Kind Of Like A Drinking Game, Only More Painful And Humbling

I decided at the beginning at the month to not drink any alcohol for the remainder of January. Not that I’m a big drinker but I do love wine and margaritas and then there was that chocolate martini I had New Year’s Eve. Chocolate and vodka? I am SO THERE! I’ve also cut back to one cup of coffee in the mornings and I’m having organic tea if I still need a little hot buzz of a drink.

Any way, I have lost a little weight (fluctuating between 2 and 3 pounds) but it dawned on me this week that if I don’t get off my bloggy butt I will have been abstaining for naught. And that? Would be so sad.

I am not an exercise mama. I detest going to the gym. I am amazed that I actually went to a kickboxing class before I got pregnant with Miss A and that I signed up for a hip hop dance class last summer. You’ve got to keep me amused if you’re going to get me exercising. I’ll give credit to my mama’s genes that I am no in worse shape than I am. I’ve always been able to get away with eating whatever I want and I was downright skinny in high school but don’t remind me how LONG ago high school was. I’m reminded every time I log on to Facebook and mistake old scanned photos of myself for a Winger video extra.

Any way, once you hit 35 or so the ole metabolism starts to plummet of the face of the Earth and you can no longer get away with eating a half gallon of queso and two baskets of chips at your favorite Mexican joint. This week I’ve started working in some walks and I walked 3 miles yesterday (once by myself and once being pulled around the neighborhood by our dog Jack.) And then this morning I decided to jog every 10th mailbox for a minute or two on a 2-mile route. I made a little game out of it and it wasn’t too bad.

Now I’m sitting here working at my desk and eating lowfat cottage cheese and granola.

This sucks. I don’t know how you healthy people do it.

1. Musings of a Housewife says:

LOL. I so hear ya on this one!

But girl. Low fat is not the way to go. Embrace REAL FOOD, just eat a good variety and small amounts. You will be SO much more satisfied, and you will find it easier to maintain a healthy weight. I could write BOOKS on this topic, but that’s my attempt at being succinct for the sake of your comment section. 🙂

Jo Lynne, thankfully my husband is a great cook. I know everything in moderation is best. Just trying to cut out my extra goodies! 😉

I may drink an entire bottle of wine when this is all OVER.

3. Cindy Merrill says:

The idea is to control the appetite. Try this: Mix up a Slimfast shake ( I add 1/3 cup pasturized eggbeaters) first thing in the AM, consume a shake 1/2 hour before lunch and dinner: Stay with this routine for 14 days, do not weigh in until the 14th day. I guarantee you’ll be 5 pounds lighter.

4. Kelly Ann T. says:

I too hate exercise, and then I got a wii for Christmas. I love it. I play tennis, box and do other exercises on my wii fit. I have worked out for an hour everyday since I got it. I highly recommond the wii.

5. Tamara B. says:

I am so right there with you! I love ice cold bottles of Coors Light watching the football games and have you tried the Godiva White Chocolate martini? You will think you have died and gone to heaven 🙂 I come to the resolution that I am not going to change a thing till after the Super Bowl LOL

6. Jennifer says:

I’m on the real food band wagon as well. The other thing to remember is to lay off the white stuff, sugar, rice, potatoes, wheat products.

The average american eats more than 300 carbs per day in their diet, which is double what you should be eating. Also, excessive carbs can actually alter hormones, and at this age, lets be frank, we don’t need anything messing with those. Hormones control weight loss.

This time last year I was excercising my arse off, eating the same amount of calories (as I am now) and not loosing a pound. I recently started tracking my carbs and keeping them in check, and not really caring how many calories I eat, as long as I stay under a certain number of carbs and I’ve lost 10 lbs so far.

For shits and giggles, log into spark people or fit dayand log your calories, your protein intake should be quite high (your lean body weight multiplied by .6), carbs lower, and fat is OK to be higher.

Eat REAL food. Butter. Yum. Eggs. Bacon. Good stuff,
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..25% *or* 1/4 *or* half way to halfway there. =-.

7. Urban Mom says:

If it helps at all, I love spin class. Great for the abs & bum. Loud music, dim lights and the teacher doesn’t know if you cheat a bit (ahem). But pick up some bike shorts with padding in the hoo-ha. You’ll be glad you did.

8. Brigid Day says:

Umm, yeah, the whole metabolism thing just snuck up on me and landed squarely on my spare tire. I used to be able to will away five pounds. Now, they just multiply.
    .-= Brigid Day´s last blog ..Scuba TV =-.

9. Eileen says:

I love to exercise, BUT I do not like ALL exercise. Kickboxing does not do it for me and I’ve yet to get high from running. But I love “boot camp” style workout dvd’s, pilates, yoga, and all sorts of circuit-training workouts. (I might have workout program ADD….) Maybe you could try a few new things and see if a different activity sparks your interest a bit more?
    .-= Eileen´s last blog ..Maryland Zoo partners with the B&O Railroad, Maryland Science Center, and Port Discovery for the Months of January and February. =-.

10. amie palenchar says:

Just started attending a spin class last week-hooha very sore !Instructor said it takes about 5 classes before u get used to that.

11. Kel says:

Hang in there I’m sure you’re doing great!! It’s never easy at first, but the results are well worth it if it is what you want! 🙂 I struggle with it all the time, but feel so much better after I shed a few pounds!
    ~K

12. Evan says:

Hardwork and dedication should seal the deal. I’m sure all that sacrifice would amount to something in the future so I wish you the best of luck!

13. Katie says:

It sounds like you’re doing awesome! And thats so good you are exercising. Honestly, I think you deserve a glass of wine or even a chocolate martini for all that running and soon to be shredding! Hee hee 🙂
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..Out of the Mouths of Babes =-.