The Break Up

You know how you get into a comfortable relationship with your hairdresser, but then one day they don’t give your bangs the loving attention they once did or they just flat out change salons 30 miles away? You start asking your friends for suggestions for The One. The one hair stylist you and your hair will click with. It’s a delicate situation because if you don’t like their scissor wielding skills or chatting with them while in their chair, then you must come crawling back to your usual stylist. And they’ll know you’ve been cheating on them.

Or maybe that’s just me.

For years during college and following graduation I saw the same hairdresser my older sister went to. I loved her. She knew my hair and my hair knew her. She did my updo for my wedding. She finally opened her own salon. It was actually in my hometown, so it wasn’t too inconvenient to drive 30 plus miles to see her for a cut and highlights. But then the logistics of it became really inconvenient once I had Miss C. Motherhood and all of its life requirements put a cramp my driving to another county to get highlights free-wheeling lifestyle. About five years ago I settled on a new hairdresser at a salon near my house. She was young and building her client base. I was cheap and not wanting to pay a senior stylist fee. She did a great job on my hair. It was a perfect match. I didn’t have that girlfriend type closeness with her, but when I walked out of the salon I had a great cut and highlights. That was just what I needed from our relationship.

Last month, unexpectedly, I got a call the night before my scheduled hair cut and highlights from the salon receptionist saying my hair stylist left the salon unexpectedly. I saw a new stylist at my salon (who did a great job, I might add) last week and asked about my old hairdresser. She told me she and her uncle opened a salon on the other side of town, the other side of town being the urban, hip, edgy part of Nashville. In other words the new place is not within my range of travel for work or home or the girls’ schools, so I probably wouldn’t even consider driving there, but what really killed me is she didn’t even call me to let me know she’d opened a salon.

Beotch broke up with me.

But that’s OK. I’m not bitter or anything. I guess I’m just used to doing the breaking up.

1. Jill says:

Oh, I am so with you. I get my hair cut and colored at two different places and don’t think that isn’t a nightmare to keep up with. My color guy has changed locations three times this year. He isn’t even that good, but I don’t have it in my to find someone new.

Jills last blog post..Doubly Good Week Giveaway Winners

2. rachel says:

Bummer.
    I’ve never had a ‘steady’ hairdresser. I’ll visit one, love the cut when I leave and then get home and I can’t duplicate it to save my life. I’m in a sad cycle.
    Plus, I have crazy/thick/wavy/straight/coarse/silky/funky hair. Every stylist says: “Wow, you have such thick hair”

No kidding. I just told you that. 🙁

rachels last blog post..Mouthwatering Monday: Spinach and Garlic Stir Fry

3. Jennifer says:

Ah, but there is the possibility that she agreed with the owner not to let her clients know where she was going. That way, chances are good her existing client

4. The Mrs. M says:

I had a hairdresser I LOVED and when she moved to a different location of the same chain she called me. Then I had a friend (outofstate) who became a hairdresser and I just started scheduling with her when I went to visit family. Plus my Pappy paid for it so it worked out great. Met another girl thru church (locally) and use her now when I have to go (and pay myself dangit!!). So I guess I did break up with first hairstylist. I had that girlfriend rapport with her for a while but hadn’t been feeling it toward the end. Guess it fizzeled out.

Ok but about YOU—I have a friend in your town that just opened a Salon on the hip side of town. Wonder if it is the same person??

The Mrs. Ms last blog post..Careful on the Big News

5. Bridgett says:

Dentists and hairstylists both fit into this category for me. I can go to a different doctor or shop around for other services, but those two seem to make me, as you put it, slink back to them all guilty.

My hairstylist was chosen because she could handle my one sister’s Superman-black thick luxurious pantene commercial hair and my other sister’s funky kinky uneven mouse brown job with the same finesse and make them both amazing. Been with her for 4 years.

she told me a few appointments ago that she’s not even allowed to have my phone number to call to cancel or reschedule (the receptionist does that) because she might steal clients if she leaves. Maybe that’s what happened with your girl?

Bridgetts last blog post..Photo Friday: Beauty

I think (I know) she would have called her clients if she could. But it was awkward to get a call that she had just left. And good Lord once you find THE stylist it’s so tough to find another one. Thankfully the new chick did a great job. Whew.

Mrs. M:

I e-mailed you because basically Nashville is just a big small town and I BET you do know her. She’s a sweetie. Maybe I shouldn’t have called her a beotch on the Internet (hey it’s all in good fun.) I meant it in a good way.

Yeah. 😉

7. Loralee says:

The stylist of my dreams is an hour and a half away, dammit.

So, I have a primary one where I live, but I totally confess to cheating on her a lot. (I’m a bad, bad girl)

Loralees last blog post..Beef. It

8. Erin says:

ooh. I’ve been seeing the same girl for three years. She’s moved around but we are pretty dedicated. I think my husband is terrified of losing her because she knows how to cut his hair in a way that covers a bald spot in the back. I feel your pain. I don’t know what we’d do if she skipped town. (supercuts? i shudder…) I’ve wondered if we should find someone else cheaper but I’m a bit afraid of breaking up with her. I don’t know if I could find anyone as good.

Erins last blog post..Bear Meat.

I once went to Great Clips right after I had had Miss C and just needed a trim. BIG MISTAKE!

I probably pay more that I should for a cut and highlights but dammit it’s the one thing I do for myself that’s a treat. I don’t do any manicures or pedicures or any of that business.

10. EG says:

I just cheated and I’m not sure what to do. See, I went to a hairdresser that is where I travel for work. So I can’t just stick with that one forever – she’s impractical. So I’m going to either have to confess my infidelity to my girl in town, or switch to a completely new salon in town. But it’s a small town.

Which reminds me, do you ever run into your hairdresser when you’ve clearly made no effort with your ‘do and feel guilty?

EGs last blog post..Shoes

11. Lisa says:

I’ve recently been thinking about “breaking up” with my girl. Not that she’s bad, but the conversation is always tough….and I have a friend who has similar hair who made the switch to someone else & it loving it. Oh, the troubles of being a woman!

Lisas last blog post..August Awards

12. Amy says:

LOL that is a funny one. My hair dresser already told me she had my number in case she leaves so she can let me know. Well, after I asked her to make sure she did!

13. Laurin says:

My stylist is my friend and I don’t really like how she cuts and colors my hair. This is tough because I would hate to hurt her feelings and don’t know what to do! I have cheated on her and say I got a gift certificate or make up something else.

I like to be upfront and honest but I can’t stand the thought of offending a friend. It’s her business, ya know.

Laurins last blog post..Supreme Wavy Head

14. Karanastasis says:

That’s just awful. I don’t understand why she didn’t at least call you. Even if she’s not a nice person, I would imagine she would call because she needs customers. So, I guess she’s not only not very nice, she’s also not very smart. 😉