Reunited And It Feels So, Uh, Different

I graduated in 1987 and made it to my 10-year  but not my 20-year high school reunion so it’s been fun to check out everyone’s family photos on Facebook. The most hilarious photos, though, are the 80s big hair shots that people have started scanning and posting (God help us all if my friends start scanning college pics). There’s a definite aura of Aquanet and Def Leppard about these 80s high school pictures. I don’t care if you were the preppy collar up bowhead Muffy or the head bangin’ black concert t-shirt rocker or the pseudo punk Madonna wanna be laden down with 50 bangles on each wrist, twenty years later we all look like extras in a John Hughes film.

prom-1987

Me and hubby, prom 1987. Our theme was apparently baby blue, which is very attractive in eyeshadow.

Several of my classmates started their families in their 20s so their children are now teenagers. One friend’s daughter just got married, which is really crazy to me, but she and her husband got married right out of high school.

At 39 I’m one of the older, OK if not oldest, moms in Miss A’s daycare class. I don’t really consider myself an “older” mom, I mean it’s not like I’m drinking Ensure or sweatin’ to the oldies (I’m taking hip hop!), but compared to a mom my age who started their family in their early 20s instead of nearly 33 then there is a world of difference. I’m knee deep into soccer, dance lessons, and first grade birthday parties. They’re knee deep into prom, high school graduation, and college applications.

One of my high school friends has teenagers and she recently wrote me and said that she couldn’t imagine having young children. “You’re definitely in a different stage,” she wrote.

I noticed she didn’t choose a word like “fun” or “charming” or “adorable.”

1. Leisa A. Hammett says:

Teased here via Twitter: Like you I’m an…”older mom.” I was 34 when I gave birth. Interestingly, however, I married, at 27, the year YOU went to the prom. And, apparently I had a three-year-old the year you got married. My brain is split: “YOU’RE YOUNG!” I say to myself. And then seeing how behind technologically I am from all the 20s and 30somethings: I. Feel. Old. Shut up already. (That was me talking to me.)

2. Coma Girl says:

Personally, I think you’re much more wiser and prepared when you have children in your 30’s (don’t tell my mom who had me when she was 17!)

But my husband has it both ways – his kids are 23, 22, 18, 16 and 2-1/2! He always says that he’s a much better parent now than he was when he was in his 20’s.

And now I have that song stuck in my head!

3. Jen at The Cute Kid says:

Is it scary that I haven’t gotten to my 10 year reunion yet and the embaressing photos from all school stages have already started to appear on my FB? Oh wait, I’M the one that posted those, haha. The comments you get after they’re posted are DEFINITELY the best part! Posted some at 3 am and had 34 alerts by 12pm that day, lol.

4. Ernestine says:

This post makes your mom smile. I was a young mother with your sisters and brother being born in my early 20’s. Then when I was 33 – here comes Jamie.
    I remember you telling me a number of times “I have the oldest mother of anyone in my class”. lol From your mom.

5. vahnee says:

hilarious.. i used to love Def Leppard. i’ve noticed a few friends posting similar pics of us in h.s., so embarrassing. 🙂 I didn’t go to our ten-year reunion, which at the time felt cooler-than-thou, but now I think it might be nice to meet some of them again.

6. Holly Schwendiman says:

Hee hee, yes having them later keeps you younger in so many ways! All of course while making you feel older, constantly exhausted telling yourself over and over “THIS is why people have them when they’re still in their 20’s!”

It is fun to catch up and keep with old classmates on Facebook isn’t it? Oh the wonderful 80’s. Proud to claim it as my era, big hair, big music strides and all! LOL

Hugs,
    Holly

7. Bluegrass Mama says:

I was 27 when my first child was born, and 36 for #2. I still have trouble relating to most of my daughter’s friends’ moms because they are so young!

8. Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com says:

Oh my goodness, have the pictures with the shirts tied in bundles on the side been coming up? And the crimped hair? Because if so, I am never ever going to seek out people from my past on Facebook lol.

My parents started their family young. I guess it wasn’t young for the time as a whole, but it was about 10 years younger than other people in California. Several years ago, my parents started to reunite with people they knew in high school or college. Not many people, mind you, but just enough to do the math that when their kids were in college, their friends’ kids were in kindergarten. They’ve been getting a kick out of it. Lol.

9. Busy Mom says:

Eh, I’m 5 years older than you and I have a 6 year old.

When Busy D. was in daycare, the teacher AND 4 of the other parents had been Busy Dad’s students when they were in high school.

Busy D. is destined to a life of, “Oh, you know him, he’s the one with the older parents.”

10. Deb - Mom of 3 Girls says:

You were only a year ahead of me in school – I graduated in ’88. And I know exactly what you mean about being one of the ‘older’ moms at daycare, preschool, etc. My closest friends have kids around the same age as mine though. 🙂

11. Nap Warden says:

Would you believe I have never made it to any of our reunions? That said, I will admit here that, I was a Madonna wanna be:P I have never used so much mousse in my life:P

12. Michelle Smiles says:

A few of my old friends have been breaking out the 80’s photos on face book this week too. It is a hoot. But I also am one of the older moms…many of my friends have teens now and it is as hard for them to relate to me as it was for me to relate to them when I was nursing a hangover 10 years ago while they were changing diapers.

And I truly believe the 80’s Aquanet usage is responsible for 75% of that hole in the ozone layer.

13. Rick @ Tiny Prints says:

Facebook has been hilarious for sharing these all scanned photos that would otherwise stay in a shoebox somewhere. They’re popping up all over! If it was one or two it might be embarrassing but they’re so many all we do is laugh.

Like a female friend says, “where did we find that look in Cosmo?”

Then there is the one outcast in class who stood out by not following all the popular trends and now look fantastic and timeless in the photos.

14. Jill says:

I hear ya…. at 41 with a 3 year old, I’m not exactly the youngest duckling picking up my chicklette at daycare every day. But with age comes wisdom, and more expendable cash.

15. Alexandra says:

Hilarious!! What memories..the shirts tied in a bundle on the side..I remember you actually had to PURCHASE a special item to do that fasion trick. No Kidding. Anyway, enjoyable nostalgic reading..and we all thought we were so hot. I had my first sweet baby at 35, second one at 39, and this last little gem at 42. So, you ARE young…my poor youngest will have to push his mom in on a wheelchair at his high school graduation. Poor thing. But, older moms are so much cooler…funnier, more to say, and full of stories, and not hung up on petty petty.