Don’t Ever Come Between a Girl and Her Lipgloss

I finally got a haircut and highlights on Friday. My last haircut was in November and with the awesome tri-tone roots I was sporting, I was one missed shampoo from looking like a homeless woman. I’d have to look a my calendar to see when I last got highlights. I was overdue for them in December but having to write an unexpected check to the hospital for almost $400 just a few weeks before Christmas inspired me to try to touch them up myself. My advice to you ladies is step away from the Miss Clairol and, when in doubt, always stick to blonde, unless you want ghetto hair. I started freaking out when my roots looked to be turning a fiery copper red and I washed the solution out, so it wasn’t too bad. I told my hairdresser about the entire red stripe fiasco and she smiled and smugly nodded. “That’s why people shouldn’t do their own color at home.”

I got home at 6 with both girls, handed them over to the hubby’s very capable hands, and headed over to Nashville blog buddy Malia’s home. She hosted a lovely spa party and I got to sip wine and get pampered along with several very cool bloggers (Aunt B., Shauna, Kathy T., Jag, Lesley, and Mari.) And Malia, I am still thinking of that delicious chocolate cake you made!

Yesterday I took the girls to visit my mother-in-law. She has two weeks of radiation treatments left and is doing well, but please continue to keep her in your thoughts and prayers. I took a nap at my inlaws house while the girls watched a movie and then I went shopping at Belk for over an hour and a half. All this lounging around reminded me of LBK (Life Before Kids) and I realized how I once took for granted the ability to soak my feet in sea salts and sip on a glass of wine without someone shrieking, “Mommy, she’s hitting me!”

Although I consider myself feminine, I’m not really a girly girl. I don’t think I’ve had a professional manicure since the 1990s. So to indulge in so much pampering in the past 48 hours was indeed a luxury. I may go all out later today and fire up my pumice stone. I know. Somebody stop me!

Miss A picked up on the pampering theme for the weekend and broke into big sister’s hot pink glitter Barbie makeup case last night. She got her grubby little hands on a tube of blue lipgloss. What sadist decided that blue should be a universal option in play makeup sets? I mean blue is such an attractive lip color, especially when you’re not raising your child to audition to be a part of the Blue Man Group or to moonlight as a Smurfette.

She wasn’t very happy when I took it away from her.

blue-lipgloss.jpg

1. Jerseygirl89 says:

Suddenly I am so thankful that my little girl will only use pink gloss. Too bad it’s mine. But that picture is great!

Jerseygirl89’s last blog post..Soap Opera Sunday, Episode 12

Amy:

I generally hate about 99 percent of all photos of myself. Plus now I’ve washed and styled it myself which means it kind of looks like it did before only blonde! 😉

3. lisel stone says:

I have finally given up on home haircolor too. It’s so cheap that it’s always tempting though. One time I accidently ended up with bright, bright, candy apple read. So not pretty. I had to have it fixed, which cost $150. After that my husband told me I am no longer allowed to try it at home. Probably a good thing.
    Blue lipgloss may be the next big make-up trend!

lisel stone’s last blog post..You’re Too Pretty to be Smart

I was afraid I was going to end up spending more to have mine fixed, but it just needed highlights over it.

I used to be very blonde as a kid but now my natural color is kind of a “mouse ass” brown. Any way, I do treat myself to highlights at the swanky salon. But that’s my only beauty indulgence like that!

And as far as the blue lipgloss? I am still finding evidence of it. 😉

5. Jill says:

I guess I’ve never even considered the fact that there is BLUE lipgloss…cute photo. And **yeah** for you and all your pampering. (We are chanting “post a picture of your hair”). I was actually in Belk quite awhile myself this weekend – alone! I think I circled the handbag department at least 1,459 times. (Select Coach purses were 50% off.) My husband always wonders how I can spend so much time in a store. It’s the confusion of being alone combined with all that retail stimulation. I swear sometimes I just stand there, in the shoe department, with my mouth hanging open.

Jill’s last blog post..Let It Snow!

6. Jenni says:

And the sparkle dust! What 4 year old is really going to keep it in the teensy, tiny plastic container and not all over her room? Well, not mine anyway.

She is pretty darn cute in blue.