This September Brought To You By The Tooth Fairy

Miss C has had a wiggly top front tooth for more than a week, just loose enough to be aggravating, but not loose enough to pull. Last weekend she lost a pesky bottom tooth, just her second tooth ever to be presented to the Tooth Fairy, and it was quite an ordeal for her to muster up the courage to relent to the hubby yanking it and putting it out of its about to fall out of her gums misery. It was getting to the point where I was just going to hand her a caramel apple and tell her to have at it.

The hubby headed out last night to pick her up from a birthday party and when they walked in the back door the hubby told me to close my eyes because not only did Miss C bring home a party favor bag, but everyone had a goody bag to bring home to their mother.

I closed my eyes wondering what they were up to and Miss C whisper shouted, “OK open your eyes mommy!” and handed me a small plastic bag…with her front tooth in it.

Apparently her tooth was at the point of falling out while the girls were in the midst of watching a movie at the party and Miss C could take it no more. She went into the bathroom followed by a couple of her friends, motivated by both support and curiosity over the gross out factor (blood!), who gathered around and chanted, “Pull it! Pull it! Pull it!” Fast forward a dozen years to a Friday night party with her friends and I’m sure they’ll be chanting something entirely different and perhaps involving beer. Then again, I may not let her out of the house on Fridays nights in a dozen years.

This wasn’t just any run-of-the-mill tooth. It was a tooth she had nearly knocked after a fall when she was 2. It had always been slightly discolored since then and was a small physical reminder of her toddler days, like the wispy baby hair at the nape of her neck.

She’s growing up more and more every day, and she’s not taking her baby teeth with her.

SDC10014

Thanks ya’ll. She is VERY proud. She’s 7 and this is just her third tooth she’s lost. All her friends have been losing teeth for a while.

I need to consult with the Tooth Fairy and make sure she’s stocked up on small bills.

2. Rebecca says:

What a pretty, happy face! I can’t wait until the Tooth Fairy starts to come to our house. I’m curious whether she’ll bring $2 bills and unusual large coins like she did when I was a kid. Tooth pillows are waiting for their time.
    .-= Rebecca´s last blog ..Car seat snack =-.

3. Lauren says:

How precious!! We are not quite to that point yet (I have a 4 year old) must be bittersweet, huh? I relate to wanting to keep them in a closet in about a dozen years! 🙂

4. Erica Stone says:

Just a month and a half ago, my six year old son lost his first tooth. He’s the baby and he’s growing too fast. He’d been so anxious to lose his first tooth that he’d actually complained one night about being the only kid in Kindergarten who hadn’t yet lost one. However, when it started to wiggle at dinner one night, the first words out of his mouth were “Uh-oh. I’m in trouble and I don’t have a good feeling about this!” He eventually let my sister pull on it enough that it came out two days later – outside, while he was playing basketball. We never found the tooth and I was crushed. Isn’t it amazing what tugs on a mother’s heartstrings?

5. Brad Mabry says:

Great article and a wonderful picture of the toothless little lass! What brave girls she and her friends were to endure the extraction and pack it in a bag for Mom’s surprise.

6. Adam says:

Cuuuuute!!!
    I remember myself at this age, I got so upset when I found out the tooth fairy was actually my mom… Hope I do a better job as a tooth fairy myself:)