Don’t Let The Flying Rubber Ducks Get You Down

Sleep deprivation makes you crazy, or in my case, crazier.

The girls pelted me with plastic bath toys last night after I asked them to get out of the bath for the umpteenth time and I grabbed Miss A and smacked her on the bottom after she refused to stop doing cannon balls in the tub. Miss C proceeded to curl up in a towel and glare at me like I was the worst mother on the planet. I kept replaying that situation in my mind, wondering what I could have done differently. Another mother, a better mother, would have handled that situation with much more patience and grace.

Today I want to forget all that and focus on the positive despite the distractions in life, like flying rubber ducks.

My mom got amazingly wonderful news from a lung specialist yesterday. Eight months ago a spot was found on her lungs and she was told she had pulmonary fibrosis, which typically only worsens. Yesterday the cat scan showed things had greatly improved from eight months ago and the specialist was not concerned.

The hubby ran by Publix after work to pick up a salmon filet so he could throw together a fabulous spinach salmon caesar salad despite working a full day and being exhausted after sleeping with a coughing 3-year-old all night.

Both the girls are back at daycare and school today.

My mother-in-law watched the girls all day yesterday. Thanks to our parents being close by we have paid for a babysitter ONCE in six years. Can I get an Amen?

My neighbor and boss have both given me nice hand me down clothing for the girls recently (and I’ve been able to pay it forward by sharing things with a co-worker with two little girls.)

Miss C was invited to spend the day at the zoo Tuesday with one of her best buddies from school. Of course she got car sick and threw up at the zoo, but she had a great time.

Our last soccer game is Saturday. It’s going to be a nice break to have just one extracurricular activity, dance, through the end of the year.

I’m seeing a chiropractor…no, no not like that…for the first time and I’m going to get my head on straight, literally.

I survived taking both girls to church by myself Sunday while the hubby assembled new office furniture. We’ve been using second hand, cheap office furniture at home for years so I had an organizationalgasm when he brought home a new desk, bookshelf, and printer table from Staples.

I have met some amazing people and done some great networking lately thanks to this silly old blog. I was treated to lunch recently by Jaeme Laczkowski (who had her adorable baby girl with her) from LeapFrog, thanks to Kim Moldofsky, whom I met at Johnson & Johnson’s Camp Baby. Kim also gave me advice about doing some social networking consulting.

Jennifer at Little Piddles gave me an Uber Amazing Blog Award this week.

Hey, what are you thankful for?

1. feener says:

ahhhh you made me smile….funny my last post had a last line of being thankful.

feeners last blog post..You know it is going to be a long day….

2. gina b says:

Your night sounds like mine, except it was the SHOWER they wouldn’t get out of. And yes, I am exceptionally blessed that 3-yr old and 5-yr old like the shower!

Sounds like your week was pretty good! I am thankful for being home with the kids (sort…of…) and having a few days off this week. Grateful for successful first week at my first professional writing gig. Grateful for living in an awesome community with EXCELLENT neighbors. Grateful hubby has good temp job til end of year, and good job prospects. Grateful thought that I have that job and work from home, and that kids still have health insurance.

gina bs last blog post..Stop.

3. ilinap says:

I am totally going to use the word organizationalgasm. Love it! I am thankful for my healthy kids facing a new world. I’m also thankful that I have the wherewithall to not slap them silly when they make me crazy (equal to your rubber duck moment).

4. killlashandra says:

I like the visual of rubber ducks being launched from the tub but probably not the mess it made. 😉 My little one has a dolphin that spits water and some days the words water stays in the tub feel like a mantra.

Good news about your Mom. That’s good to hear. 🙂

killlashandras last blog post..Theme Thursday – Imagination

5. Amy says:

Great news about your Mama~!!
    At this point I am thankful the day is about over…it has been a fire drill kind of day. WHEW!

6. Bluegrass Mama says:

Now that my daughter’s 13, it’s quite awhile since I smacked her on the bottom, but I’ll confess it happened more frequently than I’d have liked when she was little.

On the bright side, I just got back from MY first trip to a chiropractor, and am already looking forward to my next visit.

Bluegrass Mamas last blog post..Too Soon!

7. Jamie says:

Thanks for the kind words about my mom. It was a huge, huge relief after not knowing what to expect and a major blessing!

I’m glad to report there were no flying rubber ducks last night as we skipped a bath AND we all have gotten a decent night’s sleep. It’s amazing what actual sleep will do for you. 😉

8. Jill says:

Great news about your mom! Hooray! I wish we had parents (or any relative for that matter) close by. I hope you love the chiro. I’ve been going to one regularly since age 8 and I totally believe they make a big difference. Have a good weekend.

9. Kim/hormone-colored days says:

First off, great news about your mom. What a relief.

Thanks for the shout-out. I’m honored enought that you linked to me, but that fact that you did so in a post that also used the term organizationalgasm is just beyond. It’s beyond.

10. RazorFamilyFarms.com says:

I am new to your blog having found you by way of an interview that Chronicles of a SAHM did (that’s how I found her, too) and really enjoyed my stay here. You have a lovely breezy writing style that makes your posts a true joy to read.

Blessings!