Up All Night

I thought I’d give a post-day election report from the house where the Parents are Oh So Mother Effing Tired after a week that began Sunday with me having volcanic diarrhea and the hubby making a midnight run to Walgreens for cough medicine for Miss A. Last night the hubby slept in Miss A’s twin bed with her and she coughed on him all night long. I am back at work today after missing the last two days since I kind of need this 30 hour a week job thing.

This morning I told Miss A that it was a very exciting day.

“Miss A, today we have a new president and he’s the first black man to be president!”

We have a new present?

“A new president! Mr. Obama won and he’s our new president.”

But I wanted Mr. McCain to win. (Sticks out lower lip.)

“I know, I know…why did you want Mr. McCain to win? Does he look like a Papa to you?”

Yes. He looks like a Papa. (Sighs woefully.)

Mommy?

“Yes baby.”

I like you. You don’t smell like diarrhea any more.

That pretty much sums up the depth of the political conversation with my 3-year-old at 7 a.m.

Then I went in Miss C’s room to wake her up and tell her the election news. She’s home from school today sick, too, but with something else. We are an equal opportunity childhood illness household.

But mommy we had a black president a long time ago!

“No we’ve never had a black president. Mr. Obama is the first…do you mean George Washington?”

OK, ok I don’t know why the hell I said George Washington. I’m tired.

No mommy. George Washington was white and bald. This man was black and bald back a long time ago when I was in kindergarten!

Kindergarten…which would have been last year.

Then it dawned on me she was thinking of President Palmer from the show 24. Time to work on American History 101 with the first grader. And pray our family gets some sleep.

1. gina b says:

ROFL!!! Ok, that is funny.

Hm, 3 yr old doesn’t talk, but 5 yr old is coming home in one hour, what to tell her??? I made a big deal last night in our prayers about the election.

gina bs last blog post..Yes. We. Can.

2. Amy says:

My 6 year old is never going to talk to Obama because he didn’t vote for him! Love those school elections!

Amys last blog post..

3. rachel says:

Bwahahahahah Brilliant kids there darling.

Love those conversations, it always stumps me as to how to explain to the really young ones that TV is TV and it’s not real. But mom, they’re real people. But those aren’t real lives. But mom… and round and round we go.

Thanks Heather! I’m hoping we’re all back to normal by the weekend. Well as normal as we can be. 😉

5. Nicole Feliciano says:

Hilarious! I was up way too late out here in NYC watching the results. I’m still catching up. My 3 y.o. Likes saying Obama so she’s pleased with the result!

I’ve got a bunch of contests to share if you’ve got a minute to stop by my blog.

One for a $50 Paper Shouts certificate (perfect for the holidays)

One for an awesome art backpack (good for the girls) from Little Jet Set:

Have a great weekend!

Nicole Felicianos last blog post..Post Election Coupon Codes

6. Lisa says:

Pretty funny! You’ll be glad you have those responses recorded some day 🙂

Our house this week sounds like your house last week. Seriously? I’m ready to Lysol the whole joint & put a big “I QUIT” sign on the door!

7. Julia @ Hooked on Houses says:

Loved this story–made me laugh out loud.

My daughter announced that she voted for McCain in the student elections at school. Her reason? “They told us that he has lots of pets. He even has a BUNNY!”

She was mollified when Obama promised a puppy for his daughters, at least. 🙂

Julia @ Hooked on Housess last blog post..Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott