Study Finds Ringing Phone Renders Normally Sweet Girls Temporarily Insane

dsc05494.JPG

The post-school playtime when the girls sit down and play peacefully together for a few minutes almost makes up for the 10 minutes they go temporarily insane when the phone rings and I attempt to have an adult conversation while being pummeled with requests for juice as if they will surely die of thirst and refereeing their cat fights with the silent mouthing of threats and finger pointing.

Of course when I hang up the phone they get along perfectly again. They aren’t biased against just me, though. The hubby gets the same royal treatment whenever he attempts to talk to a client on the phone from home. The dogs also seem to be adversely affected by my talking on the phone, especially if I am on the phone with my boss. Bailey swiped Miss A’s peanut butter and jelly sandwich off the coffee table the other day while I was talking to my boss and it was lunch time Armageddon.

Yesterday was finally one of those glorious early spring days where the girls did nothing but run around in the back yard and play after school and get their new matching pink sandals good and dirty. We all went for a long walk after dinner. Actually the girls “flew” the entire mile, pretending to be baby birds as we have a mama dove on a nest up in the eaves of our house and they are quite enamored with her. The TV sat, cold, silent, and lonely. They had a big bubble bath and went to bed smelling sweet.

Today Miss C woke up with a 100 degree fever.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

p.s. Can kids get strep twice? I honestly don’t think Miss C has strep again since she has a low-grade fever, but she says her throat is sore. As my mom wisely surmised this morning, she didn’t really rest much during Spring Break but we did cancel our trip to Atlanta last Monday so we could stick close to home all week and once her fever broke she was up and running, literally.

1. mamatulip says:

The title of this post totally cracked me up. It’s the same around here.

Hope Miss C is feeling better soon. Sickies begone!

mamatulip’s last blog post..BFF

2. Deb - Mom of 3 Girls says:

LOL, loved this post – definitely is true around our house too. And I have to say that many of the toys in the photo look familiar… 🙂

Yep, I got strep all the time as a kid too – I hope she’s feeling better soon!

Deb – Mom of 3 Girls’s last blog post..It

3. Amy says:

I often have phone conversations in the bathroom for the very same reasons, kids and dogs. Unfortunately mine don’t seem to stop when I hang up. 🙁 And we have done the park a couple of times this week, love Spring!

4. Nohell says:

Off topic here: But are y’all following the Hilltoppers in the NCAA tournament? I’ve been excited about it. No one is giving them a chance against UCLA tonight but I haven’t given up hope.

5. Jennifer says:

Ah yes my girls do the same to me when I’m on the phone. I try to walk inthe other room and of course they like to follow. I hope she fels betters oon. Both my girls are congested and now Miss K has low grade fever, soar throat, cough, and cills. It has been a glorious spring break.

6. heather says:

My nieces have both had strep this winter – one had it 3 times and the other has had it twice. And the last time for each was just as they were coming off the antibiotics from the previous episode. Those two are sicker than any school age children I know!

Luckily, we’re healthy!

heather’s last blog post..Thankful Thursday

7. Amy says:

I was one of those kids with chronic strep too. Yuck! Hope she feels better soon.

My kids also do that too. I had a call today and the lady was like, “If this is a bad time…” Nope! This is all the time. Like, 100% of the time so just shout 🙂

8. Loralee says:

As you already know, it is possible to get strep repeatedly. UG. It is the WORST.

I’m soooooo sorry!

Loralee’s last blog post..Sideblog: Have you ever ?Tagged? me on your blog?

9. pauline lupercio says:

Uggh! I just wrote a whole comment and then lost it!
    So much for an eloquent introduction.
    Anyway-I’m new to the mommy blogosphere but wanted to stop in and say I love your blog.
    And I firmly believe babies and kids are psychic. My 9 1/2 month old can be sleeping peacefully or playing happily while I do nothing, talk to my mom, or even do the dishes. But if the phone rings for work, all hell breaks loose.
    Go figure.

pauline lupercio’s last blog post..It’s getting hot in here…