So You Think You Can Dance? Well I Sure As Heck Can’t

Tonight marks week four of my Wednesday night hip hop dance classs for moms at Miss C’s dance studio. About half the class is spent doing floor exercises and one of the toughest ones is something our teacher calls “butts.” I used to call them donkey kicks. Whatever you call them they are just loads of fun. Not really, but I tell myself that the entire time. I just imagine my butt magically being air lifted back into place with each kick and that helps me see them through to the end of the reps.

The other half of the class we spend working on choreographed dance moves. Unfortunately because I am one of the shortest women in the class I end up on the front row and I honestly cannot watch myself in the mirror without getting completely lost or laughing at myself so I focus on the instructor. I now have a true appreciation for all the contestants on Dancing With the Stars.

We’ve been dancing to Britney Spears Womanizer and I made the mistake of playing the video on YouTube for the girls. I promptly closed out the Web browser as soon as the video started and Miss A shouted, “Mommy, that YOU? You naked?!!!”

Because I have a talent for turning any occasion into an excuse for shopping, I’ve wanted to buy some new workout clothes for class. Unfortunately if you Google hip hop dance clothes, you find a lot of this:

My genetic makeup is diametrically opposed to any sort of clothing with writing on the butt, so I’m just sticking with my boring, standard yoga pants and t-shirt. I don’t want to carry this hip hop mama thing too far.

1. Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com says:

I’d skip the stuff with words on the butt too. But mostly because whenever I see someone with a word on their butt, I have to follow them around stalker-like until I read what their pants say. And by then, I look stupid, but the other person looks really ashamed that someone had to stare so pointedly at their butt just to read “Juicy” or “Angel.”

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.coms last blog post..Spice rack.

2. kel says:

words on the butt no, but I did see a pair of the cutest pants not that long ago…hum, wear did I see them…will have to get back to you on that, but definitely no words! It’s too cool that your doing the class, that’s awesome!
    ~K

3. rachel-asouthernfairytale says:

NOTHING is cute with words on the butt. nothing.

I died when we were at the store and saw pants in Princess’ size that had ‘juicy’ written on the rear. THAT made me sick.

At our age, definitely not okay 😉 LOL

4. Crissy says:

I just saw your blog description- 17 years as a writer and highest viewed blog? Good for you, that is exciting!
    I am graduating in June with a Mass Communication degree, and I have always dreamed about writing. What kind of writing do you do, and do you have any tips for me?
    😉 Kick all the other girls butts in that dance class!
    Crissy

Crissys last blog post..Precious nap time

5. Robin says:

Amen to nixing anything with writing on the tail. Sheesh! Why does Victoria Secret keep introducing pants like this? Who are their customers at this point, teenagers? It appears so. I’m with you, sister, sticking with yoga pants.

6. luxury says:

The Atlanta Luxury Lifestyle Examiner strives to explore all aspects of the luxury lifestyle as it relates to products, hotels,
    fashion, cars, restaurants, etc. Outdoor foam is extremely
    different from the traditional indoor foam which surprisingly is offered with many
    outdoor products. Sure you enjoy the luxury everyday but the
    initial excitement you felt will tend to reduce as you get
    familiar with the car and get used to it.