You’re Gonna Miss This

miss-a

Today is Miss A’s 4th birthday! I found this post the other night in my drafts folder and thought it would be perfect to post today.

I wake just after 6, just as the sun is coming up.

The house is uncharacteristically quiet. I fix a cup of coffee in my favorite pink and white mug, a gift from my best friend, and sit down in my creaky old wooden chair at my desk to check e-mail.

I hear a door in the hallway open and Miss A call out, “Mommyyyyyyyyy.”

She pads along the hardwood floor in her bare feet, her nightgown skimming her calves, her long wavy hair tousled, her thumb in her mouth.

She curls up on the couch and calls out again, “Mommyyyyyyyy. I want you sit down with me.”

I pick her up and hold her and her body melts into mine as she curls up and puts her face in the crook of my neck. We sit there quietly and I tell her a story about the night after she was born. Visiting hours were long over and the hubby was at home with Miss C. I had just finished nursing her and she was a swaddled little ball of warmth and I held close to my chest, just like this.

Happy 4th Birthday Miss A!

amelia-grace-march-2005-001

Sweetness in the hospital. Loved the purple bow the nurses put on her head.

bassinet

Seriously? My girls were this little?

dsc00688

Sleepy girl just 11 days old.

10weeks2

10 weeks old…height of spring. One of my favorite pictures!

1. Ernestine says:

I will call my baby girl in an hour to wish her Happy Birthday. Seems like yesterday she was born and as time goes by I have the thoughts that whenever I look at her she is always smiling at this grandma.

2. Virginia@cars4causes says:

Your post made me cry! Awww, my kids are grown, but every year on their birthdays I relive those precious moments when I first held them in my arms, and those fleeting days of early childhood when I was the center of the Universe.
    Now they are married and living their own lives, but I will cherish those days forever.
    Happy Birthday to Miss A!

3. melissa says:

happy birthday!!! it does go so fast!! i’m going to be wishing my children a happy 11th and 13th very soon!!
    have an amazing 4th b’day, little miss a!!

4. Jamie says:

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone! I believe this is one of the sappiest posts I’ve ever written. Sigh… 😉

5. Kathy@brazoscowgirl says:

My oldest Dunk is so big now, but me a lot of the time think of him as that scrawny boy that refused to stay at Grandpas when Dad was on the tractor. They take forever to potty train and then you turn around and they are dating!

Hug her each and every day while she will let you! I wish I had hugged my kids more, but even back then I would attempt to smother them with love. There is only so much mush a boy will take!

6. Kaiton (RockstarMama) says:

WOW. This post, like no other, got me super choked up. Made me think of my twins who just celebrated their 3rd birthday, back when they were tiny 3 pound peanuts in the NICU. Why do they grow so fast?? WHY??!!!??!? Don’t they know they’re supposed to be your babies forever??

7. I'm a mommy too! says:

Don’t you just love the pics when they were babies. It’s hard to believe that they were once that small.

I love to look at all my grandchildren’s baby pics too. I have 6 grandkids and one more on the way in December.

How blessed I am!!!!