Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep And Damn Do I Feel Old

Sunday night Miss C and I were curled up in her bed, which was my childhood bed all my years growing up from as young as I can remember. When I was her age I slept beneath a beautiful crazy quilt backed in pink fabric and I had white eyelet pillow shams and a white eyelet dust ruffle and in the winter I had pastel flannel sheets that got softer with each laundering. And, like Miss C at age 7, I slept with a million stuffed animals. But of course there were some fundamental differences. I was 7 years old in 1976.

“Mommy tell me about your room when you were a little girl,” Miss C asked.

“Well, I had this bed in my room,” I said, pointing up to her headboard. “And see that white bookcase? That was in my room, too. And I had a little TV when I was in junior high and high school.”

“Did you have a computer in your room?”

“No, they didn’t really have computers when I was growing up. But I had a stereo with a record player!”

“What’s a record player?”

“It’s a music player. I could listen to my favorite records on it.”

“What’s a record?”

1. Holly Schwendiman says:

*sigh* I get similar responses when I share things from my childhood as well, and somehow you just can’t help them understand how cool goucho boots and Donny & Marie were.

Hugs,
    Holly

I remember listening to the Grease soundtrack in 3rd grade (1978) on an old suitcase type record player. We’d listen to it at lunch at school!

I also remember when MTV played music videos and making mix tapes on my “boom box.” Ahem.

3. Mary@The Writer's Block says:

Love it. I am one year younger than you. I remember the DAY we got our first VCR, our first microwave oven, our first cordless phone. Heck, our main TV had a little remote with three buttons (power, channel up/down, volume) and we had a 2nd black and white TV for years. Totally made the same mix tapes–recorded off the radio–for my boom box.

4. amy2boys says:

OH I know this! My daughter was the same – she practically thought I listened to a Victrola! But now things go so fast that she remembers things her brothers have never laid eyes on – like cassette tapes and VHS tapes. She remembers life before the iPod. And she’s only 13 years older Shark Boy.

Like once a quarter you have a post title that is just hilariously brilliant, btw!
    .-= amy2boys´s last blog ..Touchstone =-.

5. Dee Thompson says:

You’re not old. I was born in 1962. When I first met my son [he’s adopted] his first question was “How old are you?” When I told him 44, his eyes got huge. LOL My kids had never seen a microwave oven or so many things until they came here [they are Russian] but I still get looks when I talk about things like rotary phones…

Leighann I still say album, too!

I can remember 45s as a kid. I had an entire collection of them.

7. Karen Hartzell, Graco says:

So now I know we are the same age! lol I miss my record player and records. Funny that my ipod is also filled with 80’s songs and I still try and make my hair “big”. Our children will never know the sweet sound of the tv dial spinning or know the perils of having to get up to change the tv channel. lol
    .-= Karen Hartzell, Graco´s last blog ..Ideas for Grandparent