Feelin’ the Love

love.jpg

Miss C and Miss A’s hands, February 2005

(Because lately it’s nearly impossible to take a peaceful photo of them together.)

I keep having fantasies of these wonderful holiday traditions that are very Martha Stewart, but then I run out of time and energy. I had big plans to cut out pink paper hearts last night and leave a little trail to the den early this morning but it was late and I was tired. I gave the girls hilarious sucker pops with big plastic lips that may not be Martha-esque, but are so funny.

The girls also got new heart tights to wear to school today. Miss A’s tights have silver glittery thread hearts and Miss C’s do not so there was an uncomfortable moment of “her tights are cuter than mine!” Women. Petty jealousy rears its ugly head so young.

Do you have any traditions you remember from childhood? My mother always gave us a small Russell Stover red heart box filled with chocolates. My favorites were, and still are, the caramel filled ones and I still remember tearing open the cheery red cellophane.

Hubby and I ate lunch together since we’ve got a hot date tonight with a blonde and a brunette. We were going to go to our favorite little Italian spot but it’s closed for lunch so instead we went to a burger and beer type place, where I ended up ordering the shrimp etoufee on special. Besides, we needed a hearty lunch so we have enough energy to cope with Miss Wired on Sugar I and Miss Wired on Sugar II Electric Boogaloo tonight at the pizza place.

Happy Valentine’s Day to you and you and you! You look fabulous, by the way. Is that a new shirt?

p.s. Belated thanks to Amy at Milkbreath and Margaritas, fellow blonde and working mom, for a Your Blog is a Treasure award and to Piper of Love, who blogs at Bliss in Bloom, for a Blog of Love award! Be sure to read this sweet post from Piper about going on a date with a very special man in her life. And this post written by Amy for her daughter Sugarplum? Just beautiful.

treasure-award_momtofey.jpg

piperoflove-badge-for-blogs.jpg

1. Bluegrass Mama says:

No, I’ve had this red turtleneck for ages. No big traditions here, except hubby and I usually go out for lunch. We did go Italian today, the best part being the tiramisu. For our daughter, no chocolate, because we found heart shaped Peeps!

Bluegrass Mama’s last blog post..Thank Goodness It?s Finally Over

2. kacey says:

No, this old thing? I’m home early and I’m wearing some cute pink flannel jammie pants and a pink Gulf Shores tshirt…well, at least it’s pink. SuperGuy and I are having a quiet dinner at home tonight.

Love, love the pic of the hands. Very sweet!

kacey’s last blog post..The Perfect Husband

3. Jenni says:

Valentine’s traditions? None here, but my son’s birthday is today, so it tends to take precedence. I never went in for the commercialized love thing, anyway. But I wouldn’t mind some chocolate!

Jenni’s last blog post..We Are All Weeners *

4. krissy says:

I haven’t been by in awhile so I thought I would stop to say hi!!!

My mom always, always gave us candy and balloons. Then as we got older she just decided to skip the candy and balloons and give us the cash!!! LOL!

We take my daughter out to eat every year for VD….we do the same for St. Patty’s Day (I’m Irish)

krissy’s last blog post..Would someone please stop rocking the house???

5. Jacki says:

I don’t remember any Valentines traditions from childhood, other than the typicl class parties and such. Valentines for us meant babysitters to that mom and dad could go out.

Now we just do family things….

Jacki’s last blog post..My Constant Cheerleader

6. Amy says:

You know, my parents weren’t big on traditions AT ALL. We had to beg them to put up thee tree for Xmas some years. Maybe that is why I am so themey and annoying 😉 My poor kids- oh well, they must suffer for my themes.

I love that photo- soooooo sweet 🙂

7. Lisa says:

My Grandma always sent the good ole’ cheap school valentine with a stick of big red taped to the back along with a dollars worth of quarters. Sounds cheesy, but I always looked forward to it!
    Hope your heart day was a great one 🙂

Lisa’s last blog post..Plans? What plans!?!?

8. Liza's Eyeview says:

Belated Happy Valentine!

I was going to post a comment here when I was reading this at work on valentines but my boss called me and i got distracted. I tell yah, work is a distraction to blogging with friends 😉

yes, its a new shirt 🙂 Thanks for saying I look fabulous ;). You do too.

Liza’s Eyeview’s last blog post..Blog Away …

9. malia says:

DB and I started a Valentine’s tradition of having lunch together, instead of waiting 3 hours for a table for dinner. We went to Mere Bulles (!) for lunch and then downtown to the Schermerhorn and renewed our Pops season tickets for next season. I guess that counted as our “gift” to each other. Of course, my birthday present arriving that day was rather unexpected and fun, too.

I don’t remember my mom doing anything special on Valentines’s for us. I think sometimes we got a special dessert in our lunch or maybe some candy or a card. I have no specific memories. But in our little family, after the kids came along, I started making a strawberry, heart shaped cake and cooking a “special” dinner (you know, something other than mac ‘n cheese and hot dogs!). I barely got all of that done this year!

malia’s last blog post..On Being a Girl Scout Leader