One Line, Three Words, No Regrets

Regrets. I’ve had a few.

Shortly after college graduation, several of my best journalism school buddies planned an amazing trip to Greece. I was one of the lucky few of my peers already working full time as an editorial assistant at Vanderbilt University here in Nashville. I was long on overtime and short on vacation days and cash, which is, hello, ironic since I was gainfully employed but I think I was making about $19,000 back in 1992 when I first started working full-time. I decided to pass on the trip. I’d also passed on a trip to Ireland with some of the same friends while I was in school. I thought, “Oh some day I’ll make it to Europe. The timing just isn’t right. Some day will be a better time for travel.”

I’m 40 years old and I’ve never been to Europe.

This is why if you’re young and single I will always encourage you to travel and see the world.

Now I’ve been to some great vacation destinations in the U.S. with my family and I’ve started traveling more for blog opportunities, so I can’t complain. When I was a little girl my family vacationed in Jamaica. I’ve also been to Puerto Rico, but Ireland and Greece are on my list of missed opportunities.

Last summer I talked and talked, which is no big feat for me if you know me in real life, about riding the zip line at Sandestin while we were on vacation.

We headed home after a week without me doing that damn zip line. The girls even asked, “Mommy, why didn’t you do it?”

Last week Miss C and Miss A both attended an amazing performing arts camp at church. Miss C came home Wednesday, sat down at the kitchen table, and tearfully admitted she’d been to afraid to audition for a solo singing or speaking part. I explained to her that sometimes we just have to seize the moment, get over our fears, and go for something when an opportunity comes our way. I encouraged her to talk to the counselors and go for it if there was another chance to try out.

Friday night we sat in the audience beaming with pride as she conquered her one line, “Off to Neverland!”

On stage she was Peter Pan for about 10 seconds. But she gained about a year in maturity.

1. Linda Sullivan says:

Sigh, missed opportunities, alas, will keep haunting us for the rest of our days. I remember the time my friends and me planned to go to Rio de Janeiro. Being the cheapskate that i am, I let the opportunity pass. Now I don’t know when I can ever go and visit South America. too busy nowadays…

2. Jennifer says:

Aw, love this post. When I was in Kindergarten my teacher offered me the girls part for the May pole at the end of the year and I said no. I have no idea why I did, but my mom was so sad that I didn’t go for it. I never again said no to anything. I’m glad I learned that lesson at an early age.
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Does your kid whine =-.

3. Kaye says:

So, have you started planning that trip to Europe yet? Like for your next milestone birthday. You know we can’t say that next number yet, since we ‘just’ turned 40. You have an amazing trip with your girls. They would be a great age to travel with! Just 9+ more years to plan (and save) for an fabulous family vacation.
    .-= Kaye´s last blog ..Nothing like Bible Camp =-.

4. Katie says:

I can totally relate to this post — thank you! 🙂 I have several major missed opportunities, but I try to tell myself that everything happens for a reason and my choices that I did make led me to where I am today and made who I am today. Okay so maybe that’s a total BS thing that I tell myself, but hey whatever makes us feel better, right?! LOL

Anyways, I hope you get a chance to visit Europe sometime soon & that it’s even more special than you imagined. 🙂
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..Potty Training &amp Words of Wisdom =-.

5. lifeinapinkfibro says:

Great story! Great advice. I travelled a lot when I was in my early 20s and I’ve never regretted it. Though sometimes I wonder if I should have unpacked my backpack earlier and had my kids a little sooner. Then I think about what I would have missed and, maybe, what they gain from me because of it, and I get on with my day.
    .-= lifeinapinkfibro´s last blog ..Its never too early for a foot in the door =-.

6. Liz says:

That’s awesome. I often struggle with how not to pass on my fears and insecurities to my children. This is so wonderful for her (and all of you).