Beware The Tooth Fairy Authority Mom

I’ve tried not to set the bar too high with the Tooth Fairy. One minute you’re slipping a twenty dollar bill into a tooth fairy pillow and the next minute you’re renting a stretch Hummer for your kid’s 8th birthday party. Miss C received five shiny gold dollar coins for her first lost tooth, but her latest lost tooth brought a crisp dollar bill. Nothing extravagant, but no loose change and lint from the couch cushions either.

Miss C went to a birthday party at a gymnastics center Saturday afternoon and when I dropped her off she was showing off her new gap-tooth smile. One of the moms said, “Oh, what did the tooth fairy bring you?” and Miss C told her she got a dollar.

Apparently this mom just could not leave well enough alone. She was a self-professed Tooth Fairy Authority. “You know there are lots of tooth fairies don’t you?”  she asked Miss C.

Miss C, who has been brought up on the  sole reigning Tooth Fairy theory, looked over at me confused. “Noooo,” she answered timidly.

“Well,” the mom explained. “How do you explain why different kids get different amounts of money from the tooth fairy?’

Uh, thanks lady.

My comeback was a good one, I think. “Well Santa does have his elves, so maybe the Tooth Fairy has helpers, too!”

Whew.

Come on fellow moms. I don’t know how much longer Miss C is going to believe in the magic of the Tooth Fairy. I’m sure some of her school friends have already hinted around that they don’t believe the Tooth Fairy is real. I know some parents don’t play along with the fantasy, but I want Miss C to embrace innocent childhood magic for as long as she can. Before long the sparkly aura of faith in the unimaginable will fade along with her belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny. Don’t screw things up for her. I won’t inject my theories into your Tooth Fairy stories if you won’t inject yours into mine. Deal?

1. Jennifer says:

I don’t understand mothers like this. Why do they feel like they can insert their method into ours? And different amounts of money?!?! What is wrong with her? What if you had told her kid that your tooth fairy gives out fifty bucks. How would she feel about that?
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..The In Between =-.

2. Jamie says:

Well it irritated me. I had never met this woman before in my life and she starts tossing around Tooth Fairy ideology!!!!! 😉

3. Diane Danielson says:

My favorite “tooth fairy” story was when my friend thought she should be honest with her 5 year old, and told her that she (mommy) was the tooth fairy. Her daughter’s response? “Gee Mommy, that explains why you’re tired and cranky all the time. Must be hard visiting all those kids every night.”

We’ve been laughing over that one for 5 years. But, I do agree, what that woman did was soooooo out of line.

4. Jamie says:

Diane, that is hilarious!

My daughter asked me if the tooth fairy was small or the size of a regular person.

So many questions, so little material on the Tooth Fairy. There needs to be a Tooth Fairy for Dummies Guide. I know I could use it!
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..Beware The Tooth Fairy Authority Mom =-.

5. Traci says:

WTH was wrong with that Mom? My oldest is about over the tooth fairy, but I am trying to keep it going. What is wrong with letting them believe in magic for a little while? That mom needs a smackdown!

6. Amy says:

WHY do moms do this? So annoying!! You stick to your theories and let others stick to theirs. Don’t ever conflict with tooth fairy or Santa stories.

For example, our Santa comes alphabetically to our town so we can open gifts on Christmas Eve. I dare any mother to challenge this theory 🙂 Ha!

7. Rebecca says:

That is very rude! I will never understand some people. Oh, and by the way my daughter just went to an 8 year old birthday party and guess what….they rented a hummer limo to drive the girls around!!! My daughter had a blast but let me tell you this is one spoiled girl and she has the cell phone (at 8 mind you) and the ATTITUDE to prove it!

8. tracey says:

My middle son just lost a tooth and was very irked when the tooth fairy forgot to exchange it for cash. After redirecting him to the kitchen to search for something, he was pleasantly surprised to return to his room and find a crumpled dollar bill thrown haphazardly on his dresser top! Imagine that!
    .-= tracey´s last blog ..In Which My Naive Heart Meets Reality =-.

9. Steph. says:

My gosh! I hope that you shot your meanest glare at this buzz kill of a mom. Why on Earth would she say this to your daughter? Everyone knows that almost all people do these kind of things slightly differently. It’s Mom Code to not draw one mom’s tradition under question with the child. Doesn’t she know that!

My daughter’s first friend in K lost his tooth yesterday. I can’t believe we’re about to have that toothy grin at our house again soon too!