Braveheart Sweetheart

Miss A First Stitches

Yesterday I took Miss A into daycare a little before 9 and headed into work. I had been at my desk for about 45 minutes when my cell phone rang and I could see it was her teacher. I thought that was odd. I answered and her teacher told me not to worry and that everything was OK but…

It was one of those instances you assume you’ll hear the usual things that would prompt a teacher to call you after you’ve just dropped your child off at school. Run of the mill things like fever or under the weather, but instead she was telling me that Miss A’s class had been outside and she had been playing at a large toy car on the playground, the kind you can sit and and pretend to drive with its steering wheels, and had somehow flipped off of it and had a cut close to her eye. Then I heard bleeding and “I think she’s going to need stitches.”

The hubby, thankfully, was at his shop which is right up the road from Miss A’s school so when I called him and gave him the three-second synopsis he said, “I’m leaving now!” and hung up. I messaged my boss and headed out the door but  it would take me at least 20 minutes to get there. The hubby called me as I was pulling on to the road to say he and Miss A were on the way to the ER.

Driving to the hospital my adrenaline was pumping, my heart and my mind were racing, and I just prayed that she was really OK. I’d like to be able to say I was calm, but I’m a closet chronic worrier and the worrier gene was pelting me in the head with “what ifs.” My sister works at the hospital we were going to so I called her to let her know (and she reminded me not to speed) and when I got to the ER she was standing with the hubby and was carrying Miss A who was not crying or bleeding, but looking very forlorn and holding a cloth to her temple. As soon as I saw that Miss A was fine I was fine.

Miss A was incredibly brave and patient. She got a warm blanket and three different kinds of drinks to choose from from the ER nurse whose name was Angel and I really do think her guardian angel was watching over her yesterday because the cut was very close to her eye.

The ER doctor, who was fantastic and made Miss A feel comfortable immediately, put a topical ointment on her eye to numb the area and we waited. When he prepped her eye for the actual stitches he put a piece of gauze over the eye that was hurt and had her close her other eye. Then he placed a sterile type paper sheet over her face with a small opening placed over her eye so she never saw the needle when he numbed the area.

I can’t say that I am as brave a girl as she is.

A few hours and four stitches (and amazingly NO tears during the procedure) later we were on our way home. Once the numbing medication wore off her eye was definitely sore and the doctor warned us it would look much worse than it looked better. This was our first ER experience with either of the girls and I know we’re fortunate it wasn’t anything more serious. It’s nothing that time, a Happy Meal, a little Ibuprofen, and a cool sticker on the belly to show off can’t heal.

Plus when we were getting ready to leave the hospital Miss A looked in my compact mirror at her eye and said: “Those are cool. I’m going to look at my stitches all day.”

1. AnnMarie says:

Poor Mom. What a stressful ordeal for you to go through. Our little ones handle these things much better that we do. They are brave little troopers. Now Miss A has some interesting stories to tell her little friends, then blog about in years to come.

2. Connie Corey says:

They are so much better at rebounding than we are, aren’t they??

I have three boys. I think we should get frequent flyer miles at the ER.

So glad things worked out. Give her some love!

3. mamatulip says:

This is the call I am kind of waiting for now that Oliver’s in school full-time. Good job on keeping yourself glued together, Mum!

Miss A is going to rock those stitches. Such a brave girl!
    .-= mamatulip´s last blog ..Centre stage =-.

4. Katie says:

Aww, I am so sorry to hear about your little one. I can completely relate to that dreaded feeling of seeing the daycare’s number on your phone.

I am so happy she’s OK and thankfully the accident didn’t affect her vision – so scary.

I will be thinking of you both! 🙂
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday =-.

5. Jamie says:

Thanks ya’ll. It could have been MUCH worse all around, especially during the actual stitches. They had a guy come in to help hold her head and the ER doc told me and my husband that “this could be bad.” Thankfully she didn’t freak out. (Although I was freaking out.) He made sure she never saw the needle when he was numbing the area.

It was almost swollen shut this morning but I ran into work for a bit while hubby is home with her and when I left she was happily doing a jigsaw puzzle. Trooper girl!

6. Heather @ Not a DIY Life says:

SO GLAD that it wasn’t anything serious. although I’m sure when we have our first ER visit with Ladybug that I’ll be the one gasping for breath and not her. NOT looking forward to that. Anyway, she’s a trooper, she must have gotten that somewhere, so maybe you’re not as much of a worrier as you think. Hugs.
    .-= Heather @ Not a DIY Life´s last blog ..Pardon the Dust =-.

7. Kel says:

Awe…I’m glad she is ok. I just can’t stand it when things like that happen to my girls..it makes my heart hurt! 🙁
    ~K

8. WorkingMom says:

I’m so glad she’s okay, and that you are too! Those of us who’ve done the ER race TOTALLY understand the pit-in-the-bottom-of-the-stomach feeling.

I remember thinking when the Middle Child was learning to walk that it wasn’t a question of if, but when, we would be making our first ER run. He waited until he was 5 and then needed 6 stitches on his forehead. My mother greeted me in the ER with “Look on the bright side – another first all done and over with!”
    .-= WorkingMom´s last blog ..And I Thought I Hated Housecleaning =-.

9. Steph. says:

Poor thing. I am so sorry that happened to your daughter! I just went through a little something similar when my son had appendicitis. I was so amazed by how tough he was through the whole thing–he never cried! I hope your girl heals quickly and you heal from the trauma soon too. Hugs your way!
    .-= Steph.´s last blog ..Organs a go-go! =-.

10. Bobby says:

There is probably nothing scarier for a parent than rushing a child to the er. Good job for staying cool under pressure. Your little girl is a braveheart. You can be very proud of how she handled herself. Your daughter’s teacher should be handed a few stars herself. Staying calm and acting fast on her part probably helped the situation get resolved more smoothly as well.
    .-= Bobby´s last blog ..Natural Baby Pros is Pleased to Bring You Our… =-.

Nap Warden:

Trust me…I FREAKED! 😉

Today she gets her stitches out so I’m hoping that goes as well as the ER…whew.

12. Liz says:

I’m WAY behind on my rss feed! How is she now? Stitches out?

I would have freaked out, too. You seem (at least in writing) like you held it together.

13. Qtpies7 says:

LOL That is too cute that she wanted to look at her stitches!
    The first time my 7th child got stitches, from having her hand slammed in a door to keep her from running outside stark naked, she freaked out! She wouldn’t even let us look at it or changed the bandage when she was awake. We even had to remove the stitches while she was sleeping. The second time she got stitches, which was 4 months later, for falling and cutting her ear all the way through the cartiledge on our base board (again, she was naked). That time actually freaked me out, usually I am pretty calm. I threw a pair of undies on her and grabbed one of the teens’ shirts to stop the bleeding and made my son drive while I held her NOT in a carseat. (thankfully we live only a few blocks backroads from the hospital) I told her that the doctor would fix her ear like he fixed her finger. She immediately stopped crying and said “I’m going to get a red popsicle!” The nurses feed the kids unlimited popsicles in the ER. She never cried once after that, even during the stitching.
    .-= Qtpies7´s last blog ..The best laid plans, HAHA!!! =-.

14. Electric Upright Bass says:

I truly don’t understand why anyone would disagree with that. I think that sounds like it is something to appear more closely at. I feel occasionally alot of people could be fairly narrow minded when it comes that. Nicely thats all for now, appear forward to a lot more post and information.. Talk to you guys later. “As in life, Chill for greatest results”