A Very Girly Independence Day

Yesterday afternoon a red sheet of construction paper was posted outside Miss A’s daycare classroom.

Ah yes. The party sign-up sheet. Her class is having a July 4th celebration this Thursday, since daycare is closed for the holiday.

Rule #23.B of parenting dictates that you must sign up for school parties as soon as the sheet is posted or you will be the unlucky person who must bring crustless sandwiches or dessert of some sort (bearing in mind the various food allergies of your child’s classmates, most notably peanut butter). Sign up early for the easy items, such as juice or napkins, is my advice. Basically anything that can be procured when you’re filling up at the gas station at 9 p.m. on a weeknight is ideal party sign-up sheet fodder. Just steer clear of the beef jerky. I hear it doesn’t have much of a shelf life. Also, scratch off lotto tickets do not make good last minute party favors.

Horror of horrors, I realized the sheet must have been posted last Friday when Miss A was home with me for the day because ALL the slots were full except for two. I braced myself and read the sheet. Cookie or sandwiches. OK, cookies it was.

On the way home I told Miss A she was having a party. She didn’t really understand that it’s a “birthday” party of sorts for America, but was clearly excited about bringing cookies.

I asked her if she wanted me to bring cookies with red, white, and blue sprinkles and she voiced her opinion:

“Mommy I want cookies with pink and purple sprinkles!”

Happy Birthday America. You’ve had your colors done by a 3-year-old and she’s giving you the princess treatment.

1. Sunshine says:

I had to take snack to preschool one time when Sammie was in during Homecoming week. She wanted me to make sugar cookies in the shape of tiger paws. And then frost them and put “tigers” on them. The school colors are orange and black. Well, we ended up having to make several pink tiger paws because orange and black wasn’t “pretty”.
    Whatever works…good thing I can frost.

Sunshines last blog post..Why I Relay – With Video!

2. Jennilu says:

Yes, and I found the flag I am sure she would choose. I just couldn’t figure out how to attach it to my comment. It’s all pink and purple and FABULOUS! Have a happy 4th!

3. Deb - Mom of 3 Girls says:

During Hannah’s last year of preschool, her daycare provider walked her over and back, so I never was there to even see, much less fill out, the sign-ups for parties. I somehow always seemed to see them once everything was full. Not that I’m complaining, but I always felt badly about it.

I don’t think America will care what color the cookies are – or the kids either. 🙂

4. Mof2 says:

Just wait until they are old enough to volunteer you with bringing something. When Kayla was in 2nd grade she told her teacher that her mom would bring cupcakes, so a letter was sent to me to bring them! I told her don’t ever volunteer me that I would always bring something…But I didn’t tell her it was always the bag of chips or drinks that I would bring! : )

5. Louise says:

Unfortunately, my daughter has to get whatever cookies or cupcakes Sam’s Club has for sale since I am a horrible baker.

P.S. I love the picture of your daughter in your header!

Louises last blog post..Charleston Grill Shrimp and Grits

Well Kroger has Pillsbury ready to bake sugar cookies on sale so that’s probably what I’ll be “baking” from “scratch” tonight. 😉

Not sure the sprinkles will happen!

7. Amy@UWM says:

Adorable. When my daughter was three, she also learned that the 4th was America’s birthday. Except she was very mad that no one sang for America. I’ll never forget singing Happy Birthday to America while we were driving in the car running errands to appease her.

Amy@UWMs last blog post..It’s Up to Us

8. mmm...jerky says:

I’m here to defend the honor of beef jerky! How dare you accuse my precious meat of not keeping 🙂 Your writing style is great, very personal.

Tell the other kids that when they first celebrated 4th of July, a founding father made red, white, and blue cookies but they got caught in the rain, making them purple and pink. You’re just upholding the tradition.

mmm…jerkys last blog post..World Kitchens Teriyaki