THIS Is Why I Mommy Blog

I’ve read a lot of negative little blips on Twitter and on the Internet about mommy bloggers lately. PR schmoozers all out for free soap nuts and invites to A-list corporate events with drinks and sponsored dinners and swag laden environmentally friendly reusable shopping bags in appropriately cute colors the lot of us!

Of course that’s not true. You can no more lump the thousands of mommy bloggers into one bad seed category than you can lump all actors into the “will appear on embarrassingly hilarious reality TV shows with C-list over tattooed rock stars and comedians riding around on a bus with lots of free booze in some city on the West Coast and oh throw in a stripper for good measure” category.

Mommy bloggers run the gamut from SAHMs to single moms to work outside the home moms like me to home schooling, crafty, baby wearing mamas to hip, urban mamas to artsy craftsy mamas to foodie mamas to coupon their way out of debt mamas to jock workout fitness can kick my butt in a New York minute mamas.

Any way, it’s nice to go back to my roots and remember why I started this blog in the first place since my 4-year blogiversary is next month.

I needed to carve out a little creative outlet inbetween work and parenting and marriage. In fact my first blog tagline ever was “Blogging between deadlines and diaper changes.”

I needed to write about motherhood and vent and laugh and cry and post silly memes (remember those, back in the PT days – Pre Twitter?)

I needed to remember little things like this tiny little girl with the pixie pigtails and bare feet getting ready to go out to eat with mommy and daddy while big sister was at Grandma’s house. This little girl who is now 4 1/2 and who went shoe shopping with me today and selected everything in purple and voiced her disdain for anything NOT purple.

Miss A 18 Months Old

Miss A, September 2006, 18 months old

The following is an excerpt from a post first published on BlondeMomBlog September 23, 2006 – three years ago today.

Sometimes I forget what it’s like to have just one child. Just one blur of energy to chase down in a restaurant. Just one melodious giggle. Just one pair of jammies and one toothbrush to contend with at bedtime. And you know what? It is easier. But it’s awfully quiet.

Miss C spent yesterday and last night with my mom and Miss A went to daycare for a half day until I picked her up for her 18-month well visit. She weighs 24.4 pounds and although she seems like a pretty good size girl to me, I looked in Miss C’s baby book (yes she had an actual baby book that I actually wrote in!) and she was 26.4 pounds at 18 months. I still can’t quite wrap my brain around the fact that my baby girl is a year and a half.

So what amazing things is Miss A up to?

Saying thank you.

Brushing her teeth. She loves, loves to brush her teeth and I just bought her a brunette Barbie toothbrush. I think it’s actually more the love of the running water and making a mess that appeals to her.

Climbing, climbing, and more climbing and aging me just a little bit each time she nearly falls.

Bonking her head on any and all hard surfaces. Bonus points for sharp corners and glass!

Stalking big sister around the house.

Giving Bailey our dog more gray whiskers.

Any way, you’d think with a few hours of freedom from children yesterday I’d have done something fun like a lunch outing, but I tackled the laundry dunes before they completely took over our home and we’re featured on an Oprah special intervention episode on bad housekeeping.

THIS is why I mommy blog. How about you?

1. OHmommy says:

Nice first tag line. Im sure mine was not as witty as I had no idea what I was doing. I started by sharing stories with my family. I still do. I want to dip my toes in my blog years from now and smile at what I have written.
    .-= OHmommy´s last blog ..Fuzzy fuzzy cute cute =-.

2. Kel says:

Sometimes its hard to remember with all the mama drama going on that this all started as just a way to connect/stay saine/enjoy motherhood/document our childrens lives/etc. Thank you for the reminder…sometimes its nice to be brought back to the heart of the matter…our kiddos. 🙂
    ~K
    .-= Kel´s last blog ..Wicked Witch with at capital B =-.

3. Michelle Smiles says:

This reminds me why I’ve never tried to go “big time” with my blog – I might not get cool trips but I blog because I love it. It helps me connect and stay connected. It makes me feel less alone on the days that I don’t get to leave my house. It reminds me that motherhood hasn’t killed all of my brain cells and that on occasion I can string together a few coherent thoughts that don’t end in “leave you sister alone”.
    .-= Michelle Smiles´s last blog ..What No One Told Me About Adoption =-.

4. Amy says:

I blog so I have an “excuse” to document all the wornderful, crazy and stressful things that happen in our lives. If others are interested in reading it, that’s a bonus!
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..We Knew Them When =-.

5. Ashley @ mrs007.com says:

Exactly why I mommy blog! You nailed it. I am just jealous that you can go back and read your early stuff and find good content. I go back and read my first posts and I want to close it all down and run and hide!
    .-= Ashley @ mrs007.com´s last blog ..It

6. Heather @ Not a DIY Life says:

I love that first tag line!! Look how far you’ve come.

I started blogging as an online baby book and I still use my blog for that. But also to create community. I sincerely believe that we are not meant to live life in isolation & wanted to make an online home for discussion with people that I know and have yet to meet. I remind myself of those goals often so as to stay on track.

Great post and great reminder!
    .-= Heather @ Not a DIY Life´s last blog ..Who Needs Toys? =-.

7. Jamie says:

Miss A was 7 months old and Miss C was 3 and in daycare when I started blogging. I was working from home that year so I think I was a LITTLE stir crazy, too, and needing an outlet besides looking for cute clothes for the girls on ebay. 😉

Also I wrote a LOT about wine that first year. Ahem.
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..THIS Is Why I Mommy Blog =-.

8. Jennifer says:

I do it for the exact same reason. I’ve had like one PR person contact me and I don’t even know how they found me. I love documenting all the crazy stuff that happens. With the failing brain cells how else are we supposed to remember?
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..A Woman With Moxie =-.

9. Rebecca says:

Jamie, I really like your writing and enjoy reading your blog.

I’ve only been mommyblogging for three months. I started using social media sites to connect with other moms in early 2005 after Henry was born, but somehow didn’t really become aware of the phenomenon of mommyblogging until much more recently. I became a stay-at-home mom about a year and a half ago, and in the last maybe six months, for the first time since I became a mom, I felt like I might have the time and energy for a project of my own. I felt encouraged to blog by seeing just how many other people were doing it. Sort of the “If they can do it, maybe I can too!” sort of thing. I was doing an abysmal job of taking pictures and recording milestones and “funnies” by my kids, and I was further and further away from my childhood dream of being a magazine editor and features writer, and despite the friendliness of Nashville, I have a difficult time making friends and the “community” of mommybloggers appealed to me … so I decided to go for it. In the three months, I have sometimes felt discouraged because writing doesn’t come easily or I’m no more design or tech savvy than I ever was, or because lo and behold, it’s hard to break into a crowd, but I’m already glad about the things I’ve recorded about my own feelings and particularly the goofball stuff my kids have said. I feel a little sad that I let so much slip past without record, but I know I got to blogging as soon as I could.
    .-= Rebecca´s last blog ..Two more fall goals =-.

10. Dena: Philadelphia Event Planning says:

You’re right about the recent attention that a few “bad apples” have attracted; it’s unfortunate. There are too many good, authentic blogs that don’t deserve being tagged as a mercenary.

I don’t mommy blog, but I appreciate your willingness to be self reflective. I’ve found that it’s helped me as both a mom and a wife.