Luckily I Distracted Her Before the Table Dancing Commenced

I was sending a fax at my office the other morning and started humming a catchy little tune.

I realized it was Hannah Montana’s “Best of Both Worlds.”

Screeeeeeeech!

The amazing thing about the popularity of Hannah Montana is that Miss C doesn’t even watch the Hannah Montana show, yet she is in love with her songs and all things bearing the Hannah Montana name, especially those hair pieces. What is up with the mass-produced hair extensions for kids?

Any way, I volunteer Friday mornings in Miss C’s classroom and while I was helping one of her classmates last week I overheard Miss C singing. Then I noticed she was starting to dance in place a little while she concentrated on cutting out shapes for a worksheet. I was thinking about how cute she looked and then it dawned on me. She was singing and dancing to a Bratz commercial that was on Nick Jr. the other day.

Oh hell to the no!

My mind started racing and in what seemed to be slow motion I walked ran to her and, in a strategic movement clearly intended to distract her, I asked her who she wanted to sit with at lunch.

What if her teacher had overheard her singing a Bratz commercial about nail bling? What if her friends had started singing along and shaking their hips in a kindergarten Bratz singalong? What if they had jumped up on the tables and grabbed a gluestick for a microphone and impromptu jam session?

GOD HELP US ALL!

I’ve now changed my tune.

Hannah Montana…rocks!

1. Dana says:

Ha! You crack me up! I don’t remember how I found your blog, but I’m so glad I did! Who knew Hannah Montana would be the lesser of two evils?! Have a great week and thanks for the giggles!

Dana’s last blog post..Daddy’s Report

2. Bridgett says:

My 6 year old seems a little puzzled by her cousin’s attraction to all things Hannah. Which is fine with me. Although I must say that she doesn’t strike me as irrevocably evil in the way that bratz dolls do. But hair extensions? I’m with ya. What’s up with that.

Bridgett’s last blog post..Easy Like Sunday Morning

3. Jennifer says:

LOL! I have caught myself humming kids songs more times then I wish to admit. I actually like Hannah…I know I’m crazy. I used to dislike the Bratz and still don’t like all the trashy clothes or globs of make-up they promote, but they do have one thing up on Barbie, their not perfect. That’s why they all have big heads and big feet, they are suppossed to resemble more of a real girl rather then perfect proportion cosmetically enhanced one. I saw the girls from the movie being interviewed and when they made that statment it made me look differently about them, although I didn’t don’t agree with the short clothes, but my kids run around the house half naked most of the time so who am I to judge…lol!

Jennifer’s last blog post..Great Giveaways

4. Deb - Mom of 3 Girls says:

LOL, I’ve come around as to Hannah Montana too – definitely the lesser of the many evils out there for young girls… Everything Bratz is banned in our house as well. Although the girls do play with them at daycare, but there’s not much I can do about that. Sigh.

Deb – Mom of 3 Girls’s last blog post..Snow and sunrise

5. Ginger says:

Hey man…at least you’ve never caught yourself singing “Hot Potato” or other faves from The Wiggles’ repertoire…that’s when I know I had truly lost my mind! 😉

Ginger’s last blog post..Milkshake

6. Jenni says:

My daughter is 4 and just starting to clue in to the fact that there are things such as Bratz, HM, Barbie, etc. We don’t do TV, so that helps curb it, but it’s amazing how quickly they grasp on from a quick glimpse at the store or a friend talking. My oldest son (6) is convinced that Hannah Montana is the name of the state.

Jenni’s last blog post..We Are All Weeners *

7. Melinda says:

They just don’t have kid’s TV shows like they used to.

I have to credit Hannah Montana, though… as annoyed as I am by modern kid’s TV (what happened to the Smurfs? Care Bears? Strawberry Shortcake?), HM is, at least, a very “moral” show, and Hannah’s always learning important moral lessons. At least.

Meanwhile I’ll be searching Ebay for a buyer for my “authentic” Cabbage Patch Kids collection.

8. kacey says:

Yes, somehow we move from humming seasame street tunes to new ones. Though my kids are older and their music is, well, awful. I know, I sound like my mother…

kacey’s last blog post..The Perfect Husband

9. Jill says:

I am woefully out of the Hannah Montana loop – or is that thankfully? I did hear on Good Morning America that, horror or all horrors, there is a scene in her new movie wherein she does not wear a seatbelt in the car. First it’s Brittney and crack and now Hannah without a seatbelt.

Jill’s last blog post..Happy Valentine’s Day

10. Art Garden says:

If she was singing a Bratz song and dancing her next move would have been to see if her friends needed help, tell the boys they don’t need them because they are independent and then seen if there were any animals to be rescued. 🙂 My little girl loves the Bratz and watching her and her friends play here for playdates that is the majority of what I see them doing.

11. Diego Bertelsen says:

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I’ve truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!