Taking Bag Lady to a New Level

With Miss A now potty trained except for Pull Ups at night (cue the choir of angels singing over a gleaming potty in a meadow of daisies), and my black and multicolor striped purse slash glorified diaper bag with the cute black beaded fringe going on its fifth summer, I have been engaged in the Cute Summer Purse Hunt of 2008.

Since I tend to carry the same bag for years and I gravitate toward some sort of exciting variation of solid black or brown, I’ve been looking at some preppy mama bags in fun colors just to liven things up a bit.

On Monday we took the girls out to lunch at the Rainforest Cafe and to see a matinee of Horton Hears a Who (which I highly recommend) to kick off Spring Break: Miss C Bounces Back From Strep Throat Edition. The geniuses behind Off Broadway Shoe positioned a store directly across from the restaurant in an effort to entrap mothers far and wide. Since I hadn’t been in one in a couple of years, it was all I could do to not sneak over under the guise of going to the ladies room. As soon as we paid our bill, I asked the hubby if he would get lost with the girls for a few minutes while I browsed in Off Broadway. I headed to the clearance section and miffed that I couldn’t find a cute pair of shoes on clearance for less than $40 (a criminal offense in my retail Zen utopia), I wandered over to the purses.

There she hung, trimmed in my favorite spring color, a very saucy apple green. This was a purse for summer evenings sitting outdoors, sipping margaritas, and listening to live jazz or maybe some reggae. This was not a purse for diapers, unscented wipes, and butt ointment.

purse.jpg

I bought the purse even though my old boring purses may talk about how slutty she is behind her back. My standard summer outfit consists of denim Old Navy capris I bought on clearance or khaki GAP shorts with a black short sleeve t-shirt and black sandals, so I figured this would spice things up. If nothing else, the hubby will be able to spot me from a mile away the next time I get “lost” on purpose in Target. Then again I could always hide in a dressing room and turn off my cell phone. Sometimes I just need a little peace and quiet people!

I’ve found many cute purses during Cute Summer Purse Hunt of 2008, so I thought I’d share some of my finds:

These hobo style purses with matching makeup bags are from Swoozies in Atlanta (I wasn’t familiar with them, but I quickly signed up for their e-newsletter):

swoozies.jpg

Pink Monogram’s cute tote is reversible (I love the green.):

4773_small.jpg

I also like Pink Monogram’s classic little black monogrammed purse for just $25:

This fun pink monogrammed straw bag from Morgan & Co. is definitely more than $25, but I won’t hold that against it:

maryann-pink-240.jpg

Happy shopping in honor of me ditching ye ole diaper bag.

p.s. What kind of purse do you carry? Are you a faithful, carry it until it is falling apart type bag lady like me or are you one of those must have a coordinating bag with every out fit bag divas?

1. Loralee says:

I usually get one bag a season and make it something that goes with everything.

Loralee’s last blog post..Sideblog: Nielsen Homescan Panel?

2. Amy says:

For the last couple of trips to Disneyland I have bought a purse there as my souvenir. But my latest was wearing faster than I wanted so I purchased a small, bright $7 clearance purse from WalMart. It is very small and I am having a hard time but I am not loosing stuff in it! That is a very cute purse! And Rainforest Cafe is so nummy! Too bad the closest one to us is 2.5 hours away. 🙁

3. rachel says:

I’m not even a purse person and I’m drooling over that. It is so super cute! Your summer garb sounds oddly similar to mine 🙂

rachel’s last blog post..Wordless Wednesday: Aquarium Style and a First Crush to boot

4. Deb - Mom of 3 Girls says:

Ooh, that’s a very cute bag!

I currently carry a very utilitarian brown vinyl backpack purse that holds a ton of stuff. I do tend to get bored with purses fairly often so I’ve been feeling the need to change things up a bit lately. It drives my hubby crazy when I replace a ‘perfectly good’ purse! 🙂

Deb – Mom of 3 Girls’s last blog post..What do I do all day?

5. Mrs. Schmitty says:

Ooohhh…I love that purse! I usually get boring purses too…though I’ve graduated from black and brown to an orangey (my favorite color of late) color. I’m going to take your enthusiasm and get me a spicey purse for spring too…Target, here I come!

Mrs. Schmitty’s last blog post..A Special Ingredient?

I bought a big hobo style canvas khaki purse at Target last year on clearance. I think it was a whopping $7. I know it was less than $10. It has a cute multicolor stripe fabric on the inside.

I feel very decadent suddenly realizing I no longer have to carry baby bottom supplies with me all the time!

7. Jennifer says:

Love your new purse, very cute! Up until last year I used to only use a solid black or dsolid brown purse. Never was much of a purse girl as far as style was concerned. Now I love getting stripes and funky patterns. I don’t switch everyday, but every couple of months. Gotta spread equal love to all my purses:)

Jennifer’s last blog post..My Favorite Things

8. Mackmomma24 says:

I usually stay true to my one amazing bag. I’m picky about purses so if I find one I like I don’t usually change it. I’ve been carrying this one since Christmas. I LOVELOVELOVE your new one though. I think you just sent me into shopping mode!

9. Jill says:

I change my purse nearly every day. I own many, many purses. I now boycott Coach purses because you see them coming and going where I live, usually carried by a 16 year old. Aack! I get a new straw-type bag every summer (Target had some great ones a few weeks ago that sold like hot cakes) and a Cole Haan bag every year for Christmas (I pick it, hubby buys it).

Jill’s last blog post..Work….Ho-Hum

10. heather says:

Way too cute!!

I had one purse for 10+ years. Then I started hanging out with a certain group of ladies, and I FELL.IN.LOVE with purses and handbags. However, with the little one, I usually carry a tote bad of some sort so that I don’t have a diaper bad AND a purse. However, I have a special new purse for when Mommy gets to go places alone. I only get to use it about once/week, but I LOVE not carry a big tote.

heather’s last blog post..Welcome to My Blog!

nice new purse! It is very beachy sunny day perfect. I have a small black leather backpack purse that I wore out until getting my first and only Coach brown sueded deal a few years ago. It is stained and getting worn out to (it already is saddlebag shaped) and since it cost more money than it should have I imagine I’ll wear it forever.

Anne’s last blog post..Meme tag

12. Charla says:

I am a purse ‘ho. I admit it. Currently I am carrying my black Matt & Nat purse from Fall ’06 because I spilled a cappuccino IN my brown monogrammed tote that I have been carrying this winter. (Trust me – it was an awful experience!)
    I am on the hunt for a new one for spring/summer too. I have thought about going back to one of the 2 I got for my birthday last year, but I really want a new one!

And, did you know that there is a Swoozie’s just outside of Memphis, in the Collierville area? It’s a GREAT little store!

13. Kara in Kansas says:

This is one area where I am an absolute snob. I will spend a fortune on a great purse. I will also carry it for years. I found Brighton bags can stand up to whatever I dish out (a lot, w/ 7yr old twins!)and still look good. I’ve been carrying my first Brighton for 8yrs and it still is in darn good shape.

I recently got a Monsac, I was leery at first, but it holding up beautifully.

14. Stephanie says:

I love the look of the reversible pink and green ones, and yes my favorite color is
    green so I am definently favoring the green bag. But I have found that in all my purse years the worst thing to get is a reversible one because the inside gets dirty quickly thus making it impossible to show off the cute insides.

Stephanies last blog post..Helpful Information Regarding Handbags

15. Stephanie says:

But then again I would surely go for the black and pink monogrammed purse. That is so pretty and also great for hiding that dinginess that seems to come on strong and quick. My best purses that have lasted the longest are black or at least some kind of a darker
    shade or color if you will.

16. alice says:

women who have enough confidence are simple beautiful ! gorgeous are not just gorgeous but have their own taste as fashion, bag. the most popular bags will not neccessarily fit you but just choose what you reall like . that’s so important. everyone has her own distinc personality.

17. Vera Bradley says:

That reversible tote is so cute. I love it. And if you just feel like getting a different look with a different color you can turn it inside out. Very sweet. I love Vera Bradley purses too. It’s sort of an addiction I think.