This From A Kid Who’s Requested Cheese Dogs Every Night For Dinner

I scheduled both girls for physicals last Friday afternoon. It seems like I never get around to well visits because well, they’re either well for long stretches at a time and who the heck wants to sully that up with potential germ fest in the waiting room (yes our doctor’s office has the well/sick separate waiting areas, but still) or they’re sick. It’s never a good time to book well visits as kids get older. I remember their baby well visits being almost like mini holidays and me calling the grandparents from the car immediately afterwards and rattling off percentile stats. But now that the girls are 4 and 7 and everyone’s pooping in the potty and eating solid foods and color coordinating outfits and asking me to get their ears pierced, the well visits just kind of get in the way.

We  waited for a while and then were ushered to the back by the friendly nurse and the girls giggled nonstop when they put on oversized solid color t-shirts as examining gowns and pretended to be ghosts.

What really killed me was when our pediatrician, God bless him, was asking the girls a litany of questions. When he stopped to ask Miss A, who was sprawled out on the examining table,what kinds of food she liked to eat she piped up without hesitation and with much enthusiasm, “Carrots!”

To which I thought, WTH? This is my cheese dog lovin’ girl. She’ll eat carrots, excuse me a carrot, don’t get me wrong, but her response cracked me up.

Fast forward to Miss C and our pediatrician asks her the same thing, “What do you like to eat?” She responds, again without hesitation and with much enthusiasm, “Lettuce…and celery!”

I started laughing and he turned around to look at me and said, “Sounds like a couple of girls are telling me what they think I want to hear. Either that or you’re raising a couple of rabbits.”

1. Heather Solos says:

Ha! Sounds exactly like my kids. My 5yo has been playing the violin for a couple years. Practicing has never been fun, but we do it. However, if someone he hasn’t played for walks by he’s suddenly able to render whatever we’ve been working on with a flourish.
    I always wonder what else he’s holding back.
    .-= Heather Solos´s last blog ..Pancakes 101: The Basic Buttermilk Pancake =-.

2. kel says:

HA – I have one who scrutinizes everything we eat so she can break down the ‘healthy’ content for me and I have one who prefers her food fried and potato based. 🙂 Sounds like you should put a salad in front of them one night and remind them ‘how much they really like veggies’ just before you break out the cheesy-dogs. 🙂
    ~K
    .-= kel´s last blog ..1st Day =-.

3. Coma Girl says:

That’s too funny! It’s like they’re already pracitcing for the doctor asking them as adults “how often do you drink?” “Oh, just socially on the weekends”

Except Tuesday isn’t a weekend.
    .-= Coma Girl´s last blog ..Identity =-.

4. Mandy @ Bona Fide Mama says:

Just checked out your profile! Looks like we have similar taste in music. And I keep saying that one day He-Man will run a b&b. My hubby and I have similar dreams of running certains types of businesses together. Thanks for coming by my blog. There aren’t a lot of other blogger moms here in the Boro so it’s nice to catch up with local bloggers, even if you are all the way in Nashville!

5. Jill says:

Maybe there is some innate “lie to the dr” gene within girls//women because I always say I drink “MAYBE a couple glasses of wine a week” and I “exercise at least 5 times a week”. HA! Whatever gets me in and out ASAP without a lecture. And over 40, the lying just gets worse.
    .-= Jill´s last blog ..First Day of School – 2009 =-.

6. Dee Thompson says:

Too funny! I am getting flashbacks to when I used to date [cough, cough] years ago and on the first date always just ate a salad.

I am lucky my kids come from Russia and Kazakhstan, where fresh veggies are scarce 9 months of the year – they LOVE raw tomatoes and raw cucumbers, and never fuss about eating a salad. However, I give them multivitamins every day just in case they don’t get all the nutrients they need. I am very pro-vitamin…

7. Sarah Lipp says:

That is so funny 🙂 I can’t wait for my daughter to be able to talk! She already has attitude at 3 months so I’m sure she’ll have me on the floor with her commentary.
    .-= Sarah Lipp´s last blog ..Preparation =-.

8. I'm a mommy too! says:

As I mentioned in one of your other stories, I am fairly new to reading mommy blogs. I think yours is wonderful!! I also enjoy http://www.mommymeltingpot.com. Hers are terrific too.

Kids are so cute. They do know what the doctor likes to hear. My kids are grown now, but they would always tell people that they LOVED their veggies!! They just didn’t tell them that they had to be on top of PIZZA!!

Kids are something else!