Frustrating Moments in Frugality

Yesterday I was reading my fellow Divine Caroline friend Amy’s great blog, The Mother Load. She had posted a code for a free Red Box movie rental.

After school I thought it would be a treat to take Miss C to rent a movie seeing as the weather is less than desirable.

I was all…

MUST GET FREE MOVIE!

MUST DRIVE TO MCDONALD’S AND STAND IN FRIGID COLD IN LINE WITH NO COAT ON AND 5-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER CLINGING TO MY LEGS BEHIND THREE PEOPLE DUMBASSES WHO DON’T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING WHO SCROLL THROUGH EVERY MOVIE SELECTION AS SLOW AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE!

Ahhh finally we reach the kiosk.

My fingers and brain are frozen and I get all the way to the end of the rental process only to realize you punch in the freaking code at the beginning prompt screen.

The code…that expires at midnight.

I realize it’s not worth backing out and starting all over because I am freezing to death and Miss C’s ears are starting to turn a strange shade of purplish red and it’s not worth potential hypothermia to save $1.

End up charging $1 rental on my debit card for a stupid Dora flick because it turns out the Hannah Montana movie Miss C wanted was not available.

Dammit.

I will be back, though, as I registered my e-mail address with the Red Box site and I’ve got another free movie rental code.

Only this time I’m saving it for a warm sunny day when no one else in our neighborhood will be renting movies.

1. Amy says:

Ah Ha! Code at the beginning!! I tried to get my free one and couldn’t figure out when to put in the dang code! Still, for a buck, it’s not bad at all!

2. Ellen says:

Hey (to be completely off-topic, although this does in fact make me cheap so I suppose it’s somewhat related), any chance Little Piddles is going to give you a promo code to give to all us great people who didn’t win your giveaway?

I have some stuff I want to order but have been stalling just in case they give us a consolation prize!

Ellen’s last blog post..Life is Very Hard

3. Lisa says:

So glad to know there are others in the world who will do just about anything to save a buck somedays. Oh how I love to save money, and oh how it ticks me off to no end when it doesn’t work the way I had planned!

Lisa’s last blog post..Where is my manual?

4. kacey says:

I don’t know what rock I’ve been living under, but I just found out about these rentals when my college son was home for the weekend. Of course I don’t frequent McD’s anymore now that the kids are in college. Maybe that’s my excuse…

kacey’s last blog post..Things that Make Me Smile

5. Jenni says:

Sounds like the time I went to the grocery store specifically to buy some vegetables I could get with free with a coupon. I drove 15 miles and got to the checkout line only to realize I had forgotten the coupons.

Jenni’s last blog post..So I’m A Little Odd

6. Loralee says:

The extents we will go to earn a buck are hilarious!
    I’m sorry you stood in line for nothing, although if you HADN’T then we couldn’t chuckle at that witty rant, so…Never mind.

😉

Loralee’s last blog post..Sideblog:Caught up!

7. Filtering Life says:

McDonalds really does screw you ever which way. If it doesn’t kill you with the food content, it will kill you with frustration.

PS- I hate your spam filter…why oh why does it hate on me?

oh Lord. This is how it would have worked out for me, except I’d have had the three urchins turning purple and complainging about the cold…and then my head would have popped off.

Anne’s last blog post..Overheard at the bathtub

9. killlashandra says:

I’ve always thought those $1 rental boxes more hassle than they’re worth. For me, they are located right inside the first set of sliding doors going into Wal-Mart. Like you, if you want to rent anything you have to stand in line and bear the cold air everytime the door opens and closes. And with a toddler myself, no way is it worth the time.

I agree, wait for a summer day to try again. 🙂

killlashandra’s last blog post..Wordless Wednesday – Snake

10. Amy says:

Oh no! Bummer! Thanks a lot stoopid Amy from the The Mother load 😉 I am going to add a side note that people have to enter the code in first since that wasn’t on there. I had a hard time with that myself when I tried a code for the first time.

So sorry- what a bust!