Put A Bow On It, Christmas Is Done

Christmas Day 2009

We had a lovely Christmas. Santa was especially good to our girls. They both found the American Girl dolls they had wished for beneath the tree. At one point Christmas morning Miss C surveyed the presents and exclaimed, “Santa is off the hook!” I’ve never heard her use that expression in all of her 7 years so I knew this was, as Martha says, a good thing. Miss C has been carrying her Kaya doll everywhere and sleeping with her.

We did have an unfortunate terrible, horrible, no good very bad Christmas day moment when I told Miss A that because of the monsoon type weather Christmas Eve that I sprinkled her special magic reindeer food on the lawn down the trash can after she fell asleep. The girls had set out cookies and milk for Santa but I forgot about the reindeer food.

And behold, this was NOT GOOD. No, this was VERY BAD. Indeed this SUCKED great jingle balls, I mean bells. In fact, for a few minutes I thought, “We can start over, right?” This is how we start Christmas morning?” The look she gave me and the subsequent bawling was tantamount to me telling her that Santa had left a lump of coal in her stocking along with a pack of plain cotton underwear and some brusell sprouts. Next Christmas I will definitely take the child out in rain boots, a rain coat, a wet suit…whatever it takes to brave the elements to feed those damn reindeer.

All was well after I convinced Miss A that Santa’s reindeer knew that she, a very special 4-year-old little girl, had made the reindeer food especially for them and that they understood why she couldn’t come out in the rain to feed them.

Due to a couple of things going kaput at once (the hubby’s Honda Civic and our dishwasher have died in the past month) the hubby and I were too practical flat broke to buy each other frivolous presents such as Snuggies or microwaveable slippers. He did give me a new point and shoot digital camera in a lovely red, though. Yea! I also got an awesome digital photo frame from my mother and a TJ Maxx gift card from my mother-in-law and I can’t wait to go shopping. The hubby and I headed to Lowes the day after Christmas and bought a dishwasher with our Christmas money. I may have to write a separate post about how awesome it is to take a cranky, hungry 4-year-old off to purchase a major appliance at dinner time the day after Christmas.

I’m pretty excited about replacing our old dishwasher. It had had several mini strokes over the past year before it finally said, “Eh…to hell with you people and your loading me daily!” I’ve been washing dishes by hand for a few weeks. The first few days it was Zen and humbling but after three days it was not really amusing it sucked. I’d even convinced Miss C how cool drying dishes by hand was and started giving her a quarter for her hard work. Child slave labor rocks (only, of course, if it’s your own child.)

How was your Christmas?

p.s. I’ve posted a few great post-holiday sale finds I found this weekend online. I love a good sale, especially when I can just sit and shop in my pjs! And don’t forget that the world famous Harlem Globetrotters are coming to Nashville Friday! Check out the great deal on Harlem Globetrotter tickets for families.

1. Katie says:

Aww, I am so happy to hear you had a Merry Christmas and Santa brought you all exactly what you wanted! 🙂

We put special food out for the reindeer too that my daughter made in daycare. To me it looked like oatmeal w/ sparkles, but I was proudly told by a toddler that it was magic food. When I was a kid we’d just put a carrot out w/ Santa’s cookies — how times have changed! LOL

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! 🙂
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..White Christmas =-.

2. Jamie says:

Jennifer, I’m kind of afraid to look at your post. 😉

Marie, that’s very smart. I’ll remember that next year. Unfortunately her daycare class teacher included a little poem with the reindeer food that talked about sprinkling it on the lawn. Actually I just totally forgot about it and didn’t want to wake her up late Christmas Eve…I’m sure next year I won’t screw this up again!
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..Put A Bow On It, Christmas Is Done =-.

3. Mary @ The Writer's Block says:

Thank goodness mine were not all that concerned with cookies, milk, and reindeer food. We totally forgot but did leave a plate with a few crumbs on it and mentioned that we put out a cookie and Santa ate it. That sufficed.

Oh, and I’m proud to say that we were able to evade Elf on a Shelf again this year.

So glad A and C got their AG dolls! 😉 And Mama got a new dishwasher. Woohoo!
    .-= Mary @ The Writer’s Block´s last blog ..Glad That Christmas Is Over =-.

4. Lucy says:

Dishwasher? Yes, I have 2, one on the end of each arm. Seriously, I’ve never had a dishwasher!

My dryer is gradually decreasing it’s services in preparation for the final load. As does the washer. My 50+ yearold stove soldiers on, tho. New stuff sucks!

5. Liz@thisfullhouse says:

Yeah, we lost my husband’s car (may it rest in peace) and been washing dishes by hand for…um…sheesh, has it almost been a year, already? Hadn’t heard of Elf on the Shelf until mid-December, didn’t get our 1st day of Winter decorations (pine cones and peanut butter) on the trees for the birds until, um, Christmas Eve and totally forgot about the reindeer food.

[putting a bow on it]

Yeah, we’re done.
    .-= Liz@thisfullhouse´s last blog ..Four to the Teen, Baby! =-.

6. Shelley says:

Can you believe how ridiculously priced the American girl dolls are? It’s insane! Step daughter received a few in the past, but we didn’t hear anything about them this year. Now it’s Wii, MP3 players, Ipods and the small personal laptops! She’s 9! I guess it’s not going to get in any better from here on out. Before I know it, she’ll be asking for a car! Whew!

7. Carol says:

I can’t believe your Honda Civic died too. Ours was totalled at Christmastime in a black ice incident. Thank God for the airbags, our son and my husband had bumps and cuts but were otherwise ok. We had a great Christmas, and yes, we also put out reindeer food with glitter.

8. denise says:

That is so funny. We did not do the reindeer food either and my three year olds were very upset. Kids are so funny.

denise_22315 at yahoo dot com

9. Darcie K says:

My daughter got an American Girl too. She loves it so much!!!
    Don’t you just love it when kids use a new slang phrase? Lol.

10. Arla says:

I’m glad you had a nice Christmas. It’s so over commercialized it almost kills ones joy but we can never let ‘Business and commercialism’ do that. Merry Christmas , Happy New YEar to all!