There’s Fashionably Late, And There’s Oh My God I Really Screwed Up Late

Welcome to my little episode of “When Moms Screw Up.” Please sit down and make yourself comfortable.

About two weeks ago Miss C got an invite for a party from a school friend she absolutely adores. I RSVPd promptly, wrote the time on my planner and blocked out the evening for the hubby on his calendar so he could have a “date” with Miss A. All along I had the time 6 p.m. in my mind, even though my mom commented that that seemed a little late for a kids’ party.

We left “early” and when we pulled into the skating rink parking lot I noticed Miss C’s friend’s mom out at her car and thought, “Cool…we’re here just in time. Not too early, not too late.”

When we walked in the teenager at the counter said they were closing in 15 minutes, but I assumed the rink had been rented out and we went in and scouted out the crowd. Miss C’s friend’s mom rushed over to say hi. “So glad you’re here…what happened? Did you get a ticket for skates? Do you want some cake?”

And then it dawned on me. The party was ENDING at 6 p.m.

Miss C asked me what was wrong and I explained to her I’d made a mistake on the time and we were late and then she started crying and the mom and I did the best we could to salvage a shitty moment. She brought Miss C a big piece of birthday cake and Miss C’s friend gave her the biggest hug in the world. I had to apologize and explain I had the time wrong on the hubby’s online calendar and never cross checked it with my planner.

The mom invited Miss C over one day soon for a playdate after school and I promised the girls we’d all go skating one weekend. Then Miss C and I met the hubby and Miss A at our local pizza parlor and we found that Miss C’s disappointment was nothing some pepperoni pizza and a shameful amount of quarters blown on air hockey and video games couldn’t make at least a little bit better.

1. Susan (Working Moms Against Guilt) says:

Man, I have totally done that. Only my kid is luckily too young to really pick up on it. Well, shit. Nobody’s perfect. Forgive yourself, and share that piece of cake with her!

Susan (Working Moms Against Guilt)s last blog post..Friday Finds – October 24, 2008

2. rachel says:

That is one of my big old fears!!! Glad y’all were able to bribe her out of it 🙂

rachels last blog post..Firemen and Football: Weekly Winners

3. Erin says:

oh poor miss C!! it happens but yeah, i’d feel really horrible if it were me!! it seems like you damaged controled it well though! I’ve misread times for appointments before too though. And I’ve also showed up an hour late due to forgetting to change my clock for daylight savings time! (Don’t forget to change your clock!!)

Erins last blog post..1963

4. Deb - Mom of 3 Girls says:

Oh that so totally sounds like something I would do. My latest was showing up ‘late’ for a 1:15 pm doctors appointment that turned out to be ‘early’ for what was really a 2:00 pm one. Sigh.

I hope that Miss C has recovered – I’m glad that she at least got to see her friend and have some cake. And play video games and air hockey, of course. 🙂

Abby would have a really hard time with this kind of thing too – I feel for you…

5. Melinda says:

If it makes you feel better…
    My mom has told me about several “mistakes” that she made as a parent, all of which she regrets. But I still turned out okay!

Well… I guess it’s debatable how well I turned out. 🙂

Melindas last blog post..subbing and sleep and stuff

6. Amy says:

Oh I know how that breaks your heart – to screw up and disappoint them like that. Been there.

I’m glad a little air hockey was available!

Amys last blog post..Tooths

7. Jennifer says:

It happens. If it makes you feel any better I had just realized the other day that I missed an apppiontment for myself for an x-ray that was for the end of September. I’m so used to being spoiled by drs. office’s calling to confirm and they didn’t this time. How I missed it is beyond me. That reminds me I need to reschedule…forgot again…lol!

Jennifers last blog post..Vote for Bookieboo