Our Golden Girl

For the first time I can ever recall our dog Bailey needs help getting up on our couch.

Excuse me, I mean her couch.

Normally at night she retired to the old burgundy couch downstairs but the last two nights I have found her in the hallway outside our bedroom, curled up on the hardwood floor against the hall closet door. We have an extra dog bed that she normally doesn’t use, but I dragged it and placed it in the hallway Tuesday night and last night I moved it into our bedroom to a primo spot on the floor by the hubby’s side of the bed. This now means we are both flanked by dogs as Jack, our Akita mix, sleeps on a dog bed on the floor on my side of the bed.

Bailey will be 12 this fall and she’s just now starting to show her age. She can no longer do the one-mile loop around our neighborhood with ease, but she still looks fabulous.

bailey-lei

I realize I am no Dooce when it comes to canine photography, but trust me it was nothing short of a miracle to get a shot of Bailey happily modeling a plastic lei! The girls may have had something to do with the fashion choice.

1. mrschattypants says:

Aww….poor baby. Getting old sucks whether you are a two legger or a four legger I guess. She looks like a beautiful dog and very much loved! Love the lei! She even looks like she is smiling. Kind of like, “yeah, those kids. I gotta humor them and let them put this plastic thing around my neck so they can take my picture.” LOL!!

2. Amy says:

Our dog will be 12 in August. He still does pretty well. He doesn’t jump up on the bed as often as he used to (I’m not complaining) but he can if he wants to.

Cute picture of her!

3. Mary says:

Tell Bailey that she looks beautiful! Daisy walks on 3 legs and is fat because she steals the boys’ food all the time. She can’t jump up on the couch either. But yes, she does still sleep with us in our bed every night and I would have it no other way! They were our first babies, after all.

4. Steph. says:

Our lab, Molly, is just a year younger and she’s getting to where she can’t jump up in the back of our SUV anymore. We’re about to have a pool built, and I worry about it stressing her out as she used to have a seizure problem. She’s such a sweetheart that she’s managed to morph me from a devoted cat lover and the rest of my family will be devastated completely when she’s gone. Love your picture too, by the way. Dooce, smooce…(grin)

My husband is actually thinking about buying her special “doggy steps” so she can still get on her downstairs couch.

I complain a lot lately about dog hair, etc., but she really was our first baby and she is pretty much the matriarch of this house! (poor Jack…she bosses him around) 😉

6. Melany says:

Aww. She’s so sweet. Our dog is part dachshund (the legs part) and will likely never be able to jump up on the couch. This is our first experience with a family dog and I already get a little sad thinking about what it will be like when he gets older. I hope he ages as gracefully as it looks like Bailey has. 😉

7. I'm a mommy too! says:

I’m fairly new to reading all the mommy blogs. I enjoy yours very much. I also like the http://www.mommymeltingpot.com very much too.

Your story and photo about your Bailey is precious. She sure is a sweetie.

I don’t have any dogs, but I have cats. Some of our cats sleep with my husband and I. They curl up in our legs and it’s hard to even change positions. But we love our kitties and wouldn’t have it any other way!

8. ab exercise dvd says:

I appreciate this wonderful post you supplied for us. We guarantee this would be beneficial for a great deal of.

9. Metal Guitar Picks says:

I admit, I have not been on this webpage in a long time… however it was another joy to see It is this kind of an important topic and ignored by so numerous, even professionals. I thank you to assist making people a lot more conscious of possible issueGreat stuff as typical…