I Blame Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Last week I was looking forward to getting back to a “normal” schedule for both school and work after the holidays. I hear you laughing.

After just two days of school, Davidson County was hit with a little snow precipitation and everyone yelled, “SHUT ‘ER DOWN.” People made their toilet paper and beer and wine run, of course, except for me, since I’m on a detox diet for January. Not that I’m BITTER OR ANYTHING.

I ended up attempting to work from home on both Thursday and Friday. This meant the girls watched a little more TV than usual.

Thursday night they were way too quiet and I went downstairs to find them sprawled out on their bean bag watching King of the Hill.

“Hey girls…this isn’t really a kid show. It’s time to turn off the TV and get ready for bed any way.”

“But mommy,” the girls pleaded, “this is so funny.” According to the girlsย it was the episode where Hank keeps going to the bathroom and he goes to the doctor and the doctor has to, quote unquote, look at Hank’s butt.

Mentally I heard brakes squealing.

Clearly it was time to turn off the boob tube. In fact we’d already passed the exit, the rest area, and the Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200 For Your Parenting Skills Are Going To Hell In A Handbasket sign.

The girls scampered to their bedrooms as soon as I turned on my mama means business charm and once again there was much lollygaggin’. I could hear shrieks of laughter coming from Miss C’s bedroom. Playing bad cop once again I peeked in to see what was going on.

The girls…my precious sweet angelic children…

were giving each other WEDGIES.

Thank God school was back in session yesterday or we’d probably be watching midget mud wrestling, reading TMZ at bedtime, and eating Cheez Whiz out of a can by now.

1. Kelly Ann T. says:

It happens, give yourself a little break and remember the kids will not be tramatized for life. You might be, but the kids will be fine. I think all kids have watched something they shouldn’t have at one time or another.

2. Evan says:

That’s why it’s always important to know what’s on the TV nowadays. We generally live with no TV at all, well, it goes on very rarely (like when I use my PS3). Our neighbors ask, “how do you live?”. I say, we just enjoy each others’ company.

3. Katie says:

That is way too funny, especially the wedgies — sorry, but it cracked me up — omg, no pun intended! Ha ha ๐Ÿ™‚

I don’t like that show either, but I do sometimes catch up on TMZ online ((blushing))
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..Exercise and Blogging =-.

4. Melissa says:

I love it. I have a boy, but being raised by a single mom, he is not like most boys. LOL First time I saw him watching some show with “stewy” on it I was like…what are you watching…he said, they called me Stewy at work and I have to see why. LOL He worked in a warehouse full of little boys in men’s bodies. You gotta love it.
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..Happy Birthday Christopher =-.

5. Jamie says:

Good one Katie! Tee hee.

Yeah I didn’t even know they knew what a wedgie was. I blame King of the Hill but they probably learned it at school or from Sponge Bob.

I actually like King of the Hill, but I don’t necessarily want my 7 and 4-year-old watching it! ๐Ÿ˜‰

6. melissa says:

i blame the family guy for a ton of issues that kids these days have. and i blame spongebob for the downfall of modern civilization as we know it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

7. Linda @ My Trendy Tykes says:

If there is just the slightest mention of “Butts, farts or poop” give it up….the channel is not changing. I just don’t understand where they get this kind of behavior.

says the girl with the loudest burp (proudly)

8. Heather Goldsmith says:

ROTFLOL! I’m so glad I popped over from the Savvy Housewife contest to comment on a post. You are such a riot. I looked for a feedburner email subscription field, but I couldn’t find one. I’d love to get your stories in my inbox. As cranky as I’ve been lately, you would be doing a public service. Thanks for the smile, Heather
    .-= Heather Goldsmith´s last blog ..Exp 1/17 – Leslie Loves Veggies – =-.

9. Tabathia B says:

Hank is definitely not for the kids, I love it though and the Simpsons are something that is definitely not for kids either.

10. Karen Hartzell, Graco says:

Dh and I used to watch the Simpsons with DD around. She didn’t get the humor, she was just too young so we didn’t think it mattered. Ummmm…fast forward to the fact that she is 5 now and pretty much will parrot anything when you least expect it, that show is no longer on our viewing schedule. Now when she asks to watch it we casually say it’s not on and offer her a book. It’s safer. lol
    .-= Karen Hartzell, Graco´s last blog ..The Difference Between The First and Second Delivery =-.

11. Annette D says:

My kids are older (16 and 21) and they think King of the Hill is hilarious. We live in Texas so, it really hits home. I agree that it is not for the younger kids.

12. Linda Tubes says:

Well alright! Way to keep that smut away from your angels, that Hank Hill is a terrible influence on kids! My 8 year old daughter came up to me the other day and asked “Mommy, what is a propane tank?” I was appalled! Needless to say I’m looking into cancelling my Comcast subscription and keeping Veggietales as the only show for my kids. Maybe when they hit their teens they can watch The Muppet Show (I don’t like that “Animal” character, I’m afraid my kids will start emulating hip-hop culture if they see too much of him hooting+hollering)

13. Leah Walker says:

I can’t get over how funny you are. Lol. Tell your kids they should just watch you and they’d laugh way more than they would at that TV show. I laugh every time I read anything on your blogs. Thank you for that.

lewalk(at)hotmail(dot)com