The Trophy Couch

This weekend I was looking at Craigslist and for the first time ever noticed there was a free section. Always up for a bargain, I clicked over, not sure what I’d find.

The following is an actual ad (no, you can’t make this stuff up):

I hate to part with this couch, but my wife is making me get rid of it. It’s a real *love* seat if you know what I mean! New owners may want to invest in a slip cover. Pick up only.

Here’s the photograph that ran with the ad. Frat house funk decor is not a good thing to force upon your new wife.

I wonder if he had any takers?

We bought a used sleeper sofa six or seven years ago for our downstairs bonus slash rec slash play slash dog slash place to put hubby’s sports collectibles room, but it was from a single girl in our neighborhood and it looked brand new. Of course it doesn’t hurt to buy a slipcover for any used upholstered furniture you bring into your home in case it’s harboring some microscopic juju you don’t want oozing into your bowl of popcorn.

Speaking of bargains, my Monday working mom post at Blissfully Domestic is about 10 Ways Working Moms Can Save Money. And no I don’t get all freaky Tightwad Gazette on your bootay and suggest weird things like recycling your paper clips into ankle bracelets or anything impractical like that. I love to save money, but if you ration your toilet paper or rinse off your aluminum foil you’ll lose me.

So what’s the weirdest piece of furniture or object you inherited when you got married? My hubby moved in with an actual wood gate from a restaurant/bar being torn down called Shipwreck Mary’s in Jacksonville Beach. Island Grill was built in its place, and we just found out it’s gone, too (I’m thinking condos are there now.)

Updated to add: It’s still available, apparently!

1. Marsha says:

At least the couch advertiser was honest, in most cases you have no idea what you are getting. Ewww! I think the weirdest thing I inherited when we got married was a football shaped coffee table painted orange and blue to represent the colors of the University of Virginia. It was homemade and pretty ugly.

Marshas last blog post..Spike’s Pickleball Paddles

2. mayberry says:

This reminds me of the wagon-wheel coffee table scene in When Harry Met Sally!

My husband has one of those static-electricity globes where you put your hands on it to see sparks (or you can synchronize it with music for a truly psychedelic experience).

mayberrys last blog post..It’s just a jump to the left

3. Bluegrass Mama says:

My husband’s first wife was an interior decorator, so I spent the first few years of our marriage slowly getting rid of some fairly odd art pieces and furniture I knew she’d picked out.

Bluegrass Mamas last blog post..Mystery Solved

4. Richie Ann says:

My husband had a sheep’s brain in a jar. I kid you NOT! Needless to say, it is still stashed in some storage shed.

5. Cassie says:

My husband brought his hand chair. You know, black, retro, bachelor-pad type, uncomfortable chair in the shape of a hand, complete with cup holder in the thumb. I actually tried to leave it behind when we moved but his parents MADE me take it. They didn’t want it around anymore either!

Cassies last blog post..A country song…

6. Coma Girl says:

Well it’s not furniture, but my husband owned a vending machine and an ice machine.

The company he works for does liquidations and I am guessing they were left over and he thought “what house isn’t complete without a vending machine and an ice machine?”

The ice machine seems like a good idea for parties, but it was huge and never worked. I think he’s still hoping that I will let him put the vending machine next to the couch in the den.

Coma Girls last blog post..Corned Beef with Broccoli?

7. mamatulip says:

Oh my GAWD, that ad about the couch totally cracked me up.

When Dave and I got married, it was him that did the inheriting, since I had just inherited my mother’s estate. He got saddled with a lot of weird stuff, as my mom was a total packrat/collector.

8. Loralee says:

OMG, that is HILARIOUS.

I think that the weirdest thing my husband brought into our marriage was the fact that he, as a bachelor, had about 12 full-size American flags. Apparently, every flag flying holiday he couldn’t find his flag and just bought a new one. All were found when we moved in after the wedding.

:S

9. Mrs. Schmitty says:

Mr. Schmitty’s uncle was getting rid of his living room furniture. We had just moved into our house so we jumped on it. We figured we could put it in the family room. I forgot how ugly it was until hubs pulled up in front of the house with it. I was this HUGE furniture that you couldn’t even find a slipcover for. It was brown and orange….PAISLEY print.

Mrs. Schmittys last blog post..What Will Their Future Hold?

10. heather says:

EWWWWWWW!

Hubby didn’t have much furniture when we married – his bachelor roommates owned most of the stuff in their place. However, we joke that I came with a dowery – plenty of nice furniture to fill our first love nest!

heathers last blog post..Baby Signing – How To

11. Filtering Life says:

THAT IS DISGUSTING!!!! I am so glad there is not a black light around to show ALL the stains. Before my husband and I got married he lived with his bro and they had tons of used furniture WITHOUT slip covers…one couch smelled like rotten feet, I called it the “cheese couch”. It DID NOT come with us when we got married…gag!

12. Rebecca says:

Oh the thoughts that come to mind, from that advertisement. Eww!! The furniture in our first apartment was all hand-me-downs from relatives. Even at that, while appreciated… it was quickly replaced with new. 🙂

13. Mof2 says:

I wouldn’t go near that couch with a ten foot pole! No way! I can’t believe that was being given away, I think it should been put out on the side of the road!!

14. Kathy@brazoscowgirl says:

Hubby was a best man at what seemed like 100s of weddings. Being in a German/Czech community he brought with him boxes and boxes of beer steins. The fancy groomsmen kind too pretty too break and too large to find room for. I think they are in a barn somewhere.

15. DawnK says:

I love Craigslist and sincerely think I am a CL addict.

I think the weirdest thing I inherited when we got married wasn’t so much furniture as I was marrying a starving photographer/artist/photojournlist with a houseful of very used, free furniture and 47 really nice cameras.

The weirdest thing I think was the collection of bicycles. He has raced since he was a kid, BMX, mountain bike, road bike, you name it. I think he had every one he ever road and all the trophies that went with them. They have slowly disappeared in the back of our shed…if you know what I mean!

DawnKs last blog post..A Day at the Races

16. bicycle cup holder says:

It is a polished stainless steel cup for holding beverages with a high quality foam liner that keeps drinks cool or warm. It has a metal attachment for gripping bicycle handlebars, with full stainless steel hardware to ensure maximum durability. Unlike other recreational drink holders, the KROOZIE? has no-slip rubber traction pads, so losing your drink on the road won\’t be an issue. In addition to all that, NO TOOLS REQUIRED for installation on a bicycle.

17. Esther - Bike Trailers Depot says:

That couch definitely looked pretty worn! But I guess for people who are really financially strapped, it’s a good deal on it’s own. You probably need more (eg, perhaps some coach cleaning & disinfecting) than just a slip over cover though…

18. Pine Wardrobe says:

It reminds me of a large pine wardrobe which was very difficult for us to set it in our small space. I requested my husband to get rid of it and get a smaller one but he was so fond of that wooden piece that he would change the house but not that large pine wardrobe.

19. Tracey says:

I moved into my husband’s house when we got married….the house he shared with his first wife (UGH I know!!). She took basically everything, which was fine with me, but what she left behind was less “changeable” than furniture. Paint. She LOVED to paint every room a different color, and she had absolutely no sense of design or style. I never bash her, but these walls were so hideous that everyone who walked into the house would literally cringe before saying “wow, colorful…..interesting…”. These colors must have been custom blended, because they don’t belong on a wall, or a paint chip for that matter. The kitchen was yellow. Yellow kitchens were pretty popular a few years ago, but I’m not talking “pale butter” or “soft chiffon”. The kitchen was the color of a French’s mustard bottle. Not dijon- the bright regular mustard bottle.
    The kitchen and living room are one large open space, but I guess she wanted to separate the space so she painted it a muted maroon. Almost like a can of dark maroon paint and a can of mauve paint were mixed together. Luckily she thought to separate the colors by gluing a piece of moulding vertically in the middle of the wall. How would someone even think of something so ridiculous? The main level looked like some serious Redskins fans lived there (and we live in the DC area, so it truly looked like that!)
    The PEACOCK wallpaper in the dining room extended through the entryway, up the stairs, and throughout the upstairs hallway. One bedroom was puke-ish peach, one was that bright yellow-but this time it was sponge painted over old wallpaper… Another room was like a 1980’s contemporary “modern” muted green that you might find in splattered alongside mauve and country blue. I can’t remember the other bedroom, but I’m sure it was hideous too. Master bathroom was stuccoed peach, and she had the foresight to paint the plumbing on the toilet….because that makes sense, right? Still have that permanent stucco, but now it’s white. Guest bathroom was peach too. I guess there was a special on muted ugly colors from 1987 at the paint store….
    I love your blog by the way! I just found it and as a blond mom myself, I can SO relate to you! Keep up the great work, you’re awesome!