Champagne Taste, Capri Sun Budget

Miss C is obsessed with becoming a spy. First there was Nancy Drew. Now there is Roxy Hunter.

Yesterday she insisted that I help fix her hair in low pigtails like Roxy Hunter.

And then she wanted to look for a messenger bag like Roxy.

Of course I reminded her that she has a pink leopard messenger bag for school but that’s not the “right” type of bag.

While I cleaned the kitchen last night she started searching for the perfect bag online.

She found one!

Of course my kid would find a $175 Dolce & Gabana denim bag at Saks. A mystery solving girl must have the right accessories. Apparently.

I think she’ll be taking her allowance to our friendly neighborhood super discount center.

p.s. Any other spy girl characters we should know about? I’ve already thought of Harriet the Spy.

1. Jennifer says:

I always liked the Bobbsey Twins too. Those books are a lot like Nancy Drew. And I saw the Gallagher Girls series on Amazon, and apparently there is a series called Spy Girls, but I don’t know anything about either of them.
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Coming out of the in between =-.

2. Stacia says:

My favorites were always the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys “super-mysteries” where they combined talents. Miss C will need that Dolce bag to impress the Franks and Joes in her future. =>
    .-= Stacia´s last blog ..Smile for Me =-.

3. Brigid Day says:

That made me laugh out loud. Too funny. I can’t think of any girl spies, but I had the biggest crush on Encyclopedia Brown. (yes, I am a nerd.)
    .-= Brigid Day´s last blog ..67-73/365 =-.

4. Beth (A Mom's Life) says:

Oh my gosh!!! Harriet the Spy! I loved her! I haven’t thought about those books in years. Sigh…memories…Can’t wait till I can introduce Sarah to Harriet the Spy. I hope she doesn’t think she’s lame.
    .-= Beth (A Mom’s Life)´s last blog ..Yikes! =-.

5. Jamie says:

Beth: I’m afraid that everything I suggest to Miss C lately is lame. She’s 7 going on 17 these days.

Brigid: I LOVED Encyclopedia Brown although I didn’t really have a crush on him. Loved the book.

Jennifer: I forgot about the Bobbsey Twins! Loved those books when I was little.

Stacia: I don’t remember those super mysteries…they sound awesome. I loved Nancy Drew books and the Hardy Boys TV show.
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..Champagne Taste, Capri Sun Budget =-.

6. Amanda Thomas says:

I’m a Nancy Drew girl myself. Although Encyclopedia Brown will always hold a special place in my heart.

7. Balisha says:

I loved Nancy Drew books and then came Harriet the spy when my daughter came along. I checked out messenger bags and why they are so popular. All the little girls in our neighborhood have them. Here is what I found…Messenger bags define “hip” by being nearly an anti-fashion statement. They look casual and trendy all at once – and like a denim jacket or a concert t-shirt, they can actually become even cooler the older and more beat up they become.
    So has she checked out Etsy? http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_query=messenger+bags+for+girls&search_type=handmade
    Some of these are really cute and affordable.
    Balisha
    .-= Balisha´s last blog ..My Crafty Easters Past =-.

Balisha:

Thanks for the etsy suggestion! I had not thought of that. I did check out ebay.

She has a really cute pink leopard messenger bag I ordered for her school bag this year from Lillian Vernon but apparently for her “spying” missions (wink) she needs something in camo or denim.

My husband just signed us up for geocaching and that will be a great treasure hunt project for all of us.

9. lifeinapinkfibro says:

Not sure about spies, but I loved Trixie Belden, mystery solver, when I was a kid. Encyclopedia Brown, for sure. Also, Famous Five – which Mr6 and I are currently revisiting. He writes out complicated ‘plans’ and drops them in the letterbox of the little girl around the corner. Her dad was worried til I told him it was all about finding the smugglers underground ‘secret way’. We tried Zac Power – more for boys – but he didn’t stick.

In our house, mostly it’s all about lightsabers. Messenger bags may be difficult enough to find, but I’m currently searching out the perfect pair of gumboots – must look like something Anakin Skywalker would wear. Could be worse, I guess…imagine trying to re-create Princess Leia’s hairdo if Mr6 were a girl. Then again, if he were a girl, I’d be looking for messenger bags, right?
    .-= lifeinapinkfibro´s last blog ..Those who can, make. Those who can’t, buy. =-.

10. Jen says:

Besides Nancy Drew, I always loved Trixie Belden! Her stories began in the 40s or 50s, but I read them as a child in the 80s and loved them.

11. skin care men says:

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much
    about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that
    you can do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but
    instead of that, this is wonderful blog. A great read. I’ll certainly be back.