He’s Just Not That Into You (And Also He’s Just Really Cheap)

The hubby and I didn’t have any plans for Valentine’s Day but my sweet neighbor (hello neighbor who now knows about my blog!) gave me a flier yesterday for parent’s night out at her church. For less than $5 the girls get to party from 5 to 9 while the hubby and I go out on a date. Can I get an Amen?

We don’t need to spend much money since we’re going to Florida for spring break, and this got me thinking about cheap dates and funny dating stories. Oh and I have a few. Some of which I would rather not remember.

When I was in college I briefly dated a guy I’ll call “Pretty Boy With A Sportscar.” He worked at the local mall part time and I met him at a party. I guess I should have known we were destined to not end up together since he wore more hair gel than me, but he was a nice looking guy AND he had a very nice car. What can I say? I was shallow and he had hot wheels and a great stereo system that he liked to show off by blaring Vanilla Ice (clue number 985 that this guy wasn’t for me).

One of our last dates that I can recall was on a Friday night when he asked if I’d like to come over to his apartment and watch a movie. This was back in the early 90s so we went to the VHS rental place and we ended up renting some independent film I selected because I was miss artsy journalism major and wanted to expand his frat boy mind. I can’t recall what the movie was, but obviously it wasn’t that great.

He apologized for not being able to take me out to dinner and a movie that night for our date because he was so broke. Then he proudly showed me the new outfit and cologne he’d just bought for himself at the mall.

We never went out again.

So in the spirit of Valentine’s Day, tell me your cheap date stories. I know you’ve got ’em.

1. kompostela says:

Great chance to have a date for you with your hubby:)) I’ll be at home because we have no one to baby sit for us:))

I’ve also known one guy who never took me to the movie or anywhere else. But later I discovered that he has enough money but he was very greedy even with his best friends. He went to party or to bar only when someone promised to pay for him.

2. Holly Schwendiman says:

Yay for a little R&R for moms and dads! At least the date didn’t try to swoon you with his “sensitive” side by making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all the while telling you how sensitive he really is. *sticks out tongue*

Hugs,
    Holly

Holly Schwendimans last blog post..Influence Squared

3. Amy says:

I had a date at the Krystal ONE time…might have been better just to say, lets ride around, I don’t have much money!!

4. Amy says:

I don’t have a cheap date story but I have a bad, bad husband story. Our first Valentines together we decided we couldn’t afford anything for each other so we were to have no gifts. I noticed he took $40 out of the account on Valentines’ Day so I ran to get him something. The jerk didn’t even buy me a card, he blew it on alcohol. I was fuming mad! But-over the years I have slowly trained him better. This year he is taking me out to a restaurant we both have wanted to try.

Amys last blog post..The life and times of a slacker blogger

5. Southern jezeBelle says:

OH this is a good one.

Met a guy at a local watering hole, akin to “cheers” that a girlfriend and I hung out at quite often. He started calling me, etc. and finally asked me out. I didn’t want him to pick me up since I didn’t really know him that well so I told him I’d meet him at the theater (movie first date: LAME!). I arrived and he was waiting. He informed me that he’d already got his ticket and oh did I mind paying for mine because he was kinda broke.

Um, actually I do dimwad!

Southern jezeBelles last blog post..Great News

6. bridgett says:

It’s a husband cheap date–before we were married, in college, we would scrounge change together and drive out to this pizza place that had a $4.99 take out special on a large pizza. Then we’d go to a quik trip (gas station) and fill our reusable two quart mug/jug with dr. pepper. We’d sit in the pizza joint’s parking lot and have dinner.

It beat dorm food….

bridgetts last blog post..Mary’s tornado

7. mamatulip says:

I honestly can’t think of a cheap date story, but I will never ever forget my girlfriend telling me about this one guy she went on a blind date with. He was more of the Redneck variety – he popped open some cans of Bud once they got in his pick ’em up truck and, since it was the summer, he had a sweat rag for sopping up neck/face perspiration.

8. Nohell says:

A dude at WKU asked me on a date to Murray’s diner. He didn’t have a car so I agreed to pick him up. Fine. Lots of kids don’t have cars. At Murray’s, he pulled the ‘ol I-forgot-my-wallet trick. Not wanting to wash dishes, I paid. I was headed to the Bowling Green Mall anyway so he tagged along. There, the sucker had the nerve to ask me to buy a cassette tape for him. Hell. And. No. That was the first and last date with that freak!

9. Nap Warden says:

I went out with a guy right before Husband. I was in my 30’s, and the dude was like 38. He actually drove me way up to the north side to a pizza by the slice dive. Then, he expected me to pay half. I was floored. Was that a date?

Nap Wardens last blog post..Sick, and Wrong

10. stacy says:

I had this guy once ask me out on a first date… he took me to the movies… then walked ahead of me..naturally I thought he was going to pay for my movie since he asked me out… he paid only for his ticket and walked away from the counter for me to pay for mine! I was shocked but tried to pretend it didn’t bother me…then after the movie he had no plans to take me out to dinner…he just acted like he had to get home to do something…but before he got in his car..he whispered if I wanted play a little hanky panky… I was fuming at this point and yelled “No!, I’m not that kind of girl and your so freaking lame anyways” he had this expression like “What!?” I just spinned on my heels and got in my car and went home!!! *Shaking my head* I dont want to think about that night again! Jerk 🙂

11. Children's Bedroom Furniture says:

I guess we all have our dating horror stories that we can now look back at and laugh about!

I think it’s good to get out for date nights on a regular basis. After all, you’re relationship with your mate is where everything began from and became the blessed and rich life we all now have; kids, soccer practice, piano lessons, dog poop, etc. etc. Ah, isn’t it grand!

I think balance is really important. We can’t ever forget about the romance we once shared with our partner and should constantly remind ourselves of it and keep it alive within our everyday lives.

It’s just as important as changing diapers in my opinion!!!