Well What Do You Know, I’m A Domestic Diva

I’m really excited to let ya’ll know I’ve joined the team of Domestic Divas at Blissfully Domestic, a wonderful website for everything you need to know to make family life easier. It was founded by the equally wonderful Alli (aka Fabulous Mommy Fusspants.) There many great bloggers hanging out there that you probably already read including Mrs. Flinger, The Nester, PHAT Mommy, Jennifer from Just Chicken Feed, Meredith, Karla (who designed the site), Amy from Mom Advice, and Domestic Chicky.

blissfully_domestic_buttons_1.jpg

I’ll be writing about issues related to working moms. I’ve tried just about every type of schedule there is, although I am still waiting for that job that pays me to blog from the beach. I returned to the office full days when Miss C was just 13 weeks old, but after I had Miss A in 2005 I worked completely from home until she was 10 1/2 months old started to go stir crazy and talk to our two sole houseplants. Last year I adjusted my schedule once again because Miss C would be starting kindergarten and I knew in my heart I did not want to put her in after-school care. I now work 32 hours a week, but I split my time between the office in the mornings and home in the afternoons. This seems to be the perfect working mom schedule for me. Sometimes I feel like I don’t quite fit under the typical “working mom” umbrella though, because I have such a flexible work arrangement.

I would love to know what you working moms want to discuss. Per usual me, I have a ton of ideas bouncing around in my brain:

1. Why Moms Choose to Work (It’s Not All About Money)
  2. Streamlining the Morning Routine
  3. Challenges of Working from Home
  4. What to do When Your Child is Sick, and You Have to Work
  5. Summer Options for School-Age Kids
  6. Setting up a Home Office
  7. Flex Time
  8. Working from Home Without Falling off Management’s Radar
  9. Resources on the Web for Working Moms
  10. Working Mom Fashion Mojo
  11. Drinking on the Job (Just kidding…wanting to make sure you’re still reading.)

I’ll be posting once a week or so at Blissfully Domestic and I hope my posts will serve as a place to bounce ideas around, vent, and just share information. Let me know in the comments what you would like to read about. Are you a working mom? Do you work part-time or full-time? Do you telecommute? My first post is up and you won’t want to miss it if you’re in the process of choosing a daycare.

1. Mrs.M says:

Yea this is exciting! I’m going over to check it out right now and add it to my feed.

By the way–I’d love to get hooked up with a job like yours!

2. Rhoda says:

Hi, Jamie, so nice to meet you. Thanks for stopping by. I am a member at Blissfully Domestic too, so I’m sure I’ll be seeing you over there, although I’m not a working mom (or mom at all), there are lots of topics to jump in on. Fun site!

Of course I’ll share my paint color with you. The lime green color is called Grasscloth by Behr & you can get it at Home Depot.

Hope you’ll come back & visit again!

Rhoda

Rhoda’s last blog post..Tweaking my Office Nook

3. Jennilu says:

I am wanting to go back to work Part-Time, only during school hours, but haven’t quite figured out a do-able childcare arrangement for when my daughter has random days off and holidays. Any suggestions would be great.

P.S. I love your Blog. You always make me smile!

Jennilu’s last blog post..Another Quick and Easy Recipe

Jennilu:

For us we are very fortunate because my mom and dad (although divorced) live within 10 miles of us and my inlaws only live about 40 minutes away. They are great as backup babysitters and love to watch the girls. When my girls are sick (like yesterday…Miss A spiked a fever) I usually work from home or just take a sick day because they really just want to be with mama when they aren’t feeling well.

It’s always good to have a few babysitters as backup.

In our area it seems like you either must do full-time daycare (like us, even though I don’t always “need” it we have to pay for it) or a very part time Mother’s Day Out type program and then you need backup childcare for holidays and sometimes summer since many church programs are not in session during summer.

I would start looking for backup sitters at the same time you are looking for employment. I do have a link to Sittercity on the bottom of my blog. You might want to check it out!

5. MackMomma24 says:

I am so jealous of your schedule. I am currently pursuing my teaching degree just so I can have the same ‘hours’ as my baby. Right now I work full time and I hate the feeling of dumping him off just so I can pay the babysitter HALF of my check! Blah. Its an endless cycle. Looking forward to hearing other moms opinions and advice!

MackMomma24’s last blog post..craving worthiness

6. Deb - Mom of 3 Girls says:

Oh what fun – I’ll have to head over there and see what it’s all about! 🙂

I work full-time, but wish I had other options available. I’d love to go to part-time or telecommuting, but the companies around here don’t seem all that favorable toward it (yet). I’d love to hear your take on the whole ‘sick child’ issue – we dealt with that here this week…

Deb – Mom of 3 Girls’s last blog post..If it

7. heather says:

Yay! Congrats! I look forward to reading what you have to share. Although I don’t work a traditional j.o.b. anymore, I know I can apply the schedule juggling that you do to my situation.

heather’s last blog post..Welcome to My Blog!

8. The Nester says:

Blondie, I am so glad that you are part of the Blissfully D team!!!! There are so many moms who need to hear what you have to say! And personally, I cannot wait until you write about #11!

Love you!

The Nester’s last blog post..More Free Things

9. Elexis says:

Setting up the Home Office stuff would be great. I CANNOT get organized, and am now dreading getting our taxes done b/ my receipts from my small biz are totally disorganized. I’ll definetly be visiting this other site now that you’ll be there too!

Elexis’s last blog post..Par-Tay!