Swim, Bike, Run, Grump

jcc-sprint-tri

Big congrats to my big sister who finished the Memorial Day Sprint Distant Triathlon held at the Nashville JCC sponsored by Team Magic. Her final race time was 1 hr 16 minutes, just one minute over her goal finish time! She completed a 200 yard swim, an 8.5 mile bike ride and 2 mile run. My sister has lost an amazing 40 pounds since training! She hadn’t ridden a bike in 30 years when she bought her bike in 2007. Yesterday was the third triathlon event she has completed. She is truly an inspiration and proof that it’s never too late to start training for an athletic event. Psssstttt….my sister celebrated her 50th birthday last November.

You go girl!

As you can see all the sitting and waiting and eating Goldfish crackers at the triathlon sidelines was just too taxing on poor Miss A who was ready to go home about 5 minutes after we arrived. Trust me I was ready for her to go home about five minutes after we arrived. I tried to document the grumpiness but she wouldn’t even look at the camera.

grumpy-miss-a

She wasn’t much happier sitting on my dad’s shoulders wearing his big mouth bass baseball cap. Maybe she was po’d because I wouldn’t let her wear her beloved black boots?

sdc10599

A certain grumpy girl had to take a potty break and we ended up missing my sister’s finish. I’m thinking next year Miss A can stay home and eat Goldfish crackers from the comfort of the sofa. Thank God it was overcast yesterday and not 85 degrees and sunny or Miss A would have spontaneously combusted into a fireball of grump.

Miss A cheered up after the race was over. Especially when she and Miss C borrowed some stranger’s Eddie Bauer camping chairs.

sdc10607

All kidding aside, we love you Beth and we are all SO proud of you!

1. Jamie says:

Busy Mom:

It was impressive. There were a lot of kids there. I think my sister said the youngest in the race was 9 years old!

I want to mention my sister’s coach, Stephen Taylor. He’s been awesome for her to work with. His website is http://www.STtrainer.com

2. Amy says:

“spontaneously combusted into a fireball of grump” — ha! that’s funny.

Congratulations to your sister – that is an impressive accomplishment!!

3. Jamie says:

Jennifer:

My sister is a single mom and when my niece went to college a couple of years ago she started really devoting time to fitness. It’s really paid off. She has worked really hard.

Amy:

Yeah she was a fireball of grump alright.

4. STtrainer says:

Blond Mom, thanks for the great write-up on Beth. She has really kicked it in during the last 6-8 months and has made a phenomenal change in her life. I so enjoy coaching her and watching her lead by example to other beginners.

Stephen

5. Prams and Pushchairs UK says:

That’s cool to see your sis’ getting out there and doing what she wants! Let it be an inspiration to others- also, very cute photo of miss ‘grumps’ even if you she wasn’t meaning to be :o)

6. Missy says:

Good for her. My SIL runs half marathons. My kids are terribly bored at that whole scene. And we are usually on the Va Beach Oceanfront.

7. sheila says:

Jamie, I am so impressed with your weekend adventure with your sister. She has had an amazing accomplishment in losing 40 pounds. Tha is a whole lot of hard work and discipline. I also say it is an understanding and acceptance by expecially we women that we have to have some me time to be the best we can be. It is hard when you have children, a husband, a dog, a house, a job, school stuff, church stuff, bills to pay, grandparents to visit…. etc!!!! Wow, I am tired!!!! But seeing your sister is very encouraging. i am proud of her and or you for supporting her. She deserves this write up and fame!!! Thanks for sharing!

8. Steph. says:

I have this in my goal for before I turn 40 (I turn 38 in July, so I’d better GET on it!), so I really admire what you’re sister has done!

9. Mary Schweitzer says:

I also am VERY proud of my sister Beth! She is an inspiration to me and looks great, I know she will continue to keep up the hard work! WTG!!! I am so proud of all my sisters, and love them so much.

Your sis Mary

10. Home Plans says:

What a pathetic display of un-sportsmanship – not to mention losing, after the NFL let him buy a cheat and win pass. He should be ashamed beyond words for both.

11. Keiy says:

I like your blog Blonde Mom, reading your posts make me feel as if I’m in your position with 2 cute daughters and I’ll love it.