The Forty Fifteen

I never gained the Freshman Fifteen, you know the 15 pounds women tend to pack on their first year of college because they’re living on pizza, beer, and powdered donuts from the corner gas station.

No, I waited until after Miss A was born and my metabolism dropped off the face of the earth. Or maybe it’s just because I started blogging that year. Ahem. I’m sure there is NO correlation.

At one point this summer I was inching in steadily on gaining almost 15 pounds over the course of 5 years. 15 pounds in 5 years. Maybe that doesn’t sound like a lot to you, but these were stealth pounds slowly and methodically attaching themselves to my rear end. And no, I don’t consider myself overweight and I am a fairly petite person, but honestly FIFTEEN POUNDS IN FIVE YEARS?! When you’re 5 foot 2 that is just a considerable amount of weight to distribute. Also? I wasn’t about to start buying bigger size clothing.

I’ve been trying to exercise more this summer and watching what I eat sort of half heartedly (oh I’ll have a burger and not a cheeseburger, yawn) but the real clincher was when I saw myself being interviewed on TV last month.

Let me tell ya’ll, vanity hath no fury like a woman who sees her tired, puffy self on TV. (Oh darn…the video is no longer online.)

I have kicked up the exercise a notch, walking in the mornings and night, and I’ve been counting calories. Wow it turns out that actually eating LESS and exercising MORE works. What a novel concept!

I weighed this morning and I’m down 6 pounds.

Take that Forty Fifteen!

1. Katie says:

That’s awesome — congratulations! You can do it!!! 🙂

I lost all my pregnancy weight after I had my daughter and then over the past year I gained a few lbs back and can’t even blame her, just my love for eating goldfish crackers which I guess is indirectly her fault, right?! LOL
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..It

2. amy2boys says:

Yeah! How did I miss you on TV?? I want to see it!!

(Oh yes, I’ve not been blogging b/c it’s absolutely the worst year and I can’t wait for New Year’s Eve… I’ve missed a ton. (sad face))

ANYWAY, I’ve been watching calories and I started Shredding too because of 5 that HAS TO GO before those 5 invite friends to the party they are having on my damn hips.
    .-= amy2boys´s last blog ..Strawberry Milano Devonshire Cream Pie =-.

3. Deb - Mom of 3 Girls says:

Congrats, that’s awesome!!

I seem to have gained about 15 pounds – per child. Which leaves me much heavier than I ever was before having kids and into larger sizes than I ever thought I’d have to wear. One of these days I need to get with it and try to lose all of this extra weight – I’m 5’2″ too and the extra pounds definitely don’t have anywhere to go. Sigh.
    .-= Deb – Mom of 3 Girls´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday 155

Thanks ya’ll. It’s honestly been really tough because I heart food and all sorts of bad food, too. Also I’m kind of lazy. I hate going to the gym.

I’m eating a banana right now.

SIGH

I am not calorie counting this weekend on my NYC trip, though. NO WAY!

5. WorkingMom says:

Good job, Jamie!!! I’m thirty pounds over my wedding day weight, and need to find some motivation to start losing. But I have an excuse for now… at least I dropped eight pounds from having the flu the past week.
    .-= WorkingMom´s last blog ..Its ALIVE!!! =-.

6. jamie says:

I have been watching my weight (get bigger) since my first was born and two kids later I am no longer the 120 lb girl my husband dated (which is not so bad in many other ways) but I decided I couldnt do it alone I tried things on my own but I always fell back so this time I started going to Zumba with friends and we have a blast, get some much needed MOMMY time and lose weight! I love it

7. Amy G. says:

More and more often I feel like giving up and embrace my new weight. I used to fret about every single pound gained but now I am tempted to think – okay, this is new me, a little bigger, but I cannot stay the same forever. I simply cannot cut down on eating – food is one of the few truly enjoyable things in life.