Too Bad We Didn’t Register For Matching Ponchos And A Monogrammed Sump Pump

I was going to write about our wedding anniversary Monday, but then there was this little pesky incident called a natural disaster that hit Nashville.

How can you help?

Thirteen years ago this week the hubby and I were honeymooning in beautiful Key West, Florida.

Thankfully I did not scare him away with my OCD wedding registry angst or hours spent poring over bulky wedding invitation catalogs as if my very life and the sanctity of our marriage depended on what type stemware we should use for every day, versus formal entertaining, and whether or not we should have matching color coordinated wedding invitation envelopes. I do remember I let my hair down enough when we registered at Target to actually scan giant pool flotation noodles. That little moment of silliness is probably what saved our engagement because I was starting to ride the Bridezilla Express To Wedding Planning Hell. That and the fact that I didn’t have a nervous breakdown when it looked like it might rain on our outdoor, lakeside wedding, which might have had something to do with the wine I my best friend and I snuck into the bride’s dressing area.

When our girls someday get engaged I will tell them to NEVER for the love of God, no matter how much their inner Bridezilla gene kicks, drive their fiance insane with silly wedding details.

In fact, I’ll probably encourage them to have a small, intimate destination wedding at a Caribbean island, but to be sure to invite their wonderful, loving parents.

Because honestly some day they’ll look back at pictures from their special day and remember everything BUT what thread count sheets they registered for or how many place settings of Wedgwood china they received (whisper voice…Nantucket Basket, classic white bone china you can NEVER go wrong with).

They will remember why they got married in the first place.

Hubby and I at Kelly’s in Key West, owned by actress Kelly McGillis, in 1997.

Hubby looking cute in his favorite Jags t-shirt (hey, this was before the Titans came to Nashville.)

Hello skinny girl with the updo!

1. Amy says:

I hope your anniversary was nice. I was telling someone about the snuck in wine the other day….how your Mama kept asking where she sat hers down and we kept ssshhhing her! 🙂

I also remember the rain and saying that if you wanted to get married outside, I’d hold the umbrella, it was YOUR day! 🙂

Love you & Big Al bunches!
    Amy

2. Jamie says:

Tabor, thankfully we had no water damage at all which is just unbelievable. We’re on a rise in our subdivision, though. The Harpeth River is less than a half mile from us so the street down from us was totally flooded. 🙁
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..Too Bad We Didn

3. The Parsonage Family says:

You are so right about the wedding stuff. I think it is only since becoming a mother that I understand how unimportant the whole wedding hoopla is. It was an amazing event and we had a lot of fun–I don’t know that I would actually do much of it differently–but I’ve gained a lot of perspective.
    .-= The Parsonage Family´s last blog ..Why I Like Contemporary Worship =-.

4. Katie says:

Happy belated anniversary! I hope you and your hubby had a very special anniversary. You look beautiful in all of your pics & honestly you still look the same to me. And your hubby is very cute too! 🙂

That is so funny about the pool noodles!! LOL I didn’t freak out over our registry or the wedding in general as I was just a kid, but if we got married now then I’d def register for more expensive stuff — hellooo, Williams Sonoma and Pottery Barn! Hee hee
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..Water Ban Lift =-.

5. Jocelyn @ Hip Mama's Place says:

Hi Jamie, it was so fun meeting you at the Bosch event. Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby! Girl, I love those photos of you in the mini-dress- so sexy!~. I have photos like those of myself back then too. LOL. Fashion styles come and go but beauty remains! 🙂

I hope we’ll see each other again someday. You were one of my favorites at the Bosch event! (No kidding!). 🙂
    .-= Jocelyn @ Hip Mama’s Place´s last blog ..Date Night Made Sexy =-.

6. Ernestine says:

Mom, remembers so well!!! I can picture my girl giving me a sneak preview of that beautiful wedding dress and I can still see you coming down the stone stairs – a slight breeze was perfect – looked like you were floating down the stairs and loved the harp playing. Thank you for the first thought of letting mom give you away.
    Belated anniversary wishes to the best youngest daughter and soninlaw in the world!!!
    .-= Ernestine´s last blog ..Highlight Of Day =-.