Power Plays And Pirouettes

Last week we entered unchartered territory known as more than one extracurricular activity. I know, I know. Some of you truly busy moms with more than two kids all signed up for sports and activities like Carmen or THE Busy Mom are laughing (between the two of them they have nine kids). I’m just trying to ease into this whole song and dance.

In addition to soccer (I can’t quite believe it’s her fifth season), Miss C is now taking an introduction to tap, ballet, and jazz dance class on Monday afternoons. I wasn’t planning on this, but after her summer ballet class she was channeling Angelina Ballerina and practically sleeping in her tutu and we’d already committed to fall soccer. I told her we’d try both this fall, but if it was too much she’d have to pick one activity in the spring.

As you can see, she is truly hating the dance thing and I have to drag her to class.

So far it’s going really well. Dance classes actually started in August, but I asked the studio owner if we could wait until after Labor Day to sign up, what with first grade starting and all. On Saturday Miss C made the only goal for her soccer team in a game against their long-time rival.

I told another mom last week at soccer practice that we were trying both soccer and dance this fall and she told me they did the same thing last year and quote, unquote, it “sucked.”

I’m just waiting for a shoe to drop, and I’m not sure if it will be a soccer cleat, a ballet slipper, or a tap shoe.

1. Rhea says:

We have lots of cleats in this household but no ballet slippers or tap shoes, darnit. Hope you can keep up the schedule! Both of my boys are in one sport each and it’s keeping us on our toes…

Rheas last blog post..Black Hockey Jesus

2. Busy Mom says:

It doesn’t have to suck, it’s all in how you look at it.

Oh, and way to go, Miss C!

Busy Moms last blog post..Heh

3. Deb - Mom of 3 Girls says:

We started this last year when Hannah added cheerleading to her soccer activity. Plus she does church choir. I think the worst part of all the activities is having to drag siblings to everything – and keep them amused while the activity’s going on. Last week I tried having a neighbor girl come over to watch the other two girls during both Abby’s and then Hannah’s soccer practices and I couldn’t believe the difference in my stress level. It’s not the cheapest alternative (although our neighbor is saving up for a school trip this fall, so we’ve been trying to hire her as much as possible anyway), but for the next 4 weeks it will definitely help me keep my sanity.

I think the other ‘saving grace’ at least for us – is that by the time cheer and choir start up, soccer will be winding down. There will only be a couple of weeks where everything overlaps. Phew! 🙂

4. Beth_C (A Mom's Life) says:

I get tired just thinking about two activities. My son is so grumpy when he gets home from school, I couldn’t imagine him being happy doing two activities.

Hopefully he will get used to this whole kindergarten thing before baseball starts up agin in the spring!

Beth_C (A Mom’s Life)s last blog post..My poor husband…

5. Leeanthro says:

My daughter is taking 2 dance classes this fall. It’s a bit much, but she loves it. I wanted to take a dance class myself, but I wasn’t sure I could fit it in.

It’s the parents who suffer from the over-scheduling!

Leeanthros last blog post..Huge Giveaway

Well my sanity saver is the fact that Miss A isn’t signed up for anything yet but she’ll turn 4 in March and when Miss C was 4 she started soccer. I just can’t tell yet which one she’ll be interested in. The good thing about soccer, too, is that we have a bye week and then it’s over by mid-November, whereas dance continues on into early December.

I do take Miss A to soccer practice on Tuesdays because she can run and play outside, but on dance days I pick her up at daycare after class. I know she’d want to go in and take over big sister’s dance class otherwise. 😉

7. Traci says:

Heh. I have both girls doing dance this year (on seperate days, of course! It adds to the fun!)and that coupled with second grade homework is about to kill me.

8. Jamie says:

Seriously what is up with the homework? I was a 70s kid, and I don’t remember any homework in kindergarten or first grade. Everything was very heavy on the Sesame Street.

9. Amy says:

Cute picture!

I remember my daughter wanting to sign up for every possible thing at school and also being over-involved at The Nashville Ballet. Ugh.

Shark has done cross country and soccer, but not at the same time. We’re considering Cub Scouts and cross country simultaneously now – but I’m scared.

Amys last blog post..Burn After Reading