Bikinis For Girls: Yea Or Nay?

Somewhere in my mom’s photo albums is a picture of me rocking a bikini at age 2. I’ve got the cute toddler belly and I’m wearing a big floppy hat.

Neither of my girls have a bikini, but I’d not given that much thought until last weekend when we were headed to my sister’s pool and Miss A declared, “Mommy I want a BIKINI!” The girl. She knows what she wants in fashion. (Which is more than I can say for myself at times.)

Miss C has tankinis, while Miss A’s bathing suits are all one piece. Miss A thinks of tankinis as bikinis as one and the same…try explaining the difference to a 5-year-old.

I was looking at bathing suits online for Miss A and came across a few “interesting” ones as well as some string bikinis.

Would you let your daughter wear this purple sequin bikini?

It’s from Target and it’s for girls sizes 4 to 16.

It just seems a little too Kendra Wilkinson meets Prince to me.

On the other hand, this bikini for infants and toddlers from Target I find totally adorable for a toddler wearing a straw hat and big sunglasses at the pool or beach. I think I would even wear it. You know, if it came in size MOM. It looks a bit retro Hollywood.

This two-piece swimsuit from Gymboree for older girls (they don’t even call it a bikini) is cute, too, with the skirt and halter top, but Miss C at 8 would probably think it is too “cutesy.” Miss C at 5, however, might love it.

I’m not totally opposed to 2-piece bathing suits for little girls but I favor tankinis. Both my girls are really active and I don’t really want them strutting around the pool in sequins.

So what say ye? Bikinis for little girls or no? I think it depends on the cut of the bathing suit and their age.

1. Flossip says:

We do the tankini,,, no actual bikinis. For one thing, its more skin exposed to the sun as well as I just don’t think its appropriate. I was doing one pieces, but they are a pain when a little one needs to go to the bathroom.
    .-= Flossip´s last blog ..Shape up Your Pup Challenge =-.

2. Jennifer says:

I do the tankinis. I don’t really have a problem with the bikini per se, but I prefer her to be a little more covered. I normally buy all of her bathing suits alone because she would totally go for that sequined number and I would NOT. Target did have a really cute brown and white polka dot with a white ruffle that I wouldn’t have minded her wearing though.
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..I need the ability to teleport =-.

3. Brigid says:

My 6YO has both a one piece and a two piece (with a generous cut bottom – kind of a boy short) and the two piece wins out most days for bathroom breaks and because she is so long waisted. The one piece hurts her shoulders to pull on, but if we get the larger size, it’s too big. I prefer to call it a two piece rather than a bikini for some reason. Makes it seem less provocative? Or maybe I’m just fooling myself.
    .-= Brigid´s last blog ..inch by inch =-.

4. amie says:

Yea! As long as it is age appropriate and not “hoochie fied”. The purple sequins looks uncomfortable & itchy, let alone just plain WRONG!Hey Gap kids is having awesome sales, the suits I paid 30 bucks for at beginning of summer are now $7.I like my giurl to have several suits so she never has to put a wet one on, so she has a couple tanks, a couple bikinis & a tankini.Really the two pieces ARE so much easier to get one & for bathroom trips.

Yeah the two piece tankinis rock as far as potty time. Miss A gets all Miss C’s hand me downs but bathing suits tend to get well worn around here! I’ve noticed all bathing suits are on crazy clearance right now so I may stock up for them.

Brigid, Miss C has the same issue with one pieces. She has one that clasps behind her neck and it hurts because she is long-waisted!

6. EG says:

I have no problem with it (but I also don’t have daughters). I think it’s more of an issue when they get older and actually have something to hide! But if she thinks that a tankini is the same as a bikini, that’s an easy solution!

The fuchsia one from Target? Yes yes yes!

7. Michelle Smiles says:

I get a little icked out by bikinis for young girls. I’ve always said I wasn’t comfortable buying the girls a 2 piece (tankini doesn’t really count as 2 piece in my book) but if someone else did, I wouldn’t object (assuming it was appropriate). Tessa has a cute little 2 piece w/a skirt and hat that someone gave her. She wears it and looks adorable (she will be 2 this month). Besides, 2 piece means more area to sunscreen and it already takes 45 min to get them both slathered!
    .-= Michelle Smiles´s last blog ..Water babies =-.

8. The Parsonage Family says:

Theoretically I don’t have a problem, if it’s not provocative-looking. (I think my only childhood bikini was in a sports-bra style, not strappy.) I think it is creepy to see kids (and preteens) wearing string bikinis when they have no boobs. It’s like two triangles strapped awkwardly to their chest.

The more convincing argument I heard against bikinis for kids, though, is when your child gets to be a preteen and wants to wear something too provocative, you can’t fight with the logic of “I wore a bikini at age 2, so why can’t I at age 12?!”
    .-= The Parsonage Family´s last blog ..On Mission =-.

9. Coma Girl says:

I’m not a fan. My daughter just turned 4 and for me it’s the whole, she has plenty of time in her life to be “sexy”, I just want her to be a little girl for as long as I possibly can.

But some two-piece suits are cute and tasteful for young girls. Maybe when she’s 5…or 25.
    .-= Coma Girl´s last blog ..Writers Workshop – Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes =-.

10. Isabel says:

I agree that girls have plenty of time to be sexy when they are older. I lived abroad some a few years ago and it struck me how young the children were. Teens were still youthful, not striving for adulthood like I see here in the US. As adults many of us miss play time and long for that youthfulness we tried to grow out of when we were young. I think part of supporting our children is done in keeping them young and playful and limiting their exposure to adult things – bikinis being one of them.

11. April Vereb says:

I would let my daughter wear the one’s pictured. I think bikinis are cute for little girls as long as they’re halfway modest. Tiny little strings on the sides, etc.? Absolutely not. But these are cute.

12. Sable(atlmuzikfanzinc) says:

I have no problem with it as well it doesn’t show off the body too much. So, I wouldn’t let the wear a bikini were their breast wear all out the top would have to cover that part up.

13. Sally@Indianapolis Homes for Sale says:

Here is my dilemna, they look so cute wearing bikinis when they are little but once they begin to mature I really prefer they cover up a bit more. At about that time they don’t want to cover up. These girls try to grow up way too fast. Plus my girls are 10 years apart in age….(insert whiney voice here) “But she gets to.”

14. Kandy says:

The purple one… NO WAY!! The other 2… probably. I usually only let my girl (6) wear tankinis or one pieces. She is not really a “fashion diva” but she does know what she likes. Already, she and I don’t always agree on what to wear. I am trying to instill modesty in her now and not wait till she is 15 (or younger these days).
    .-= Kandy´s last blog ..Charcoal Sprigs Greeting Card =-.