Someone sent me an e-mail yesterday that really touched my heart. 8-year-old Ellie Potvin is battling Stage 4 Rhabdomyosarcoma – a very rare childhood cancer she was diagnosed with in July 2008. Ellie was diagnosed in July 2008. Only 3% of children in the United States have this type of rare pediatric cancer. Out of the 350 children total diagnosed per year, only 175 children have a survival rate past 5 years. Online store Bella Tunno has created a beautiful reversible headband that reflects Ellie and her twin sister Grace’s unique personal style. Ellie’s side is hot pink camo and Grace’s side is bright stripes. 100% of the proceeds from sales of the Lift Up Ellie headband are donated to the Ellie Potvin Fund to help with Ellie’s treatments and her family’s financial needs.
More links for your weekend:
- Mom Advice has wonderful ideas for frugal date nights. We’re in the middle of unexpected car shopping to replace our old Honda Civic and we have no business spending a lot of money while the girls are at our parents this weekend so we’re doing frugal date nights.
- Speaking of frugal, Middle Tennessee blogger Kelly from Faithful Provisions (who I just met over the holidays) has a great giveaway for a Nashville CitiPass book. She’s selecting 10 winners randomly so you’re chances of winning are good!
- I’ve got a fun giveaway for little girls’ durable and fashionable leggings from Zupers on my review blog. These leggings have heart-shaped knee pads and are built to last on the playground…no more skinned knees due to torn tights! They also come in solid colors and some fun and funky prints, from zebra to giraffe. The giveaway ends February 16. Be sure to subscribe to my review blog RSS Feed so you don’t miss out on future giveaways.
- The Idea Room has great, easy ideas for Valentine’s heart suckers made using small candy canes leftover from Christmas. I’m the mom who signed up to bring juice to my child’s daycare party so I am all about easy.
- At Blissdom I kept seeing people wearing the cutest fabric flower pins. They’re made by the lovely and talented Pleated Poppy in California. I worn mine twice this week to work.
- The old school journalism grad in me loves these vintage typewriter key necklaces on Etsy.
- Tropicana has launched a Juicy Rewards program which enables you to save money on your favorite activities by registering and entering the codes found on Tropicana products. I’m going to be working with Tropicana this year as part of a special blog panel to help spread the word, but in the mean time you might want to check out their easy to use website. You can also earn points towards things like discounts off admission to your local zoo or savings on sports equipment by following Tropicana on Facebook and Twitter.
- Are you an iPhone mama like me? Are your kids fascinated by dinosaurs like mine? The American Museum of Natural History in New York has released a free Dinosaurs app for young paleontologists to learn more about the museum’s dinosaur collection. The app is an interactive photo mosaic packed with information about the museum’s most popular dinosaur fossils, including the Tyrannosaurus Rex and the Barosaurus. The app makes learning about dinosaurs cool, with a look behind the science of fossils, stories about their discoveries, and profiles of the fossil-hunters who discovered them.