Today Is Field Day, Also Known As Working Mom Guilt Day

It was field day for Miss C’s class.

And I was not there.

I’m working from home today and Miss A will be home any minute this afternoon. I’ve had the parent letter asking for volunteers posted on our refrigerator for more than a week, though, so perhaps I’m mentally flogging myself.  But it’s about this time of year that I start calculating how much vacation time I have left and if I can take a half day here and a half day there. They add up you know.

I have 8 vacation days left for the remainder of the year. Now that may sound like a lot but if we go on a family vacation this summer I will likely take four or five days off. Plus my best friend and I have talked about going to the beach for a belated 40th birthday celebration.

I could have just popped by to help out with field day for a little while, but that’s like saying you’ll just pop in to Target for a few minutes and not buy anything. And that’s just crazy talk.

I can’t really complain because I have a flexible work schedule. And trust me, if I didn’t work I’d go crazy and would probably end up ghost writing a blog for our dogs.

I can complain about feeling a little guilty, though.

But I don’t feel too guilty because look who I surprised at school and ate lunch with today.

1. Musings of a Housewife says:

Well. I don’t officially work and I still didn’t sign up for Field Day. Not sure what that makes me. 😉

It sounds like misery to me, quite frankly. But it would suck to want to be there and not be able to go. I’m sure she will be just fine. 🙂

2. Jennifer says:

Aw, you’re a great mom. It is hard when we have to work. We all go through these guilty phases. I do a lot. Today I’m at home with a sick little one, and I feel guilty about not being at work. Tomorrow I’ll be at work feeling guilty about sending him back to school (even though his temp hasn’t been over 100 today).
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..One thing I love about summer =-.

3. Kathleen says:

Awwww. I have plenty of working mom guilt days. I am a teacher though. If I take a personal day to do school stuff with the kids, it is NEVER field day 😉

I agree with the other post- it definitely sucks to want to be there and not be able to go.

4. amie palenchar says:

Well here is the other side of the coin,I have a totally flexible schedule & like u love to go to school for kids activities .However I have not volunteered, bc I HATE field day with a passion! I used to be a school counselor & I hated field day then too- figuratively speaking it is no walk in the park .So I feel totally selfish & guilty but I am still not doing it. I will visit kids for a while though & take them to lunch after since it is a half day 🙂

5. Eileen says:

I missed Field Day this year too — same thing — must allocate vacation days very carefully, and Field Day just wasn’t as important as Kindergarten Graduation Day. Yes, still felt guilty — but the kids did fine anyway 🙂
    .-= Eileen´s last blog ..The big famous blog that wasn

6. youarekiddingme says:

Popping into Target just to take a look is inconceivable and absolutely crazy talk.
    And yes, the whole working mom thing is one big guilt trip. I can completely empathize.

7. Traci says:

I swear we share the same brain! I hate to disappoint them, but I just can’t take unlimited time off. I also endured the field day guilt trip. Of course it is not made any easier by the SAHMs that practically LIVE at the school. I am just having one of those working mom=FAIL weeks, I guess. Glad I’m not the only one!

8. Linda Sullivan says:

That’s cute, bringing wholesome lunches to your kid at work. Regarding field day, I think a lot of parents endure that kind of guilt. Lol. I make up for it by making sure our family vacation is a real blast 🙂

9. Tara - KidZui Mom says:

I totally can appreciate where you are coming from! When my son was born, I felt guilty for putting him in daycare to go back to work. Then I would try to leave work right at five on the dot so that I could try and spend some precious quality hours with him before bedtime. Of course, being the first one out of the office every day made me feel guilty as well. It’s a vicious cycle! I’m thrilled now that I am working part time with no pressure to be in the office every day. So now I have a lot more flexibility and a LOT less guilt.

I am the queen of guilt. I will pretty much find something to be guilty over…I will say that yesterday ended up being pretty awesome because I totally surprised her at lunch!

11. WorkingMom says:

I think surprising her at lunch and the little things like that sometimes make more of a memory than being one of many in the crowd. As far as the working mom guilt, we’ve all got it. When I was working FT, I tried to do at least one field trip per kid. It gets easier as they get older – less field trips and other “parental assistance required” activities.

As far as Field Day – I hated it when I was a chubby kid and am to this day not a big fan.
    .-= WorkingMom´s last blog .."M" is for May, Mother’s Day, and Mammograms =-.

12. Jamie says:

WorkingMom: I was always the skinny, smallest kid who got picked last for everything or pummeled to death in dodge ball. Good times!

I am glad she is still at the age where it’s “cool” for me to stop by.

In August my youngest daughter starts kindergarten and that’s always a really involved year for volunteering. With my oldest I would go up on Fridays and eat lunch and then stay and help out for a bit. The volunteering opportunities seem to dwindle down the older they get but I did go on their fall field trip. Their spring 2nd grade field trip was during the week of the floods when schools were closed. Bummer! 🙁
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..Like Mother, Like Daughter =-.

13. Mary @ The Writer's Block says:

Jamie, you’re awesome and I know you’ve done a LOT this year at school. I didn’t volunteer for Field Day and I could have gone. Like the earlier posters, it sounds like torture to me. Hot, sweaty, lots of standing, etc. 😉 That’s why I prefer the inside, air conditioned, quiet volunteer ops: library assistant!
    .-= Mary @ The Writer’s Block´s last blog ..I Desire Only One Superhero Power =-.