ll never go hungry again!”

Then again, $2 kids’ meals and $2 house wine is a good deal.

1. Sarah says:

Tell that coach to run a lap for messing up your dinner plans! πŸ˜‰

You know, now that we are restaurant free, I try to have backup meals in the freezer. Frozen homemade soup, made in a crock pot and then portions kept for later is an awesome and cheap backup for a night when things go haywire. It’s getting close to soup season too! Thank God! I’m so tired of muggy, hot mosquito weather!
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Showdown in Hard-Core Town- Is That All You

2. amie says:

I think $2 night sounds like a great plan! Our back ups are grilled cheese & spaghetti. Spaghetti is about the only thing I can make for dinner that everyone will eat without whining, complaining, or bellyaching. I am with Sarah- sick to death of being hot, sweaty & sticky. Please make fall hurry up & get here!

3. Jennifer says:

Sounds like a solid plan to me.

I say take something in a cooler, or pick up something at the grocery store on nights like that. We love having “non traditional” dinners. So, cheese, crackers, meat and fruit! Great to snack on right on the feild. Two birds, one stone. You don’t even have to prep, just hit the grocery store!

The husband can fend for himself!

Sarah I LOVE soup weather! You know how it is in Nashville…sometimes it’s 80 degrees on Halloween! πŸ˜‰

I made a ginormous lasagna a few Tuesdays ago as soon as we got home from school and that was awesome because it lasted forever and I was able to freeze portions.

I’m just not always the best meal planner. Obviously.

Eh…maybe I’m lazy, too.

Jennifer normally hubby can fend for himself but he has been working 13 hour days this week and worked Labor Day…so actually the sports bar and beer was probably perfect that night! πŸ˜‰

Oh they also had specials on draft beer.

Hmmm….maybe I’ll do a meal plan for all of next week but our plan Tuesday will be to hit the sports bar again. HA!

6. Jennifer says:

Last night my kids had those chicken strips from the Walmart deli and mac&cheese tv dinners when we finally got home. Not the healthiest meal they’ve ever eaten. But we don’t do that all the time, or ever, so it was fine. Thursdays are our busiest day so I try to put something in the crock pot. Today is beans and rice, which my daughter HATES. But again, whatever.
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Freedom =-.

7. Susan says:

I guess when it rains, it pours! Our go to is PBJ. But I think my son would eat that for EVERY meal if he could. Lately, he’s gotten into this whole cereal for dinner thing too. Breakfast for dinner is a nice change of pace! Good luck with the planning. I need to learn how to cook first though… πŸ™‚

8. Lynn says:

TOO FUNNY!! I just found you and this is my life!! I am awful at planning and when I do, it gets all messed up. It is definitely my plan to get better, BUT I love the restaurant kids deals – you cannot beat them!

9. Mom Jonz says:

Backup dinner plan in my house is pizza, but I’m trying a little harder not to. We haven’t started after school activities yet, but my plan as it is right now is a crockpot meal on practice days. My daughter does Taekwondo and since we’ve moved the new school meets 2-4 times a week so if we attend 4 days a week we cannot eat out that often. Crockpot it is.

10. Parris Story says:

Since becoming a wife and first time Mom, I have struggled with a dinner plan. I work full-time and have a hubbie who thinks he’s suppose to get a hot cooked meal daily. If I was 10 years younger and 20 lbs lighter it might be possible–but NOT! So, I’ve become an avid user of my crock pot for chili and beef stew, my sandwich press for grilled cheese and soups, Monday is leftover from Sunday dinner (real cooked meal), Thursday or Friday is pizza or hot dogs. All other days I didn’t cover is takeout or “you’re on your own”. Cereal always sounds good to me—I know..I’m bad! LOL