The Call Of The Wired

I’ve been seeing a chiropractor since November due to some tingling and such in my arm and foot, not to mention a literal pain in my ass and horrible neck and shoulder tension. I think most of this can be attributed to the fact that I sit way too much and am glued to my computer most days. After my first adjustment I honestly felt like I was floating around. It was as if some vile stress demons were exorcised. I also realize that I need to make some lifestyle changes (like regular exercise) if I’m going to forever rid myself of back and neck pain.

Today my chiropractor asked me what some of my goals were for 2009. Whenever I can’t come up with anything quasi intelligent or meaningful I default to balance, although that is a pat and convenient response. There are a lot of things I’d like to accomplish this year which also happens to be THE YEAR I TURN 40 OH MY LORD. Lately I’ve had a lot of questioning along the lines of “What do I want to be when I grow up?” not to mention “Hey, I thought I was supposed to have it all together by 40, what the hell happened?”

Then she asked, “What does balance mean to you?” I thought for a second and told her I’d like to balance work and home life better. “Well what is one way you could accomplish that?” she asked. So I thought about it for a few seconds and said, “I’d like to stay off my computer more on the weekends and at night.”

Oh no I didn’t.

But yes I did.

“So why do you need to get on your computer at home at night? Do you just get bored and feel the need to go check your e-mail or something?” She asked if I felt like I needed to check work e-mail to make sure I wasn’t missing anything over the weekend. Clearly she was puzzled as to why anyone would log on to a computer from home outside of work.

And that’s when I realized I wasn’t even going to go into explaining the whole blogging thing because if you are completely unfamiliar with social media or even just at the base level, the desire to check your multiple e-mail accounts, then blogging would probably sound as crazy as “well I have all these little voices calling to me from the Internet and I must heed their call multiple times a day and have you heard of this thing called Twitter?”

1. EG says:

I’m sure my brain looks like tapioca pudding. Not only do we almost always have the TV on, but usually when we’re watching TV, one of us also has the laptop open. Because TV isn’t enough of a distraction.

EGs last blog post..Been Meaning to Tell You…

2. Amy says:

This is pretty funny. It’s true though – the voices call to you and you actually miss those people when you haven’t been on much. People who don’t do it think that sounds like all kids of crazy.

I think now that my husband has met some of my blog friends when we travel, it makes more sense to him that these can actually be real friendships, even though it’s people I’ve never met IRL.

3. kel says:

oh mah holy hell – escape the call of the computer?? Are you serious? I wish I could break the spell it has on me, but a few hours not engrossed in something extremely important not computer related is the ONLY thing that can keep me away while I’m feening…seriously!

If you figure it out…let me know! 🙂
    ~K

4. OHmommy says:

Oh man… I can so relate. I forget that people aren’t on the computer.

You know. I too get a tingly arm often. Seriously. I should look into a chiropractor. Perhaps I can find one on twitter, no?

OHmommys last blog post..Away from my desk

5. Bluegrass Mama says:

I started seeing a chiropractor around the same time. Luckily mine is not am amateur shrink on the side and does not question my addiction, er, affinity, for the computer.

Bluegrass Mamas last blog post..Testing Our Resolution

6. Liz@thisfullhouse says:

I attended the New Jersey Moms Blog launch party, recently. We arranged for neck and feet massages for the attendees. The woman placed two hands on my shoulders and actually hollered, “Holy crap!”

Yeah, I know.

7. Heather @ Not a DIY LIfe says:

I hate trying to explain blogging, tweeting, etc, to the uninitiated! When I get blanks looks, I revert to trying to explain what a blog is. Aaaaaaahhhhh!!!!

Yes, balance is a good thing. What I have decided is that blogging is my #1 hobby. So if someone spends 2 hrs/day on their hobby, then I can spend 2 hrs/day blogging. I don’t read books, I don’t do crafts. I blog. Therefore I am.

Heather @ Not a DIY LIfes last blog post..Like Old Friends

8. ilinap says:

Oh my, you are in my world! I turned 40 last year and have my laptop attached to me as another appendage. I am trying to stay off of it on the weekends, but wow is it hard! Twitter is killing. Facebook too. But I will tell you this, 40 is fantastic!

9. Jennilea6 says:

Wonderful title to the blog, dearie!

There needs to be some 12 Step Program for bloggers: Blog Anon?

In my head, someone is at a podium on a laptop typing “Hi. My name is Bob.” on a large projection screen.

The audience scrambles to SUBMIT “Hi, Bob!” to be the first to comment ….